The Student Room Group

Why DONT you want to be well paid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skd1996
I don't want a 'breadwinner' man, and I don't care if a guy earns more than me. I want to succeed in a job that I enjoy and that I have the opportunities to progress in. If my future husband earns less than me I wouldn't care at all. I would rather be the one working.

You have rhe luxury of saying that right now when you don't have the worries of a mortgage,bills and tax looming over your head. Later in life when you have financial difficulties and have a baby etc your going to realize just how important it is to have a succesful man.
Original post by ParadiseFound
You have rhe luxury of saying that right now when you don't have the worries of a mortgage,bills and tax looming over your head. Later in life when you have financial difficulties and have a baby etc your going to realize just how important it is to have a succesful man.

+1

Some people are so ignorant of reality.
Well I can't speak for other people or myself since I have no idea what I want to do, but my sister works in corperate law at a v. good firm in London and I rarely ever see her anymore. She slaves away working long hours and then is sometimes called in on the weekend. I really do not think that is the life I want. Sure it's well paid and prestigous, but is it really worth all that hard work? Especially since she lives in London now, so her money really doesn't stretch THAT far. And this is coming from someone who has grown up in a family with financial instability. So is it really worth it? Well for some it maybe, but for others it will not. Money is not everything, yes it matters but it is not everything.

Oh I really don't think under £50K is bad at all. Anything above £30K is great.
(edited 9 years ago)
Interesting how some people are pointing out that they wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than 50k a year fact is the majority will earn far less than that.
Some of the wealthiest people in the world are often not very rich.
A job that pays minimum and enjoyable versus a job that pays very well but an opposite to the first one, I'd rather choose the 1st option and be happy doing something I find interesting rather than feel like locked in a prison, only because it pays well.
Reply 146
Original post by Chlorophile
But if the people who have the intellectual toolsets to drive the O&G industry forward keep joining the industry, the problem is just going to get worse and worse. You know as well as anyone that as far as the O&G industry is concerned, the planet could be totally uninhabitable for life in 100 years (obviously that's an exaggeration but still) time as long as its dividends to its share holders increase in the short term. A powerful O&G industry and positive environmental change are mutually exclusive - as long as the O&G industry has 'fuel' in the form of bright geologists, strategists, businessmen and engineers, it's going to carry on chugging along quite happily whilst the environment around it continues to degrade at an accelerating rate. The O&G industry isn't going to brought to its knees by a 'moral embargo' of talent but at least it's something. On top of that, as long as the O&G industry continues to remain powerful, 'bright-green' environmentalists are going to carry on pursuing red-herring 'solutions' like CCS and Geoengineering, neither of which are real solutions (the latter of which could be totally catastrophic) in desperation, sticking to the mantra "Some justice is better than no justice at all".

I've reflected on this and I can see it both ways. On the one hand, by working in O&G a person could be said to be contributing to the unnecessary resource mining (read: doom) of the world, and on the other they are contributing to the necessary provision of resources to those who rely on them.

There are a lot of companies that I wouldn't want to work at because of what they do, but O&G is the only one I can think of where it can be said that people (presently) legitimately need it to continue to some degree or another. In my view, this has been the key differentiating factor that lends O&G its moral legitimacy.

Thinking about this in depth, I think what it might come down to is the degree to which O&G is needed versus how much of it we have. If it's the case that O&G is more powerful than it needs to be, then contributing to that power is excessive and therefore unnecessary. Because I do think it's more powerful than we need it to be, then perhaps it is unnecessary for so many people to work there, or in other words, taking up a job there can't be justified by saying it's contributing to the necessary provision of resources to those who rely on them.

In any case, it seems hardly a clear-cut issue to me, so I'd be very hesitant to use strong language about it. What does seem reasonably clear-cut is the immorality stemming from the behaviour of those in positions of power, who wilfully permit our on-going reliance on O&G.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 147
Original post by Black Cat
Interesting how some people are pointing out that they wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than 50k a year fact is the majority will earn far less than that.

this^^
it seems some people on this thread are either liars or hypocrites
idk which

Original post by Abdul-Karim
I really find it hard to understand why people go for low paid jobs when they seem to have the intellectual capability to aim for industries which are relatively well-paid.

