Fine Art 2015 Applications Watch

ann333ie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by meganabcdefg)
Heyy!

I'm at the Oxford Brookes Foundation course at the moment The advice that they've given to us this year is NOT to put anything in plastic sleeves and they said that they don't really like it when they look at folios with plastic sleeves because they reflect light and don't think that the work can be seen properly that way.

So if I was you I wouldn't go for the plastic sleeves! Just my advice - Although I doubt it would ruin your chances if your work is good enough anyway

And if you are really concerned that your work will get ruined without the sleeves then do use them because obviously it's important that your work stays safe!

Please feel free to ask me any more questions about the course or the place or whatever you like!

Good luck!
Thanks!!
I am a bit worried about the work as the folder is bigger than the sheets so they might move around a lot.... But I know they strongly advise not to put in sleeves. Personally I quite like the sleeves I think they make it look professional but I don't want to put them off.

On their website it also says maximum 20 A1 sheets...
I have about 23 A2 sheets of work... Will this matter?? I don't want them to get fed up and quit looking - but I also sort of think all the work is important and I'm scared to rearrange or take anything out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ann333ie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by eei)
When I put collagraphs, I use tissue to line them. Also had some newsprint between the mounted stuff and the charcoal drawings. I don't think it mattered much. Still better than plastic sleeves
Good advice!! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
ann333ie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm also worried because I've included work from multiple different projects and subjects... On their site they ask for a lot of drawing work, but mines all a bit mixed really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
meganabcdefg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AnnieLS)
Thanks!!
I am a bit worried about the work as the folder is bigger than the sheets so they might move around a lot.... But I know they strongly advise not to put in sleeves. Personally I quite like the sleeves I think they make it look professional but I don't want to put them off.

On their website it also says maximum 20 A1 sheets...
I have about 23 A2 sheets of work... Will this matter?? I don't want them to get fed up and quit looking - but I also sort of think all the work is important and I'm scared to rearrange or take anything out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say that if it says maximum 20 A1 sheets then 23 A2 sheets is fine as they're technically half A1 size!
ann333ie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would it be weird if I kept some of the very textural and delicate work in sleeves, and the more flat pieces just on the sheets? Or would that look messy and disorganised ....

Posted from TSR Mobile
ann333ie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by meganabcdefg)
I would say that if it says maximum 20 A1 sheets then 23 A2 sheets is fine as they're technically half A1 size!
That's what I was thinking thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
meganabcdefg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would it be weird if I kept some of the very textural and delicate work in sleeves, and the more flat pieces just on the sheets? Or would that look messy and disorganised ....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that would be better than putting it all in sleeves because I think they can understand that there are certain pieces that need protection
CT1402
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey any quick advice anyone can give me ?

I have my A2 sheets mounted with work on ready to show for Oxford brookes foundation course tomorrow, but because of some larger pieces of work I'm taking a A1 portfolio.
It's really so much more practical for me to keep the smaller sheets in plastic sleeves, it looks so much tidier and a lot of the work is textural and could be easily ruined - but I know that Oxford brookes like the sleeves to be loose - I just think they'll all get creased and ruined when I put my big sketchbooks in.... Do you think it would really ruin my chances if I kept my sheets organised in sleeves like they have been for my other portfolio drop offs? This application is really important as I'd love a place there! Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For my folio I mounted all my work on A2 grey-board and just kept tissue paper in-between to protect prints. It's pretty heavy but It's sturdy so your work won't get ruined
ann333ie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks everyone! I've decided to go without sleeves & just use a little clip at the top to keep them all from falling about - hopefully they'll just know to unclip and move the sheets around? Or right before I drop it off I can just remove it so they're fully loose (I'm using it mainly for during transport!)

It looks better without sleeves actually, but fat sketchbooks make it a bit difficult

Maybe I'm just over thinking it 😂 I also have put some of my textural larger pieces in the pocket at the back separate with labels.

Wish me luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
meganabcdefg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks everyone! I've decided to go without sleeves & just use a little clip at the top to keep them all from falling about - hopefully they'll just know to unclip and move the sheets around? Or right before I drop it off I can just remove it so they're fully loose (I'm using it mainly for during transport!)

It looks better without sleeves actually, but fat sketchbooks make it a bit difficult

Maybe I'm just over thinking it 😂 I also have put some of my textural larger pieces in the pocket at the back separate with labels.

Wish me luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck!!!
AiiSuri
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I made a thread for those who applied to Goldsmiths
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3160937
Bethmellett
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone heard anything since getting these emails from chelsea? Do we just take that as a rejection?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I had a progression agreement with UAL so I went for my interview for Chelsea/Camberwell a few weeks ago. Basically when they interview international students, they consider them for any courses included in the CCW colleges. A LOT of people apply for Chelsea and simply aren't strong enough but they would work better somewhere else in UAL. In my interview this happened to me, I applied for Drawing at Camberwell and Fine Art at Chelsea but they offered me the Drawing course, rejected me from Chelsea and also an alternative course at Wimbledon on the spot.

They said this is the first year they are giving Uk students alternative offers rather than rejections in some cases - even though its frustrating its better than a straight up rejection!
eei
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh, hi Beth thanks for clarification. They didn't tell me anything during the interview at Camberwell (was told to wait until the interviews are over). I've heard about another girl who was given an offer on the spot, though. Still hoping a bit that Chelsea would recommend my application to Wimbledon, but deep down there don't count on it. It seems to be a standard reply now, since even the standard letter inviting to the interview at Camberwell mentioned the alternative offer.
treemoon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has anyone applied to BA Fine Art at gloucester *cheltenham school of art* or know anyone that has? As no one seems to of applied there :/
sammiwilli
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ello, has any1 applied for brighton fine art critical practice? had an interview last week but haven't heard yet n other ppl had offers like 2 days after. no its not that long but supa stressd cos its my joint fav n jus wna kno if anyones heard anything gd or bad !!
eei
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wut?
eei
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But I'd wait bit longer. I'm In the same boat - some people had offers like two days later
crevette
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello everyone ! I have an interview at Chelsea on Thursday and I'm wondering if the interview will be more like a discussion or a portfolio review... What should I bring with my portfolio ? I am not working with sketchbooks so what can I expect ?
Thank you !
Notwinter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll let you know how everything goes, my Chelsea interview is in like 2 hours haha
meganabcdefg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Notwinter)
I'll let you know how everything goes, my Chelsea interview is in like 2 hours haha
Good luck! Let us know how it went!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads