Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Subject: Music
    College: St Hugh's
    Outcome: Offer!!!!:eek:
    Conditions: AAA
    How did you hear? Got an email and only actually read that New College weren't offering me a place and was gutted. After rereading I saw that another college was offering me a place! Was completely shocked
    How do you feel? In shock but overjoyed

Any other music/St Hugh's people feel free to message me!

ReputationRep:
    Subject: Economics & Management
    College: St. Hugh's
    Outcome: Offer
    Conditions: A*AA, can't include already achieved Maths (😒)
    How did you hear? (email/letter/phone/owl): Letter
    How do you feel? Can't really believe it..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Subject: French & Beginner's Russian
    College: Lincoln
    Conditions: AAA including French
    How did you hear? Letter
    How do you feel: I've looked at the letter like ten times just to check I haven't misread it. That sums it up.

ReputationRep:
    Subject: Law (Senior Status)
    College: St. Anne's
    Conditions: A First in my current undergraduate degree (help!)
    How do you feel? Absolutely delighted, but starting to get nervous about funding two more years at university.

ReputationRep:
    Subject: History
    College: Magdalen
    Conditions: Hard copies of A level certificates (A levels already completed)
    How do you feel? Somewhat surprised when I opened the letter since I was convinced my interviews went horribly, but other than that I was surprisingly subdued!

ReputationRep:
    Subject: Mathematics
    College:
    Magdalen
    Outcome:
    Offer
    Conditions:
    A*A*A With A* in Maths and FM
    How did you hear? (email/letter/phone/owl:
    Letter
    How do you feel:
    Incredible, it was a great surprise and desperate to go!

ReputationRep:
    Subject: Engineering
    College: Wadham
    Conditions: A*AA (A* in maths, FM or physics)
    How did you hear? Letter
    How do you feel? Still in a state of shock, as I wasn't even expecting an interview after the PAT. After both of my interviews, my face was bright red and although I felt they went okay (i.e. I didn't want to cry after them) I knew that the competition was going to be very tough and I was just perhaps average and squeezed out by the competition. Receiving that letter made me incredibly happy and proud of myself, I actually did it!

ReputationRep:
    How did you hear: Letter - still waiting for an owl to arrive!
    How do you feel: Excited, but still very much surprised and waiting for the realisation to dawn upon me!

ReputationRep:
    Subject: French and German
    Outcome: Offer!
    How did you hear: letter
    How did you feel: So happy!! 😃 it still hasn't quite sunk in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    College: New College
    How did you hear? (email/letter/phone/owl): Email and letter
    How do you feel? Overwhelmed, but excited!

ReputationRep:
    Subject: Chemistry
    College: Wadham
    Conditions: A*AA
    How did you hear? Letter
    How do you feel? So happy!! Really enjoyed my interviews so hoped for the best, but competition was still tough!

ReputationRep:
    Subject: English
    Outcome: Rejection
    Conditions: n/a
    How did you hear? Letter
    How do you feel? Worse than I thought I would but at the same time weirdly conscious of the fact that I would have been terrified if I had gotten an offer

ReputationRep:
    Subject: Geography
    College: St Hilda's
    Conditions: A*AA
    How did you hear? Letter
    How do you feel? It has still not sunk in yet even after a week since receiving my letter, feels rather surreal and I keep on checking my letter to make sure that I have not read it wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Course: CAAH
    Interview Colleges: Brasenose , LMH, Lincoln
    Outcome: Offer at LMH
    How did you hear: Email
    How do you feel: Stunned and wary, I'm still checking the email periodically to check that I have not misread it...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit late to the party. :party:

Subject: Law (Jurisprudence)
    College:
    Lady Margaret Hall (pooled from Brasenose)
    Conditions:
    A*AA as a rough conversion (I'm international) - achieved
    How did you hear? (email/letter/phone/owl):
    Email and the letter came a week later
    How do you feel?
    Pretty good I guess. I'm detached from the "Oxford" of it all (as I'm uncertain about the college) so it's more a validation of my achievement which is nice.

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry about LMH. From what I hear it's a fab college, and it's really not that far out, 5 mins on a bike. I know it might feel "swankier" going to one of the ancient colleges, but your actual Oxford experience might be better at somewhere like LMH. Also it's got a new principal Alan Rusbridger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oskarwithak)
    I'm a bit late to the party. :party:

Subject: Law (Jurisprudence)
    College:
    Lady Margaret Hall (pooled from Brasenose)
    Conditions:
    A*AA as a rough conversion (I'm international) - achieved
    How did you hear? (email/letter/phone/owl):
    Email and the letter came a week later
    How do you feel?
    Pretty good I guess. I'm detached from the "Oxford" of it all (as I'm uncertain about the college) so it's more a validation of my achievement which is nice.
    LMH is a wonderful college and I also have an offer to study law there!! The atmosphere at interview was so friendly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Subject: law jurisprudence
    College: queens
    Conditions:AAA
    How did you hear? letter
    How do you feel?: shocked cannot believe it scared i wont get the grades but excited aswell

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I am new to this forum but I really really need HELP!

I hold offers from Oxford University for PPE and from LSE for Philosophy and Economics and I am having trouble to decide which one of them to select as my firm choice.

My school teachers are pushing me towards Oxford I think because it will look good for Ofsted and I feel like I have gone through a lot of trouble (TSA, interviews, etc) only for Oxford. Also when I was there the town felt enchanted.

But I feel that my heart lies with LSE. These are my reasons:

-The job prospects seem to be much better - the course, despite lacking compulsory politics, looks more interesting and applicable to today.
    -Despite Oxford's magical aura, I think London may be more advantageous at the end of the day - there is more to do on a daily basis and I can find a job more easily, both during my studies if I need to and afterwards.
    -Also I feel that LSE will provide me with a better student experience. Oxford's education from what I heard is overwhelming and you do not have time to enjoy yourself during your studies. The traditional aspect of Oxford (formal hall etc) looks appealing but I have been told that this is only interesting in the beginning.
    -The reputation of LSE is improving and of Oxford diminishing slowly from what I can see. I want to be ahead in life and so maybe LSE will be better for this.

As you can see, I personally prefer LSE but I am having trouble declining Oxford because of the "excitement" created around it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Martin

ReputationRep:
    So my mum went to the LSE and is an LSE fanatic, but she always told me that LSE's employability strengths lie in certain degrees. Some are very strong (Economics, Management etc.), whilst others are weaker (she's always made fun of LSE Law).

LSE Phil. + Eco. is great, but really all it's doing, and trying to do, is to copy something that Oxford is famous for, and rightly so: PPE.

PPE at Oxford is PPE at Oxford. Nothing in that field resonates so strongly with employers.

At the end of the day though, it's up to you. Do you want to get straight into the high-octane London lifestyle, or enjoy a weird academic utopia for four years before working? Do you think you'll work well in the tutorial system, or are you indifferent? Have you gone through the comprehensive course lists for both programmes?

At the end of the day though, the right choice is the one that you make.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.