Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumOverlord)
    No, mastering physics is a form of assessment. If you look under the module description there may well be a reference to this abomination software. And yeh as for the modules, you will see the 2 physics, 2 maths and the optional module. You need six modules in total, but foundations 1 is a double module.

Are you doing hard or easy maths? One is called SMA/SMB the other is probability/calculus and linear algebra. I think in either case its just for personal use.

You get to see past exams, there are about 5 years worth in the library tab on duo. But solutions/mark schemes are a different matter...
    What is the difference between the two options? And, more importantly, how do I choose?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's the general feeling about Queen's Campus? Do you feel part of Durham or a bit excluded from the masses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock_Set)
    Oh, does this come with the textbook? I think I might have read about it actually. Are these just optional questions then?

I wasn't sure, I think I'm going to just do the normal maths as I have't done further maths A2. Are there advantages for taking either one or just personal preference?

At least you can see the questions then, can you not ask someone for the solutions or does it depend on the module?
    It does come with the textbook, and yes I think they are optional for your year. You should still do them though.

Basically if you are doing a physics degree you will by default do SMA/SMB, unless you request to do the harder one. Personally I would advise sticking with the easy option, unless you are very confident in your maths ability (the university will give similar advice).

The solutions to some past papers may be given at the digression of the individual lecturer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExcitinglyMundane)
    What is the difference between the two options? And, more importantly, how do I choose?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One is taught by the maths department, one by the physics department. Unless you make a fuss about it, you'll do SMA/SMB.

ReputationRep:
    It does come with the textbook, and yes I think they are optional for your year. You should still do them though.

Basically if you are doing a physics degree you will by default do SMA/SMB, unless you request to do the harder one. Personally I would advise sticking with the easy option, unless you are very confident in your maths ability (the university will give similar advice).

The solutions to some past papers may be given at the digression of the individual lecturer.
    Are the questions anything like the exams? Yeah, I want to just stick with those

How do you do past papers without solutions, discuss with friends?

ReputationRep:
    Are the questions anything like the exams? Yeah, I want to just stick with those

How do you do past papers without solutions, discuss with friends?
    Yes bouncing ideas off people is a good way to learn. I think the idea is that if you understand the content really well you shouldn't need to have solutions. Also remember that 70% is an excellent mark, gone are the days when 90% was a realistic goal - getting >80% is outstanding, literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExcitinglyMundane)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Both SMA&SMB and Linear Algebra/Calculus and probability are taught by the maths department.

It also isn't fair to differentiate by "Easy" and "hard" maths; they are both fairly complicated at times, and easier at others.
    Mostly, though, SMA and SMB are tailored as skills for a science degree, whereas LA and CP are maths based, and more focussed upon maths for maths sake. I would suggest that unless you have an interest in maths for the sake of maths, then SMA and SMB will be a far better use of time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes bouncing ideas off people is a good way to learn. I think the idea is that if you understand the content really well you shouldn't need to have solutions. Also remember that 70% is an excellent mark, gone are the days when 90% was a realistic goal - getting >80% is outstanding, literally.
    Which I always thought was ridiculous; if one knows the content so well, the requirement for past papers at all would be gone.

I always suspected laziness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infraspecies)
    Which I always thought was ridiculous; if one knows the content so well, the requirement for past papers at all would be gone.

I always suspected laziness.
    I liked them to get an idea of how the papers are ordered. I noticed with AQA, you often had to get particular keys word or show a particular line of working out to get the marks, that's why I used them. I generally used them a few weeks before the exam, but beforehand I'd just go over the content and try to make sure I knew it.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's been asked before, but has anyone still not got their replies to the AS12 email. I'm getting quite worried that they've looked over it or something, and I know some people from my college already have theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spocklock)
    I know it's been asked before, but has anyone still not got their replies to the AS12 email. I'm getting quite worried that they've looked over it or something, and I know some people from my college already have theirs.
    They haven't replied to mine yet either

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Anyone from EU countries (not UK) who will be staying at Stephenson College? Just want to see if I´m the only one . If there are any, when will you be moving in. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I may have slightly sent two I sent one the day after results, but got a letter from UCAS this morning that told me to send another! So I did. I still haven't heard anything from them though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatiePapaya)
    I may have slightly sent two I sent one the day after results, but got a letter from UCAS this morning that told me to send another! So I did. I still haven't heard anything from them though...
    Sent mine on results day, still not heard back. I don't think anyone needs to worry yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reiss64)
    They haven't replied to mine yet either

