What's your team of the season for 2014-15? Watch

Pimped Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jam277)
Lampard yeah but Chelsea conceded 15 goals in the league. Closest claim since Neuer this season anyway.
Still nowhere near the claim of Neuer this year.
Depleted
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
De Gea 2015
jam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
Still nowhere near the claim of Neuer this year.
International level probably yeah you're right but at club level not much difference.
Pimped Butterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
International level probably yeah you're right but at club level not much difference.

From that 2005 season, the credit for your amazing defence can be attributed to Mourinho, then Terry and Carvalho, then Makelele, and then Cech, in my opinion. And that's forgetting Lampard, and Robben/a number of other attacking players going forwards.

So I wouldn't have him anywhere near a Ballon D'Or shortlist tbh.

Whereas Neuer has been dat ***** since 2010, and his top three place this year was just building on a treble winning season last year. He's already one of the greatest keepers in football history.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
From that 2005 season, the credit for your amazing defence can be attributed to Mourinho, then Terry and Carvalho, then Makelele, and then Cech, in my opinion. And that's forgetting Lampard, and Robben/a number of other attacking players going forwards.

So I wouldn't have him anywhere near a Ballon D'Or shortlist tbh.

Whereas Neuer has been dat ***** since 2010, and his top three place this year was just building on a treble winning season last year. He's already one of the greatest keepers in football history.
Can credit Bayerns amazing defence due to having the likes of Javi Martinez, Schweinsteigger, Kroos, Alaba etc. in midfield and Dante+Boateng having that beast season in 12/13. Crediting Jupp for making the defence so solid(didn't give Barcelona a sniff in the 7-0 e.g.), then Schweinsteigger, then Martinez etc. before you go to Neuer.

Balon D'or awards are usually given by who has done the best this calendar year, not who has been doing the best over a few seasons?
Depleted
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's why De Gea trumps them both, no defence in front of him yet the (2nd or 3rd?) best record in the league.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brb spends majority of the game passing it sideways and then lumping it forward.

Also your defensive record is nowhere near Bayern 13-present or Chelsea 04-06.
Depleted
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brb spends majority of the game passing it sideways and then lumping it forward.

Also your defensive record is nowhere near Bayern 13-present or Chelsea 04-06.
Yes but you've just had a discussion about protection in front of the keeper attributing to that record. De Gea didn't have any.

And in any case Van Der Saar 08/09 I think it was has to be up there with 15 clean sheets in a row or whatever it was (obviously Messi/Ronaldo prevented that).
Pimped Butterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can credit Bayerns amazing defence due to having the likes of Javi Martinez, Schweinsteigger, Kroos, Alaba etc. in midfield and Dante+Boateng having that beast season in 12/13. Crediting Jupp for making the defence so solid(didn't give Barcelona a sniff in the 7-0 e.g.), then Schweinsteigger, then Martinez etc. before you go to Neuer.

Balon D'or awards are usually given by who has done the best this calendar year, not who has been doing the best over a few seasons?
Generally Ballon d'Or winners get the trophy after some consistent seasons, and a rise to the top, rather than just 12 excellent months.

And Neuer was more pivotal/more credited than Cech was, simple as really. Not much to argue about.
Pimped Butterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As for De Gea, lol, been amazing but not BdO shortlist material, and VDS wasn't the reason for those clean sheets, Ferdinand and Vidic's pairing was.

Neuer's a better keeper than all of them. I'm not sure if his stats were valid but Neuer's save rate this season is 89%, vs 77 for De Gea. And he's far better at claiming the ball, coming from crosses, and coming off his line than anyone else. And his distribution is amongst the best around.

He's one of the best of all time.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hatau24)
So... back on topic:

De Gea
Ivanovic, Terry, Koscielny, Bertrand
Sanchez, Matic, Cazorla, Fabregas, Hazard
Kane, Costa

Subs: Courtois, Skrtel, Clyne, Henderson, Cazorla, Coutinho, Giroud
Ah yes, the famous 4-5-2 formation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.18%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.41%
Not great so far... (251)
35.65%
I want to drop out! (132)
18.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise