Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, didn't even know this thread was up!

Course: PPE
    As for the grades, I'm an international (no GCSE or A-levels) but am predicted the maximum in our equivalent of A-levels and already got the maximum with distinction at GCSE's equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afern)
    I went up there for a couple of days with my mum last summer and so we got a decent feel for Durham then Castle seems really nice, I just wanted to go for a slightly less over-prescribed one.
    That's good then and I would've thought st chad's was the most over-prescribed although it is smaller but that's fair

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else wanting to do Politics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    Anyone else wanting to do Politics?
    PPE :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    All Durham fans(hopefuls) are invited to support Durham in "the Russell Group hurt/heal game"thread.
    Please join daily and vote for Durham.Thanks:yy:
    Durham:king1:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adynaton)
    PPE :bigsmile:
    Yeh Im deciding whether to do full on politics or PPE as want to see if i end up dropping ecos after next week!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh Im deciding whether to do full on politics or PPE as want to see if i end up dropping ecos after next week!!
    Well I guess it really depends on your preferences. PPE is a really broad course so I suppose you got to be interested in at least two of the three subjects.

Which other universities are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess it really depends on your preferences. PPE is a really broad course so I suppose you got to be interested in at least two of the three subjects.

Which other universities are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeh true but I do politics and economics at A-level so am interested in both!

Im also looking at Oxford but will be applying for Law and also Edinburgh where I will most probably be applying for the Political, Economic and Social History course which looks pretty decent! And you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh true but I do politics and economics at A-level so am interested in both!

Im also looking at Oxford but will be applying for Law and also Edinburgh where I will most probably be applying for the Political, Economic and Social History course which looks pretty decent! And you?
    PPE at Oxford and probably Warwick/KCL/LSE (still can't decide), and IR&E at St Andrews. How will you manage so many courses in one personal statement, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    PPE at Oxford and probably Warwick/KCL/LSE (still can't decide), and IR&E at St Andrews. How will you manage so many courses in one personal statement, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha thats exactly my problem!! The thingsI have done work experience wise etc does actually cover Law and Politics quite well as they are pretty linked surprisingly - but you're right - it is going to be incredibly hard to write it out. My main focus is going to be making Law sound like my main focus I think seeing as Oxford is my number 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantino_chr)
    Course: Politics
    GCSEs: A*A*AAAAABBBB
    A-levels: History, Economics, Geography, Government & Politics
    (predicted AAAA, won't get it)

Haven't thought about colleges (not sure if I like any yet), but I'm doing the summer school in August which guarantees me a standard offer if I meet the requirements so I thought I ought to consider applying. I'm not sure if it's very 'me' but I adore the course and am keeping an open mind. I don't mind it being rural because Newcastle is so close.
    Hey! What week are you doing the summer school? We wont be on the same course but i was just wondering as I am doing the summer school too :-)

ReputationRep:
    Haha thats exactly my problem!! The thingsI have done work experience wise etc does actually cover Law and Politics quite well as they are pretty linked surprisingly - but you're right - it is going to be incredibly hard to write it out. My main focus is going to be making Law sound like my main focus I think seeing as Oxford is my number 1.
    I see. Well, careful not to focus too much on law, Oxford doesn't even place that much importance on personal statements since they have the interview. Btw, why did you choose not to apply for PPE at Oxford since it sounds like the place to be for that course, if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck, anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I see. Well, careful not to focus too much on law, Oxford doesn't even place that much importance on personal statements since they have the interview. Btw, why did you choose not to apply for PPE at Oxford since it sounds like the place to be for that course, if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck, anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My family is quite Law orientated so have been exposed to it more than politics, its also meant that I've had really good work experience etc that looks better in relation to Law than Politics, however, it is pretty well linked. Also, one of the main reasons is that I would take Law at my second choice uni , however, it is Edinburgh and there the courses are 4 years, plus its the study of Scottish Law instead of English - meaning I will have to train for an overall 6 years before I can become a law trainee in London! I would rather take something different in Edinburgh then take my conversion course so Im not just focused on law for 6 years. Its pretty complicated but there you go! Also I believe the PPE course is much more competitive - asking for A* AA rather than Law at AAA - although I am predicted A* A* A.

ReputationRep:
    My family is quite Law orientated so have been exposed to it more than politics, its also meant that I've had really good work experience etc that looks better in relation to Law than Politics, however, it is pretty well linked. Also, one of the main reasons is that I would take Law at my second choice uni , however, it is Edinburgh and there the courses are 4 years, plus its the study of Scottish Law instead of English - meaning I will have to train for an overall 6 years before I can become a law trainee in London! I would rather take something different in Edinburgh then take my conversion course so Im not just focused on law for 6 years. Its pretty complicated but there you go! Also I believe the PPE course is much more competitive - asking for A* AA rather than Law at AAA - although I am predicted A* A* A.
    I see. Well, I wish you the best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I see. Well, I wish you the best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll need it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nic97)
    Hey! What week are you doing the summer school? We wont be on the same course but i was just wondering as I am doing the summer school too :-)
    Hey, I ended up doing History last week!

I absolutely adored Durham and would love to firm it (for Politics).

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Did anyone go to the Summer Schools this year? Has anyone though what colleges they want to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abilockwood)
    Hey! Did anyone go to the Summer Schools this year? Has anyone though what colleges they want to apply to?
    Hatfield!! And you?

ReputationRep:
    Hatfield!! And you?
    I went to Hatfield last week! It was really cool, I also like University and St Marys though 😨

ReputationRep:
    Hey, is anyone here thinking about applying to St Johns or University? Can't decide between them

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.