Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who's going to win the Balon D'or? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Right, but there were better players than Messi in the last season who would have it desired to be in top 3 instead of him.
    It's easy to say this after a few years of everything being Messi and Ronaldo and wanting something different while getting used to their records, but they're still on another mindblowing level to everyone else. They score more than a goal a game, they get dozens of assists, they go on runs like 7 games in a row where they score in a match. Their stats are immense, just because they were equally or even more immense in previous years unfortunately makes it seem less so now.

You have other strikers like Muller who are world class, but Ronaldo and Messi are still on another level. They're on a video game level. Their stats shouldn't exist. This season alone, Messi has scored 25 and made half as many assists in... 25 appearances. Every club would spend £50m for a player with those stats at the end of a season, let alone half of one.

Also it's based on last year, not last season.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody who says it should be anybody but Messi/Ronaldo is a mug tbh.

Ronaldo and Messi are two of the greatest players ever, they will continue to win the Ballon d'Or whilst they're at this level.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Yeah because goalkeeping isn't part of football is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You hardly see Neuer banging them in from thirty yards, scoring last minute penalties in CL finals, scoring hat-tricks etc, though, do you?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Ah good viewpoint. I never saw it from that perspective but it does beg the question for me, why include goalkeepers in it at all? There should be a separate award for them. Also, I'm not quite sure but aren't passed D'or winners mostly in the CF position? Goalkeepers are still a part of football in its entity, I think its about time one got recognition with the highest individual footballing honour.
    Yeah majority of the winners have been strikers. Cannavaro is one of the only defenders I can recall getting the nod.

ReputationRep:
    They should have a MVP award as well and it should be Costa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    You hardly see Neuer banging them in from thirty yards, scoring last minute penalties in CL finals, scoring hat-tricks etc, though, do you?
    Yeah because scoring is the be all and end all of football

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Yeah because scoring is the be all and end all of football

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's the reason people watch.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's just because I've played as a goalkeeper all my life but I love seeing goals stopped, though not necessarily by the keeper, more than seeing them scored.

In defence of keepers, they may be less active in a game but when they are active I always think the stakes are higher. If a keeper doesn't do his job you concede, if a striker doesn't do his you're still in the same situation. Obviously that's a simplistic look at it that doesn't take into account things like how much time is left but generally speaking that's the way I see it.

ReputationRep:
    It's the reason people watch.
    And?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    Yeah majority of the winners have been strikers. Cannavaro is one of the only defenders I can recall getting the nod.
    Ah I see.

One day Neuer, one day mate.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 14, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.