Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 고구마)
    I think anyone complaining that London is a cesspool of immigrants is a bit rich if you are from the north.
    According to the 2011 census:
    London:
    White (59.8%)
    Asian (18.4%)
    Black (13.3%)

B'ham (the *possible* inventor of the balti:
    White (57.9%)
    Asian (26.6%)
    Black (8.9%)

Liverpool:
    White (66.7%)
    Asian (14.4%)
    Black (8.6%)

Leicester:
    White (50.6%)
    Asian (31.8%)
    Black (6.3%)
    Liverpool is 91 percent white. Not sure where you are getting your stats from...

ReputationRep:
    I have visited London a few times as someone I know lives there and will go down to them for the weekend sometimes. I think that London is okay, is has some nice things. I like it in some respects however overall I don't like it. I couldn't live there. It is too over crowd, everything is over priced, costs more for every thing to do with your life, and other things can't think of.

I think that there are more people that don't like London than people that do like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpion95)
    I think that there are more people that don't like London than people that do like it.
    I doubt it. With all due respect, I could not possibly disagree harder. Millions of people pay the astronomical living costs all too well documented just to be a part of this town. Think, too, of the millions of visitors from Europe and the rest of the world that drop by every year, entirely infatuated. It takes money to live here, but trust me, if you have enough to get by it's worth it.

I think it's a tiny minority consisting almost exclusively of middle class British people that openly dislike London. I've lived in multiple countries and travel regularly, and have met very few people in my life that dislike London. The few that do have been, as mentioned earlier, certain demographics of the British population.

ReputationRep:
    Because there are too many ****ing people in London thats why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Borgia)
    Liverpool is 91 percent white. Not sure where you are getting your stats from...
    Here are all the stats for you. The poster is indeed very wrong. Also comes with interactive map.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...-england-wales

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ,,,,)
    God damn it you're everywhere, hmm you have good taste in places lmao.

London's cool, it is a bit pricey, I don't know if I can see myself living here for the rest of my life though. True it is extremely busy and anti-social but meh that's London for you!
    Thanks , i would love to have a place in either Mayfair or Kensington just to stop at when I go but would need mega millions to get somewhere decent with space and that isn’t leasehold, I don’t see why I would pay millions for a place I have effectively rented for a alloted amount of time:facepalm:.

London is a really nice place but I dunno how they justify charging ridic prices for everything £3.50 for 500ml Oasis summer fruits like are they mental lol. Have thought of other places you could live?

ReputationRep:
    I live in a detached house with a drive. I am a short walk away from the largest park in the country (excluding national parks). Their is also very low crime in my aria.

It's grate living in the countryside, oh no wait a second I live in London.

ReputationRep:
    I have just moved there and I have to say I really don't like london. Expensive, busy, too big. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)

This post on youtube comment made me depressed, London is awesome.
    I lived in lots of areas & London is the best!
    Everyone is jealous of us Londoners cause we get the best this country can provide & that sicko on utube is a racist 'no foreigners'>( Ignore this racist London is the city of awesomeness and multi culture !

ReputationRep:
    I freakin LOVE IT! I love the different cultures, people shoving and pushing you, the hustle and bustle in the underground, the rudeness. I got knocked on the head on the bus once. It was calm I retaliated by swiftly giving her the dirty eye and she apologised. So many memories there.. But it's insane how expensive it is to live there. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood)
    Things I like about London:

Parks in the summer
    Everything goes on here (festivals/exhibitions whatever)
    Good weather compared to Northern England
    Lots of jobs
    Where I live it's pretty 'nice'

Things I hate about London:

Ridiculously overpriced
    Too congested / polluted / takes ages to get anywhere
    Underground is awful on hot days and at rush hour
    Surroundings are 'boring' in terms of nature/walking compared to areas like the Lake District
    Terrible cycling infrastructure
    Pretty much this tbh
    Parks are really nice
    Every thing is in London. You only have to walk for about 10 minutes, and you're near a tube station
    Jobs are a plenty

It is way too overpriced, and also expensive to commute in from some placees If I get a job in central London, it's gonna be cheaper to live in central London (and ditch the car) than it is to commute

Id rather be in Reading tbh. A big enough city, and not too fat away from London

The traffic is horrible and by that, I mean both cars AND human

Parking. It's horribly overpriced, and there's aa congestion charge in the centre. Edinburgh is just sooo much nicer, when it comes to things, but what Edinburgh lacks, is jobs.

I've also heard that you're writing your own death warrant, by cycling in London..

ReputationRep:
    Also, Londoners, can you PLEASE STOP dissing your public transport? For a northerner, frequent to me is every half an hour. In London, I wait what 5-10 minutes max, for the next bus/train/tube to arrive.... (If it's within London that is)

ReputationRep:
    I saw to the title of this thread and was like WHAT! I love London, I love the energy, everything. I live in between Cambridge and London. Cambridge is pretty calm and is really pretty and scenic. Literally not tourists and large crowds. I like to go to Cambridge for a casual shopping by myself, but love to go to London with my friends. My brother lives in Chelsea and honestly that area is so much calmer than the rest of London that I have seen so far. And also there is like no crime there because everybody's security is so damn good.