I see students who have the credentials and the profile potential to enter industries such as law, investment banking being etc.. but instead choose to go into places such as teaching. Are they just lazy?

So if you do intend to get out of bed for a job that pays less than £50k a year and you're smart (i.e flawless grades/credible uni/strong ECs), why? what's your motivation?

inb4, "it's my passion".

No offence, but I really don't think that teachers are lazy, they have to: do detentions, do outdoor duty, make lessons, mark work, support students who are struggling with work and they also work long hours. All these things they do not get paid for, they choose to do this to support their students and to help them grow and develop. Although they get long holidays, they don't get paid a lot considering how many hours they work and how much pressure and stress they are under-in the holidays they have to mark books and prepare lessons so it isn't just plain sailing. Teachers are just good teachers because they are clever academically-you might as well self study if your teacher does not encourage you, teach you everything you need to do whilst making the lesson engaging. These teachers are often talented and clever-not just academically but also in the way that they treat others and how they support their students. I think that people shouldn't just do a job because of the money-what is the point if you hate the job. Sorry for the rant, but just wanted to get my point across
Original post by k3ro
I had a 'money is the most important thing' mindset for a long time. I recently realised that doing something you're passionate about and enjoying how you spend your life is more important than, say, spending your entire life doing something you hate (but for a lot of money).

In short, happiness > money

Well said! :smile:

Not saying money is not important. You do need it to lead a comfortable life e.g. for shelter, food and clothing.

Copy-pasta:
"It is true that lots of money will get you everything but we should keep in mind that not everything you want is everything you need. For example, a Rolls Royce for each member of the family sounds like an unnecessary purchase to me. Furthermore, a job that pays less may have a slower pace and fewer responsibilities. With such a job, people will not have to worry about theft or taxes the way billionaires do. The former can live a simple life with lesser complications of that sort. The extra time can also be spent with family members instead of the office."
(edited 9 years ago)
Girls want a job they can enjoy, guys want a job that pays well.. so that they can get the girls who want the job they enjoy :lol:
Lol, you haven't a clue. Didn't realise you need mathetmatical skill to be a banker.. unless differentiation is deemed difficult.

Lol. You don't need mathematical ability to do well in a maths A-level that will aid you in becoming a banker? didn't know that.
Happiness > Money

But you can't really be happy if your living paycheck to paycheck, left with like 10% of your income after you pay all your bills (insurance,mortgage,water,gas,electric,phone bill, travel/car maintenance/tax etc) and having to rent a room for eternity because your too broke for a mortgage.

So basically if your on anything under 30k in London your going to be struggling.
Money isn't everything in my life. I won't sacrifice my life for money.
I really find it hard to understand why people go for low paid jobs when they seem to have the intellectual capability to aim for industries which are relatively well-paid.

I see students who have the credentials and the profile potential to enter industries such as law, investment banking being etc.. but instead choose to go into places such as teaching. Are they just lazy?

So if you do intend to get out of bed for a job that pays less than £50k a year and you're smart (i.e flawless grades/credible uni/strong ECs), why? what's your motivation?

inb4, "it's my passion".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Money isn't everything
.Just ask any pure mathematician lol.
Reply 155

Because 25/30/35/40/45k are all decent amounts to be earning.
I want to be rich and I have no quelms admitting this. Not sure why my mothers relatives hate me saying this.

They think its a shame to have lots of money yet rant about bills constantly.

I want to have a £200,000 salary where I can have like three houses and cars and also go on a tonne of long haul holidays..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Frostyjoe
I want to be rich and I have no quelms admitting this. Not sure why my mothers relatives hate me saying this.

They think its a shame to have lots of money yet rant about bills constantly.

People resent what they can't get.
People resent what they can't get.

I think they are jealous of us. When I talk about my holidays my granny always says "enough about you" and when we came back from 5 weeks in America this summer my aunt said we spent too long there and she'd hate to go there "because America is a dump". She hasn't even visited!

We aren't even rich! They don't like me talking about what I would like to achieve either. Apparently the likes of 6 long haul holidays is over ambitious.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SiminaM
I am asking myself the same thing sometimes. Some very bright people simply don't know what to do.

I find it is usually people born with not alot of money who are used to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending