OCR Physics A G484 - The Newtonian World - 11th June 2015 Watch

sarcastic-sal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ki Yung Na)
Guess I'll do the same. Thanks

Fair enough; sounds reasonable. Now that you mention on it, if fields/electromagnetism hardest topic (considering it's the most in depth I think you're right); it really isn't too bad - that's a bit reassuring. That said I need to practice the lengthier questions to avoid waffle that can trip me up.

If you don't mind. How has your revision been arranged, as in, after you finished the topics in class did you just start doing past paper after past paper?

Thanks for the reply btw.
I'm dreading medical physics, that seems the wordiest physics topic possible and I can't stand having to write long answers in physics (you wouldn't think I did AS English lit last year!).

I've avoided the newer past papers so I can save them for closer to exam time. This website http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...hysics-papers/ has been my main source of old spec questions (my teacher gives us most of them to do but not all, plus there's applicable old spec edexcel/aqa questions too). I'm trying to make sure I'm not 'wasting' past papers by doing them before I've done proper revision so I've only done Jan & June 2010 so far (and June 2014 as a mock in class).
Makashima
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Damien_Dalgaard)
Doing it soon.

Did you find it difficult or very easy?

Seems to be the general feeling surrounding g486

To be honest I dont quite remember, we did it at start of November which was very early. She said she wanted to get the practicals out of the way.

I found it easier than AS, well to be honest in AS Physics I never understood anything, like I was one of the dumbest kid in the class xD?
MrChemKid
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Makashima)
My teacher suppose to tell us the result this week, hopefully tomorrow or the latest friday...How about you, what did you get?
i got 8/10, 17/20, 7/10 - so im on 32/40.

I can never do well on evaluative
Makashima
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MrChemKid)
i got 8/10, 17/20, 7/10 - so im on 32/40.

I can never do well on evaluative
Wow that is very good! Nearly full mark on every questions
Seems like my teacher didnt tell us today, so it will be next week :L
Shall inform you soon then when I get it back...
Hilton184
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can anyone explain how to go about finding the difference in your weight at the equator of the Earth and at the North Pole?
Radius of Earth = 6.4x10^6 m
One day = 8.64x10^4 s
Person = 70kg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tiwa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anybody have the June 2014 Newtonian world paper?
Elcor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hilton184)
Can anyone explain how to go about finding the difference in your weight at the equator of the Earth and at the North Pole?
Radius of Earth = 6.4x10^6 m
One day = 8.64x10^4 s
Person = 70kg
Is it a trick question where the difference is 0 N? I know there would be a difference in reality, but I can't think of any Newtonian World knowledge which could answer it.
rachelc142
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Elcor)
Is it a trick question where the difference is 0 N? I know there would be a difference in reality, but I can't think of any Newtonian World knowledge which could answer it.
Yeah it is, I remember that question, if I remember correctly it also says "state" the difference and it's 1 mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rachelc142)
Yeah it is, I remember that question, if I remember correctly it also says "state" the difference and it's 1 mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
That probably would have been obvious from the question then
Hilton184
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Elcor)
No it's a question in the OCR textbook on the page about gravitational fields.

My teacher explained it to me.

At the North Pole your weight is equal to mg, because you are stood on the axis of rotation so there is no centripetal force.

At the equator, you are not stood on the axis of rotation. Hence you experience circular motion. mg-N=mv^2/r
Solve for N
This is your weight at the equator.

Note the difference between weight and apparent weight. It's unclear really, but by asking for weight it actually wants the apparent weight, because your 'normal' weight is equal to mg - I assume this is why the term weightlessness exists; when experiencing weightlessness, you're weight is of course equal to mg. It is your apparent weight that is 0, as a result of no reaction force being exerted on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hilton184)
No it's a question in the OCR textbook on the page about gravitational fields.

My teacher explained it to me.

At the North Pole your weight is equal to mg, because you are stood on the axis of rotation so there is no centripetal force.

At the equator, you are not stood on the axis of rotation. Hence you experience circular motion. mg-N=mv^2/r
Solve for N
This is your weight at the equator.

Note the difference between weight and apparent weight. It's unclear really, but by asking for weight it actually wants the apparent weight, because your 'normal' weight is equal to mg - I assume this is why the term weightlessness exists; when experiencing weightlessness, you're weight is of course equal to mg. It is your apparent weight that is 0, as a result of no reaction force being exerted on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah yes that makes sense, it's mechanical forces on our bodies that produces apparent g-forces we experience. In an exam they would make it clear that you need to find the contact force.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damien_Dalgaard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tiwa)
Does anybody have the June 2014 Newtonian world paper?
Don't cheat dude.
Tiwa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't cheat dude.
Cheat as how? I already did it for my mock in January. I just want to use it for revision.
Tiwa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't cheat dude.
Believe me, I've got better things to do with my time then cheat for a mock exam. If I did that, I'm only cheating myself because I can't do that in the real exam.
ConSlom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone have a good set of flashcards/standard answers for this or G485 anywhere?
Damien_Dalgaard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tiwa)
Cheat as how? I already did it for my mock in January. I just want to use it for revision.

(Original post by Tiwa)
Believe me, I've got better things to do with my time then cheat for a mock exam. If I did that, I'm only cheating myself because I can't do that in the real exam.
Preach it brah, I believe you, there are youtube videos of people answering the questions but I haven't found a blank transcript of it. I can send you the YouTube links if you want them.
Tiwa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Preach it brah, I believe you, there are youtube videos of people answering the questions but I haven't found a blank transcript of it. I can send you the YouTube links if you want them.
I would really appreciate that! Thank you!
MrChemKid
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone know how to get the accuracy mark in the evaluative pApers?
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I found out my practical mark. I've got 33/40 and have one more chance at a qualitative to get a maximum of three more marks.
Based on last years UMS conversions, I now need roughly 118/160 or 95% UMS in the exams. I'm so glad the exam grade boundaries are so low.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)
I found out my practical mark. I've got 33/40 and have one more chance at a qualitative to get a maximum of three more marks.
Based on last years UMS conversions, I now need roughly 118/160 or 95% UMS in the exams. I'm so glad the exam grade boundaries are so low.
I'm on the same :lol:

I got 20/20, 5/10 and 8/10 (this one though was unfair imo but ah well)

Gonna redo those 2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (476)
38.17%
No - but I will (95)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (589)
47.23%

Watched Threads