And yeah, cycling in London is crazy as hell. Not doing that again. Borris bikes are devil's spawn, they'e just inviting you on a trip down death lane. It's called the tube guys. Use the tube.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou 22)
    I love London, Well the parts I go, Mayfair, Knightsbridge, Kensington, Islington and Chelsea.
    Agreed, +1.

We should meet up sometime

And yeah OP, Laaaandan is honestly the best place to live and work.

ReputationRep:
    Though I live close to London in Reading, can tell you there's a world of difference, i think most places outside of London are Sheet compared to it.

I really like London, so many opportunities, used to be daunted by it but not now I'm ready for it.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at these comments it seems like most people are thinking of Central London (especially with regards to pricey-ness, overcrowding, congestion etc. London is actually a lot bigger than the city centre, and you will get a different experience depending on where you go. I actually love the hustle-and-bustle of C. London (minus the tourists sometimes -_-), and I love how everything seems to thrive there. I live in Greater London myself, and you definitely don't notice the crowds and such as much (although, I'm speaking relative to my own experience and having never lived outside London I can see that others may not share the same view). I think it is a great city all in all - and yes there is crime and grime - but I still think it's the most exciting, diverse and interesting place in the country. I find it hard to imagine living anywhere else in the UK long-term (except for university) because I love the big city scene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MercedesAnjelica)
    fyi i def haven't explained myself v. clearly in this reply but i really cba to argue with people at london because i know it's amazing so i literally wrote down all my thoughts like hella quickly.

Like, what the hell? How can people not like London, honestly it's totally odd. I've lived here all my life, it's my favourite place in the world and I'm def gonna live here till I die. There is no way in hell that I would move to some market/ seaside town. Why? Because it was be so boring. Not about that country life - or nature. However, speaking of nature, London has so much green space eg. Greenwich Park (nicest park ever). There is SO much to do, galleries, museums, restaurants, shops, theatres, cinemas, like literally everything is here. I don't understand why people are saying it takes ages to get to places? Obviously they don't understand the amazing transport system we have. TFL is the best thing ever, I'm sorry but I just cannot take the ugly white buses or rainbow bus systems in other cities/ towns. It's so odd. Buses come like every 5 minutes, but in the countryside you have like 1 bus a day - omg I would shoot myself (with my clay pigeon gun - lol.) Of course, we also have the amazing tube, and overground, and DLR - as well as all the trains - also everywhere is walkable (as long as you enjoy walking) and things are actually so close to each other if you know where you're going. Also, the people saying that we're all grumpy and everybody barges into each other are totally dumb. You can bump into people anyway, there's plenty of space and it isn't even that busy in London. In these irrelevant places you come from (I don't mean to be mean but they'er so irrelevant to me lol) there pavements are teeeeny so you actually bump into people there. Of course there are some dodge parts but tbh they're all being developed so it's a bit hipster ugh but whatever. Londoners are not grumpy ugh. Everyone is so nice and I love that London is so diverse, it's a global hub and I just cannot believe that some of you don't like it. That's mental.
    When I used to live in London, I lived in the Bromley borough, and when I worked a couple of different jobs in the Greenwich borough, it would take me about 1.5 hours to commute each way to both jobs, either taking three buses, or a bus and two trains, each way. And these two boroughs are next to each other, for goodness sake. And then it's a similar sort of journey if I ever wanted to travel to other places in London - I could rarely just get the one bus or train to get anywhere. Of course I was pretty much used to it, but when my boyfriend from Edinburgh used to visit me in London, he'd often complain about the transport in London, and said it would drive him nuts to go on so many buses and trains regularly, lol. Since in Edinburgh, you normally only need to travel on one bus, sometimes two at most, to get anywhere around there, but then again it is a lot smaller as well.

I've never heard of rainbow bus systems, but I've looked it up and it seems pretty nice tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadiseFound)
    If you go to a trashy club you can only expect trashy quality and a trashy crowd.

There are clubs in london so elite you have to be recommended to get in, clubs which cater to an indie crowd, clubs with award winning sound systems and decor and then you have your cheap tacky clubs which is most likely the type you visited.
    Uuu somebody is touchy!
    I am sure there are some great clubs with amazing sound systems and DJ's have the best pioneers decks in the world but that's not what my point was. It was more about the people here, really.
    Same situation on the streets- rude, disgusting people acting like pigs everywhere. Just not exactly what I was expecting that's it, next time I'll be more prepared

ReputationRep:
    There's the 'buzz' of the place, the fact that if you stand in London and think of something, someone in the city probably doing it. The people there with extraordinary stories to tell, I myself ended up speaking to a Gambian student who left the country due to the mass corruption and he shared his fascinating life with me whilst we were the only 2 on the tube at the time. I love the 'mysteriousness' of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xenialesk)
    Uuu somebody is touchy!
    I am sure there are some great clubs with amazing sound systems and DJ's have the best pioneers decks in the world but that's not what my point was. It was more about the people here, really.
    Same situation on the streets- rude, disgusting people acting like pigs everywhere. Just not exactly what I was expecting that's it, next time I'll be more prepared
    I'm not really touchy, just don't like people making sweeping statements which aren't justified.

If you want to go to a club with class and decorum where people act like snobs and wear pocket squares then i hope your wallet is big enough, for there are plenty.

Good luck in your travels

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.