Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rasheed1999)
    Even me 😯 .. Paper 2 "Unknown Girl " is surely coming ! Study DAT guys
    Is it the only passage that hasn't been in an exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idkman)
    Is it the only passage that hasn't been in an exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope... Necklace, unknown girl, Refugee Blues and Veronica have all never been in the English paper. Not 100% sure what was in the R paper for 2014. But three of those have definitely not been used since the new iGCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of a site like mrhoyesgcsewebsite with the highlighted version of the anthologies but for section B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogree)
    Nope... Necklace, unknown girl, Refugee Blues and Veronica have all never been in the English paper. Not 100% sure what was in the R paper for 2014. But three of those have definitely not been used since the new iGCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh ok so less chances of them re-using one of the passages like in paper 1!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same here! I revised it more!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The necklace was on June 2014 R, Refugee Blues was Jan 2012.

ReputationRep:
    This is the problem.... Everyone knows Touching the Void so well that it's not even special to know things in it if you get what I mean. Grade Boundaries will be higher etc. :L
    Yeah, I get it. But if you have prepared from the Marking Scheme, there are high chances of scoring good. After all, they repeated the answers in the marking scheme for Jan 2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faith4Infinity)
    Yeah, I get it. But if you have prepared from the Marking Scheme, there are high chances of scoring good. After all, they repeated the answers in the marking scheme for Jan 2015
    Big if... D:

ReputationRep:
    my teachers predicted touching the void for paper 1, and refugee blue OR veronica for paper 2, its a good job touching the void came um as the night before that was the only one i revised :P (i did revise the others just didnt go through them the night before)

ReputationRep:
    I ran out of time in the last question because i spent so long on section A so I'm scared that'll bring my grade down, I dont want to fail again and take another Level 2 BTEC I WANT TO PROGRESS DAMMIT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGCSEKid)
    Does anyone know of a site like mrhoyesgcsewebsite with the highlighted version of the anthologies but for section B?
    I've been using igcse-english.com but it reaches capacity quite a lot and theres not a lot on section B but its a starting point if you get me :P
    Good luck for paper 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by himyluke)
    I've been using igcse-english.com but it reaches capacity quite a lot and theres not a lot on section B but its a starting point if you get me :P
    Good luck for paper 2

The site got taken down

ReputationRep:
    This is the Section B analogies that came up in previous papers:

June 2011: Veronica
    Jan 2012: Refugee Blues
    June 2012: Out, Out
    Jan 2013: Disabled
    June 2013: A Hero
    Jan 2014: Electricity Comes to Cocoa Bottom
    June 2014: The Last Night
    June 2014 (R): The Necklace
    Jan 2015: Arabian Nights

The only analogy that did not come up is: An Unknown Girl

ReputationRep:
    This is the Section B analogies that came up in previous papers:

June 2011: Veronica
    Jan 2012: Refugee Blues
    June 2012: Out, Out
    Jan 2013: Disabled
    June 2013: A Hero
    Jan 2014: Electricity Comes to Cocoa Bottom
    June 2014: The Last Night
    June 2014 (R): The Necklace
    Jan 2015: Arabian Nights

The only analogy that did not come up is: An Unknown Girl
    Love that poem! Would be brill if it came up.

ReputationRep:
    what sort of questions do you reckon will be asked based on this poem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stableintegral)
    I didn't hate the exam, but I struggled to finish reasonably well. I think Section B went a bit chaotic for me.

Meh. I'm glad that English is over and done with now. I don't ever have to bother with stupid essays like those again! (I hopefully can doubt that I won't have to resit, but yeah. Just saying. :P)

Also, I did predict that Touching The Void would come up. The respect question was surprising... but wrote a ton for it in 45 minutes. Section A was actually an okay text. It was easy to answer that mining question as well - all in one paragraph, basically. The 12 marker... nearly filled up all the space, but just concluded and moved on. Section B was really waffle and I overran talking about Joe. I had to rush Simon + conclusion to get to the help question or I wouldn't have done Section C well.

I'm obviously wishing for an A*, but I did get good coursework and stuff (might pull my mark up a bit). But if I got an A, I wouldn't cry. Anything less and I'd kind of be surprised to be honest - I don't think I did too badly. :\

Anyway, just glad English is finally done (probably. 99.99% done. :P depends on results day.)
    congratulation.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few YouTube videos specifically for most of the anthology pieces in section B particularly the poems around. Anyone got any other suggestions for preparing the B texts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hate An Unknown Girl - find it far too boring, and the points are just the same thing being rehashed. Hard to be original etc if 300 other students in that hall are writing the same think.

I hope Veronica comes up! Or, better yet, Out Out.

ReputationRep:
    The site got taken down
    oh, idk then sorry, cant believe it got taken down so close to the exam!!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who wants detailed analyses of some of the Section B Short Stories, four of them are available on this channel (and since they've only been uploaded recently, I'd imagine The Last Night might be added soon too). https://youtu.be/1R7xM-OF8hA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.