Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Things which make you very angry while driving Watch

ReputationRep:
    Cyclists.

People who don't use their indicators.

ReputationRep:
    I've been driving for a while now. I commute 100 miles per day, I have owned several different types of car including some larger SUV types and I am also a motorcyclist. The reason I say this is to illustrate that I have some perspective on road use from different angles. I used to get mildly annoyed at cyclists for holding me up. But since I've taken up road cycling I have had a change of heart and would love to fill you all in on my thoughts:

Most of these thoughts have boiled down to a single sentence: give a bike the same amount of space as a car when you overtake.

1. Like it or not, a cyclist or group of cyclists has just as much right to the road you a car driver of even a horse rider. I am fed up of people telling me the get out of the way or leaning on their horns when they overtake as I'm sweating trying to get up a hill or gesticulating at a group of us riding two abreast on a long straight open road with little to no traffic.

see rule 66.

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

When I ride in a group and there's a large queue or it's a particularly busy road we do drop in to single file. Can't account for all riders.

2. Road bikes have no suspension apart from the small, high pressure tyres and the cyclist's arms and legs. That means that even the smallest dent in the road can not only be very rough to ride over, but also can destabilise the path of a rider. Cyclists will move around inside the lane to dodge potholes and bumps and cracks in the road, so don't be surprised if they seem "wobbly". -give them space.

3. Apart from a helmet and some sexy Lycra, the cyclist has no protection from injury. Studies have shown that cars will subconsciously overtake cyclists who wear helmets more closely than those who don't, which is disappointing because I want to protect my head but It's quite disconcerting to have a car pass you 40mph faster than you and leave only a tiny gap. - give them space.

4. Over time, especially when riding solo, I have moved my position in the road from the left hand third of the lane to somewhere between half way and three quarters of the way to the right. This more aggressive lane position means people won't try to overtake me with nanometres of clearance and I also have somewhere to go (I.e. To the left) if I need to dodge something in the road. - give them space.

I am in complete agreement about not running red lights and being not antisocial on the road in general on a bicycle or any vehicle! But idiots aside, please just give cyclists space!

ReputationRep:
    One thing that annoys me, motorcyclists filtering through traffic.

I think there should be laws to prevent this, they should wait in the traffic like cars do. And the only reason I say this is because I often cringe when I see a motorcycle nip in between slow moving traffic at top speed.

Everyday when I commute there's ques on a dual carriage way, and I remember seeing a motorcycle weaving in between both lanes in a zig-zag pattern at top speed, and it just makes me cringe. All it takes is one car to make a lapse observation, and to change lanes/ position and he'd have been hit. Motorcyclists are so exposed and vulnerable, it just makes me cringe.

ReputationRep:
    You have to be a special kind of obnoxious, arrogant person to tailgate someone. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adipoptosis)
    My number one thing has to be...

People with crappy cars driving at 70 mph dead on in the fast lane on the M40.
    The fact that you get very angry when people don't break the speed limit is just childish if you ask me. Although the fast lane isn't really a fast lane at all. In most cases, it's just an overtaking lane.

What makes me angry while driving:

- When the person next to me has kids piled up climbing over each other not wearing seatbelts, and the parent doesn't give a ****.

- When a learner driver goes too slow on a fast road - I remember when I was learning, and I know I went a little slower than usual, that's fine. 20-25 on a 30 road? Fine by me. I'm talking about a learner car doing 30 miles an hour, completely oblivious that they're halfway down a dual carriageway. The instructor's fault really - they should be able to make their students comfortable enough to pick up speed when they need to.

- When white vans park up at the side of the road, right on a junction corner.

- When people (maybe like you, OP :P) flash me from behind because they want to speed. I grew up driving in a very aggressive country, and had a big fast car on roads sometimes having 90 or 100mph speed limits, so I'm not just stuck in that "slow driver, always play it a bit under" mindset - I'll still drive either bang on, or a couple of mph over, the limit. I've no issue with doing 70-75 on a motorway, maybe even 80 for a brief moment if I was overtaking, but there are always some people get impatient because they can't do 40 in a 30 zone. I think they relax into the impression that a 30 zone means "anything in the 30's".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    One thing that annoys me, motorcyclists filtering through traffic.

I think there should be laws to prevent this, they should wait in the traffic like cars do. And the only reason I say this is because I often cringe when I see a motorcycle nip in between slow moving traffic at top speed.

Everyday when I commute there's ques on a dual carriage way, and I remember seeing a motorcycle weaving in between both lanes in a zig-zag pattern at top speed, and it just makes me cringe. All it takes is one car to make a lapse observation, and to change lanes/ position and he'd have been hit. Motorcyclists are so exposed and vulnerable, it just makes me cringe.
    Agreed. The only time I don't mind it is if everyone's at a complete standstill on the motorway and they do that semi-ride, semi-walk thing that looks like rollerskating on your bum at about 5mph.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.