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by KatiePapaya)
    (Original post by Tomtech)
    Sent mine on results day, still not heard back. I don't think anyone needs to worry yet.
    Hi everyone! There's nothing to worry about. The University receives a high volume of AS12s in just a couple of days and it takes a little while to work through them all. There won't be an e-mail when the AS12 is processed, instead it starts a process that results in the generation of your student record, then your Durham e-mail account and finally your username and password. This process can take up to 4 working days after the AS12 is processed so it's absolutely fine if you don't hear for a couple of weeks, things will be happening behind the scenes and your log-in details for enrolment will be on their way. Hope that helps to reassure you, have a great weekend!

ReputationRep:
    Really? What about watching something on your phone/tablet? I am dreadfully bad at practicals, I hated the ISA's at A-Level, I'm hoping they'll be better at Uni, but I'm scared I'll still be awful :L Haha, yeah, most people find astro to be the most interesting. I found it so hard to choose between theoretical and astro
    Hmm I still feel pretty sick watching something on a screen too, which hugely sucks :/ YES ISAs were SO stressful, I'm so glad to have them over cus I reeeally didn't enjoy them :L yeh I have the same worry that I'm going to be bad at practicals... In fact I'm worried I'm going to be awful at all of it ahah :P oh righty well theoretical sounds good too what A Levels did you do? Physics, maths and...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyW456)
    Hmm I still feel pretty sick watching something on a screen too, which hugely sucks :/ YES ISAs were SO stressful, I'm so glad to have them over cus I reeeally didn't enjoy them :L yeh I have the same worry that I'm going to be bad at practicals... In fact I'm worried I'm going to be awful at all of it ahah :P oh righty well theoretical sounds good too what A Levels did you do? Physics, maths and...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That train journey will suck then :L In my class I think like 70/80% got U's, they were so tough. I have doubted whether I even deserve to be on this course so many times I did Physics, Maths and Chemistry A-Levels, Biology and Further Maths AS Levels, my college didn't offer A2 Further Maths. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    That train journey will suck then :L In my class I think like 70/80% got U's, they were so tough. I have doubted whether I even deserve to be on this course so many times I did Physics, Maths and Chemistry A-Levels, Biology and Further Maths AS Levels, my college didn't offer A2 Further Maths. What about you?
    Yep :/ wow blimey yeh they have such tight grade boundaries on ISAs :/ yeh me too- but we got the grades to get on to it so we must deserve it, I'm just glad there wasn't an interview :P oh right, ah that's annoying they didn't offer A2 further maths :/
    well after GCSEs I didn't know what I wanted to do at uni so picked a range of subjects- so I chose Physics, Maths, Geography and Politics- I dropped politics after AS and then kind of picked up Further Maths although I didn't do any exams in it, just studied FP1, most of FP2 and half of stats (stats was so boring wow) ... So yeh kinda complicated/ weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyW456)
    Yep :/ wow blimey yeh they have such tight grade boundaries on ISAs :/ yeh me too- but we got the grades to get on to it so we must deserve it, I'm just glad there wasn't an interview :P oh right, ah that's annoying they didn't offer A2 further maths :/
    well after GCSEs I didn't know what I wanted to do at uni so picked a range of subjects- so I chose Physics, Maths, Geography and Politics- I dropped politics after AS and then kind of picked up Further Maths although I didn't do any exams in it, just studied FP1, most of FP2 and half of stats (stats was so boring wow) ... So yeh kinda complicated/ weird
    Did you get chance to do much mechanics?

ReputationRep:
    I found it so hard to choose between theoretical and astro
    At the end of your second year, once your results have come back you can make a free choice to switch between any of the three strands, you don't have to worry about this until way further down the line =P

Physics practicals are ok in first year, nothing like ISAs really, you will inevitably do the lab prep in 5 minutes at 1am the night before and still end up paired with someone less prepared/worse at practicals/more hungover and sleep deprived than yourself =)

Even though first year doesn't actually contribute to your degree its still important to do as well as you can, firstly as it does go on your transcript which you'll have to send to employers/summer project people when making applications. Secondly if you screw up one of your later years or get ill or something it helps to have proof you actually are good at Physics when the board of examiners considers your case.

All that said do commit as much time as you can to having fun, getting good at your degree is what the Easter holidays are for!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.