Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by a123a)
    Hello once again. I haven't been notified by my college about the outcome of my application yet.
    Sorry, but what do you mean 123 candidates were returned to their colleges?
    Their application files were sent back to their colleges by Cambridge Admissions Office (who had been holding them since the Pool closed) for them to inform their candidates who were no longer under consideration for an Open offer. We let those candidates from Christ's know as soon as we could but I do not know what other colleges have done. There are still 14 people under consideration for an Open offer, the meeting for which will be held on 22 Jan.

ReputationRep:
    This is a wonderful and highly interesting discussion. I stand in awe at the honesty and sensitivity of the representative(s) for Christ's Admissions, but then I would expect nothing less. It is another example of how genuinely attuned Cambridge can be to its students. I wish to thank you for taking the time to consider our questions and write such excellent answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alcibiade)
    This is a wonderful and highly interesting discussion. I stand in awe at the honesty and sensitivity of the representative(s) for Christ's Admissions, but then I would expect nothing less. It is another example of how genuinely attuned Cambridge can be to its students. I wish to thank you for taking the time to consider our questions and write such excellent answers.
    Hear Hear.

Definitely above and beyond the call of duty.

ReputationRep:
    Should of gone to a state grammar school and saved £170k A*AA should not be an offer from any college at Cambridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feeling hard done by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by JasperLee)
    Should of gone to a state grammar school and saved £170k A*AA should not be an offer from any college at Cambridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feeling hard done by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    It's currently the typical offer for all non-science degrees. And actually has been the standard offer since 2009. Why do you feel hard done by?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by alcibiade)
    Thank you, it's very kind of you to say so.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Why?

ReputationRep:

Oh dear, first post.

I feel a troll attack coming on.

ReputationRep:
    I am not a Cambridge applicant, but I do have a question.

What could possibly merit an S,S STEP offer for Maths applicants?

The logic behind such an offer does not make sense to me, as some people miss their STEP offer and still get in because Cambridge believes them to be of the right calibre, and those who achieve the standard 1,1 are definitely of the standard that Cambridge wants.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know if the colleges take turn to collect feedback at The Student Room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    I am not a Cambridge applicant, but I do have a question.

What could possibly merit an S,S STEP offer for Maths applicants?

The logic behind such an offer does not make sense to me, as some people miss their STEP offer and still get in because Cambridge believes them to be of the right calibre, and those who achieve the standard 1,1 are definitely of the standard that Cambridge wants.
    i second this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Or if only Christ takes pride in collecting the information to enhance their admission process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ's Admissions)
    The Overseas interview process is very expenseive for the University and so it cannot recreate the process in the UK entirely, but the interviewers, while not from the college applicants have applied to, are invariably very experienced interviewers and often former or current Admissions Tutors, whose opinions are known and respected by colleagues back in Cambridge. We do our best to make it a good system and to make as much information as possible available to those making decisions back home (the TSA, the recording of many intervies etc.). There is, however, always the option for students to request an interview in Cambridge if they wish it. I am glad, however, that it worked out for your son. As proved by his offer, how students 'feel' the interview went is no indication whatsoever to how well it actually went.
    Thanks for all your feedback and insights. Totally understand the expense of setting up the overseas option. We did consider going to Cambridge to interview but work commitments made it more logical to stay closer to home so we were very grateful to have this option.
    The whole day was very well organised and the interviewer was obviously very experienced at both his field and interviewing.
    Our son is very very happy to receive an offer( to say the least!).
    The college website is fantastic at giving him an idea of what to expect once he arrives and starts studying.
    Thanks for setting up this thread - it has been very useful in understanding all the hard work and thought that Cambridge puts into this process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by cam 2015)
    Or if only Christ takes pride in collecting the information to enhance their admission process.
    Lucy Cavendish AT is also on TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lucy Cavendish is a college for mature students.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by cam 2015)
    Lucy Cavendish is a college for mature students.
    Yes, mature undergrads and postgrads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The only suggestion I could possibly make is for the Winter Pool re interviewees - I think there needs to be a definite date by which we'll find out the final result of the application, or a posting date like with the original offer letters. One candidate found out less than 24 hours after their interview, whereas I had my interview on Saturday and haven't heard a thing yet. Colleges letting us know how they'll tell us, letter or email, would be handy as well!

I think it's great that the pool has been moved so the majority of applicants have found out their result though!

Everything else in the application process has been great; Murray Edwards, for my reinterview, were brilliant (just a bit more info about what would happen after the interview would make it even better!)

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry to hear about your experience (in 2013-14?). Interviewers naturally have different styles, some are more friendly and some are sterner but each interviewer treats everyone the same be it friendly or stern.

I am sorry to hear about the confusion over your pooling, sometimes errors are made in administration though we try very hard to avoid this though obviously I can't comment on your individual circumstances.

The point of compulsory pooling is to ensure that people whom colleges might not have therwise put in the pool are placed their so their applications can be considered again by other colleges. For many people this does not result in an offer but for some it does and we believe that consequently it is worthwhile having it and it makes for a fairer system than not having it. Now that the arrangements for pooling have altered we aim to avoid the situation where people are told they are pooled and then have to wait to find out (though this hasn;t worked this year in medicine).

I have explained in another post why feedback is sent to the school and not the applicant in most cases. It is a balance and we have found that it generally works best having it sent to the school, though there are clearly arguments the other way.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think the new pool concept is much better so kudos to the University for making that change.

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    The Didn't get in! In this day of openness and fairness why are we having to put up with quotas from state schools. My family have remortgaged to keep me at school and I feel I have let them down. I was predicted A*A*A* not even polled? My father left school and could not even read and write, from a large councils estate in west London. He has worked with one resolve, giving me a chance. The system is broken!!!!!!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The Didn't get in! In this day of openness and fairness why are we having to put up with quotas from state schools. My family have remortgaged to keep me at school and I feel I have let them down. I was predicted A*A*A* not even polled? My father left school and could not even read and write, from a large councils estate in west London. He has worked with one resolve, giving me a chance. The system is broken!!!!!!
    There's no state school quota at Cambridge. Sorry to hear you didn't get an offer. Did you get an interview? Most applicants will have 3A*+ predictions, Cambridge tends not to pay much attention to predictions. What were your AS UMS? And for what degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.