Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Aw, I'm sorry you didn't get in :\ They just aren't ready for our greatness, is all. I take it that the courses you're talking about are not listed on UCAS? I'm wondering whether it's better to try doing foundation at a different college/university, or the portfolio course. Foundation sure seems cheaper...

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know college course fees are cheaper than Univeristy ones, but yeah college courses aren't listed on UCAS. You apply directly to the college. I found it a lot more relaxed and stress-free than applying through UCAS for Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Aww no makker ! But you'll surely get into a portfolio course that will probably be a great experience!

We don't really have them in Germany which sucks :/ (or at least it's not common) but it seems that it is quite the common route for other countries to have such a course before uni

ReputationRep:
    Here you can go straight to Uni or you can do a course as a stepping stone such as an NQ/NC or an HNC/D, I'm on an HNC just now and if I pass it and get a B I'll have met the entry requirements for DJCAD. Those courses are at college instead of Uni. I know SAAS covers it for EU students so it might be something to look into. There's a girl in my class from Poland, and a guy from Romania, and I think they're both getting funding.

ReputationRep:
    Aw makker, that sucks

ReputationRep:
    I got in!

ReputationRep:
    Me and some friends have made a Facebook group in case anyone wants to talk more before we go, if you search 'DJCAD General Foundation 2015-16' it should pop up. Feel free to join. Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to anyone going a different route!

ReputationRep:
    Well damn. I don't have Facebook.

Congrats on the offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keilidh)
    Me and some friends have made a Facebook group in case anyone wants to talk more before we go, if you search 'DJCAD General Foundation 2015-16' it should pop up. Feel free to join. Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to anyone going a different route!
    Would like to join, but I am afraid my search on fb is unsuccessful can you send a link?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how on my phone haha! If I don't figure it out I'll send one when I'm on my laptop

ReputationRep:
    Keilidh, congrats to you too, then! ^^ You'll be doing year 1 now, not Foundation, right?

Also, thanks so much for the info about the courses - it's pretty hard to get to know about this stuff blindly typing anything that might be relevant into Google, and since I don't have anyone from the UK I could talk to, it's really helpful. Before I had a rough idea that such a thing exists, but I couldn't pin it down exactly. Having a starting point is really something

I've looked at the Dundee and Angus preparation course, but I can't find the prices for it. Keilidh, did you mean they get funding for the preparation course they're on now? If so, I'd be over the moon.
    I'm also sorry to be flooding this topic with less-related things, I'll probably move somewhere else soon

Edit: Shoot, that post at the top of the page is mine, just sent from my iPod on which I apparently was logged into the old account. xD

ReputationRep:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/6771...25165/?fref=ts

There's the Facebook group.

Thank you Nyriel! I'm really excited. Year 1 is the foundation year so that's what I'll be doing. And no worries, it can be daunting to find the information you need and sift through what's relevant to you and what's not. They did manage to get the funding as far as I know. You can find more about eligility here. http://www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/ug/...lity_index.htm It doesn't apply to courses below HN level though (So not NC's or NQ's)

I'm pretty sure you're entitled to 4 years of funding and a +1 year, so if you did an HNC for example and then went onto General Foundation at DJCAD you'd get funding for the full 4 years there and your one year at college.

Dundee & Angus college has really good connections with DJCAD, it might be one to consider. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keilidh)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/6771...25165/?fref=ts

There's the Facebook group.

Thank you Nyriel! I'm really excited. Year 1 is the foundation year so that's what I'll be doing. And no worries, it can be daunting to find the information you need and sift through what's relevant to you and what's not. They did manage to get the funding as far as I know. You can find more about eligility here. http://www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/ug/...lity_index.htm It doesn't apply to courses below HN level though (So not NC's or NQ's)

I'm pretty sure you're entitled to 4 years of funding and a +1 year, so if you did an HNC for example and then went onto General Foundation at DJCAD you'd get funding for the full 4 years there and your one year at college.

Dundee & Angus college has really good connections with DJCAD, it might be one to consider. Best of luck!
    Pretty awesome that it all gets funded I'm struggling with applying to SAAS though... why do I need the National Insurance Number now I don't even have one yet and getting it from Germany seems hard considering that the provided number to call is not available

ReputationRep:
    Oh, okay. I don't know where from, I got the impression that you were applying for second year, heh. I hope you have a lot of fun there, I'm sure you all will!

Dundee and Angus is just what caught my eye, it seems a good thing to consider. I found a course there in the afternoon, but I'm unsure if it's one below HNC or not - I will sent them an e-mail and see what info I can get. It's really nice that the government gives so much support - here in Poland, the first course is free, but apart from that students don't get a lot of support and you have a hard time wrapping your head around the loans. It's good to know the country trusts you and gives you some credit. xD

I was lucky to get my insurance number last year when I was visiting family in England, but I don't know how it works abroad. I remember I had to come to JobCentre Plus to give them my ID and all, and they mailed the Number to me afterwards. I hope you get in touch with whomever is relevant! Those seem to be helpful to ask where to start:
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...nd-individuals

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else not even heard back yet?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen some folks posting on Twitter about not hearing back yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyriel)
    Oh, okay. I don't know where from, I got the impression that you were applying for second year, heh. I hope you have a lot of fun there, I'm sure you all will!

Dundee and Angus is just what caught my eye, it seems a good thing to consider. I found a course there in the afternoon, but I'm unsure if it's one below HNC or not - I will sent them an e-mail and see what info I can get. It's really nice that the government gives so much support - here in Poland, the first course is free, but apart from that students don't get a lot of support and you have a hard time wrapping your head around the loans. It's good to know the country trusts you and gives you some credit. xD

I was lucky to get my insurance number last year when I was visiting family in England, but I don't know how it works abroad. I remember I had to come to JobCentre Plus to give them my ID and all, and they mailed the Number to me afterwards. I hope you get in touch with whomever is relevant! Those seem to be helpful to ask where to start:
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...nd-individuals
    Ah thank you so much I'll see what to do after my final exam !

Anyone here reading this thread who still didn't hear back? They better hurry up >

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tronicfalc)
    A portfolio course can be really helpful. The year I did at college helped me fully understand the actual sketchbook development process, and it's also pretty good for just boosting your confidence. It's definitely worthwhile.

Agreed. There's no way I would've got in straight from school. Good luck to everyone applying to other places/preparing a portfolio for entry next year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone even know of someone who still hasn't heard back? The waiting in killing me and I'm getting worried that I slipped through the net. Just i havent heard of a single person who is still waiting.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reassuring words! <: It really is helpful.

Sketchey, maybe you should try writing to them? They have time until the 7th, but I'd write straight away just to be sure.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.