Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibn Fulaan)
    Apologise if it seemed condescending just thought it would help me explain it better.
    Nah it's okay lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mary562)
    Walaykumasalaam

You don't have to be Arab to read the Quraan in English anyone can read it even though it ain't your first language. I do and I'm sure everyone else does excluding Arabs.
    I mean some are taught to read in arabic without really knowing the translations into their native language and some people have said you can only read the Qur'an in arabic as its original form or else it wont count. So what are the opinions here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    Salaam

I wanted to ask if it would be viable to read the Qur'an in english as opposed to arabic? seeing as if you are not arab and arabic isnt your first language so you're not understanding the arabic at all.
    W salam,

Yes of course you can read the Quran in English. Understanding the Quran is paramount for every Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    I mean some are taught to read in arabic without really knowing the translations into their native language and some people have said you can only read the Qur'an in arabic as its original form or else it wont count. So what are the opinions here?
    Sorry for asking this question - you don't have to answer.
    Where you from? Where you ever taught to read in Arabic/Tajweed?
    From my own personal experience when I was a kid I was thought the urdu way. Later I went to learn it in Arabic, there are big differences in pronunciation.
    For your question - I think reading Quran with meaning is better. Just reading the translation is a virtue. The love and grace is far more evident in Arabic text.
    You can read it in English.

'The best one if you recite the Qur'an and understand its meanings and you apply it in your daily activities in line with the Qur'an and hadith as life guide.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMuslimGuy)
    Seems like I'm more Asian than you :mmm::smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tell me

From my understanding, it sounds like a variant of 'bisti' which (iirc) means along the lines of shameful actions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zamestaneh)
    Tell me

From my understanding, it sounds like a variant of 'bisti' which (iirc) means along the lines of shameful actions
    Bingo. He meant the exam put him to shame (jokingly of course).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankabout)
    Baisty is more a Pakistani thing.. Indians don't say it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tennumbers)
    Hahaahaha yeah probably. :mmm:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    I love that guy, man. The things he says are on point

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do Muslims have hymns like Christians do?

And what do Muslims actually say in their prayers? What happens if you can't think of anything to say?

ReputationRep:
    So I made a thread about rape and Ched Evans, and it was closed down instantly for being repetitive, but the same threads about certain Islamic topics have been made 1000 times and are allowed to be made so. What a joke of a moderator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flibber)
    Do Muslims have hymns like Christians do?

And what do Muslims actually say in their prayers? What happens if you can't think of anything to say?
    Nothing like hymns as far as i know

We recite chapters from the qur'an and say things like god is the greatest in between prostrating and bowing. We end our prayers by wishing peace to each of the angels besides our shoulders :yes:

Because of the nature of the prayer, you dont really stop thinking of anything to say... You just recite from the quran like ive already stated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankabout)
    Oooh, I only got confused in the way it was used Thanks for the clarification sis

(Original post by Tennumbers)
    It's a Punjabi thing too :aetsch: Yeah, it isn't an Indian thing (because you know how I want Punjab to be independent of India )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Up quark)
    Nothing like hmns as far as i know

We recite chapters from the qur'an and say things like god is the greatest in between prostrating and bowing. We end our prayers by wishing peace to each of the angels besides our shoulders :yes:

Because of the nature of the prayer, you dont really stop thinking of anything to say... You just recite from the quran like ive already stated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are there any special prayers for occasions such as marriages and funerals?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    :yy::yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ko111)
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

is he the same guy from the ban pepper pig video?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flibber)
    Are there any special prayers for occasions such as marriages and funerals?
    There is a special prayer at funerals where we stay standing for the whole prayer :yes:

We dont really pray for marriages. Rather, we make duaa (supplication) for the best for the couple

There are also special prayers for the two festivals of eid
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are the people who say this ulama. What are their names if yes?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.