Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so, has anyone heard of having to wait a long long time for the sift only to be told no? sounds awful!

ReputationRep:
    I know two people who have had straight up yes', two still in the sift and two yes' after sift. So I don't know anyone who's been rejected after sift , but then again that's 6 out of hundreds so not a great representation

ReputationRep:
    I know two candidates that started IOT 3 weeks ago that were in the January sift (both first timers in the sift) and were accepted, one with a branch change. Again, not much but all positive. I've probably already said it on this thread but I'll say it again, my AFCO said that it's not a done deal yet, however, OASC have had plenty of opportunities to chop up until now and they haven't so stay hopeful!

ReputationRep:
    The sift is happening now. Just spoke to afco. Said it goes on until end of June probably ...

ReputationRep:
    OASC told me that I'd hear sometime in May for a July intake. The sift usually takes about a week I believe - leaving it until the end of June is far too late for a July intake.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Harry0612)
    shed some light on what the particular hanger exercises were, and if you had any useful tips for this part of OASC in particular.
    No. People were (are?) asked not to talk about that part of the tests. It's not fair and you may well not get one of the ones someone else had.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody heard any news?? Still waiting for a letter of some sort... Could cut the tension with a knife in my house right now.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed the AFCO, who rang OASC on fri. Was with the squadron leader in charge of sponsorship (I'm going for a bursary) and would be looked at with my medical results in "the coming few days". Will email tomorrow or Friday to find out any news if any

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DodiAl123)
    I emailed the AFCO, who rang OASC on fri. Was with the squadron leader in charge of sponsorship (I'm going for a bursary) and would be looked at with my medical results in "the coming few days". Will email tomorrow or Friday to find out any news if any
    Cheers - Always useful to see how others are getting on! I did ask my AFCO and did email Cranwell as well a few weeks back but really don't want to nag in case I make a bad impression! So close and yet so far!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard of someone being on the sift then being accepted for a branch that they had not applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommycraig)
    Has anyone heard of someone being on the sift then being accepted for a branch that they had not applied for?
    I have, but she had a phone call in advance where they offered her Logs instead of Personnel, she accepted and then had a few weeks to brush up on the training and branch roles etc before a phone interview. At the end of the phone interview they said yes! They need to make sure that the candidate knows about training etc before offering them a different branch.
    You as tense as I am??

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I put 2 other branches down on the form we were given at OASC but they didn't ask me about those in the interview. I am pretty tense. The more time goes on the more I think it's likely to be a no. There's a lot of people in the same position and a lot who attended oasc before me which makes me think they haven't even considered me yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommycraig)
    Ok. I put 2 other branches down on the form we were given at OASC but they didn't ask me about those in the interview. I am pretty tense. The more time goes on the more I think it's likely to be a no. There's a lot of people in the same position and a lot who attended oasc before me which makes me think they haven't even considered me yet.
    Well that's the post for this week done - next week maybe??
    Just keep remembering, they've had plenty of chances to say no if they didn't want you - and their motto isn't "Select" for nothing! Been waiting since November myself - time soon flies!

ReputationRep:
    still not heard anything. trying to remain positive but its such a horrible feeling not knowing either way! has anyone had any feedback of any sort from OASC?

ReputationRep:
    Heard yesterday, was a no . 5 week wait, was hoping to have at least made the sift after that time. Oh well, another year left at uni so will be applying again next year

ReputationRep:
    Heard yesterday, was a no . 5 week wait, was hoping to have at least made the sift after that time. Oh well, another year left at uni so will be applying again next year
    commiserations. If it makes you feel any better I've heard the success rate second time round is extremely high so bare that in mind! Did they give you any feedback at all?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well that's how I'm going to look on it, this was a trial run for next year. Gives me plenty of time to nail the fitness and interview stage. Yeah feedback was really useful, still quite general but definitely highlighted points that I can improve. They said they encouraged me to apply next year, and had shown potential to be trained as an RAF officer, so at least it gives me some hope for next year anyway. Good luck to everyone else waiting

ReputationRep:
    Commiserations! This is my second time, they do acknowledge that fact when you go to interview. And at least you know what to expect next year! It's a massive blow.. but the idea is to come back a stronger and improved candidate .

(Original post by FJI91)
    still not heard anything. trying to remain positive but its such a horrible feeling not knowing either way! has anyone had any feedback of any sort from OASC?
    I think I'm in exactly the same boat as yourself, still not heard anything. Have a feeling something will rear its head this week though. Hopefully it isn't an ugly head!

ReputationRep:
    I think it really depends on what branch you are applying for and who has applied at the same time as you. I know I'm waiting until July as I spoke to another careers office and there is note saying the flight ops sift will be looked at in July

ReputationRep:
    Hard luck jamie. Good luck at uni, you will come back next year more prepared than anyone

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2017
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.