Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure none of these drawings claim to be the prophet Muhammad, and therefore shouldn't offend anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Look forward to more pics soon
    You tease.

ReputationRep:
    honestly, muslims find it disrespectful when someone draws such a beloved figure in their lives and you are just gonna have to get over it. But if you feel so compelled to do so, because there is oh so much to gain from it be my guest- but just watch all these muslims not respond by violence. and before you bring up the Charlie incident, if you are going to provoke a religion of 1.7 BILLION and only 3 men respond with violence i doubt you can call us all vioent extremists - but you will anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdmundWoodstock)
    Well again, I beg to differ. Under free speech were are perfectly allowed to criticise and mock historical figures, whether you like it or not and a distinction is definitely made between them and living people. You won't be arrested for calling Muhammed/Jesus names, but you can be arrested for insulting and inciting hatred against living persons.

Why should non-muslims have to respect Muhammed?
    My friend, its called humanity. Its called being peaceful and just all of us getting along. You don't need to respect him but It would be nice if you respect the people that live on this planet with you that do. And this is me completely ignoring the fact that There is absolutely no benefit at all that comes from you drawing him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m_ismail)
    My friend, its called humanity. Its called being peaceful and just all of us getting along. You don't need to respect him but It would be nice if you respect the people that live on this planet with you that do. And this is me completely ignoring the fact that There is absolutely no benefit at all that comes from you drawing him.
    What are you talking about? Who here has disrespected muslims? There's a huge different between criticising people and criticising an ideology.

There is benefit, it shows our rights and gives out the message that we will be not be forced into submission by people who have yet to learn to deal with mockery.

ReputationRep:
    the person said 'why do non muslims have to respect him?' thats what I'm talking about. I answered that question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the person said 'why do non muslims have to respect him?' thats what I'm talking about. I answered that question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Again, disrespecting a historical figure is not the same as disrespecting muslims.

ReputationRep:
    Humanity, huh? You follow a religion that gives out death penalties for mere "insults", and no - I'm not talking aboit extremists, but the actual religion of islam and islamic law under which anyone that insults islam/muhammad gets death penalty - and you're asking people to not draw muhammad for the sake of humanity?

Now tell us, do you support death penalty for insulting islam/muhammad UNDER islamic law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilhamsuki)
    The main point is Why are you even trying to provoke Muslims by drawing Prophet Muhammad when it's forbidden. No is a no.
    And after doing it, you change your topic by asking the Muslims back " How is Islam a religion of peace " when you already break the rule. That's so sick of you .

It's true that people should not kill for this and I do not support the act of murdering. But again, ask again, what cause this to happen in the first place.
    It's only forbidden by Islam...

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about? Who here has disrespected muslims? There's a huge different between criticising people and criticising an ideology.

There is benefit, it shows our rights and gives out the message that we will be not be forced into submission by people who have yet to learn to deal with mockery.
    But the sense in what you are saying is non existent. You are showing your 'rights' every time one of you draw your pictures and each time you do more than 95% of the worlds fastest growing religion are ignoring it. is that really an example of muslims forcing you into submission??? every muslim I know (which is a lot) have seen these pictures and have not replied in a violent way so I can safely say we know how to deal with mockery. walking to school wearing a headscarf and people calling you a rag head, I think we can deal with mockery. Or people shouting abuse about your prophet whether that be with images or videos, and you just having to look away, i think we can deal with mockery. You probably won't ever get the point but let me just say this since we are talking about rights I think a muslim has the 'right' to be hurt when they see pictures like this and you CANNOT take that right away even if you want to call it 'forcing submission'.

ReputationRep:
    But the sense in what you are saying is non existent. You are showing your 'rights' every time one of you draw your pictures and each time you do more than 95% of the worlds fastest growing religion are ignoring it. is that really an example of muslims forcing you into submission??? every muslim I know (which is a lot) have seen these pictures and have not replied in a violent way so I can safely say we know how to deal with mockery. walking to school wearing a headscarf and people calling you a rag head, I think we can deal with mockery. Or people shouting abuse about your prophet whether that be with images or videos, and you just having to look away, i think we can deal with mockery. You probably won't ever get the point but let me just say this since we are talking about rights I think a muslim has the 'right' to be hurt when they see pictures like this and you CANNOT take that right away even if you want to call it 'forcing submission'.
    I don't know why you added the fastest growing religion in there, it doesn't prove Islam is true and in fact, its rate of growth is dropping. Irreligion/atheism is growing faster than any religion.

And I think you're confusing me with someone else. Where did I say that muslims are forcing me into submission? They're not and they couldn't if they tried.
    I know, of course you have a right to feel hurt, but you don't have a right to not be offended and we don't have to refrain from expressing our rights just because some people may be offended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hickory Dickory)
    Humanity, huh? You follow a religion that gives out death penalties for mere "insults", and no - I'm not talking aboit extremists, but the actual religion of islam and islamic law under which anyone that insults islam/muhammad gets death penalty - and you're asking people to not draw muhammad for the sake of humanity?

Now tell us, do you support death penalty for insulting islam/muhammad UNDER islamic law?
    Can you please provide me with written evidence as to where Islam says 'kill a person who offends the Prophet'. Now you are gonna eyeroll when I say this but here are a few quotes from the Quraan,

'bear patiently with their hurtful words'
    'let not a peoples enmity incite you to act otherwise than with justice'

ReputationRep:
    Islam is not the fastest growing religion in the world. Islam is the dominant religion of the third world where the birth rate is high. In these same Countries, Muslims are killed if they convert to Christianity

You also have to take into account the muslims that were born into Islam that actually dont want to be a muslim

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why you added the fastest growing religion in there, it doesn't prove Islam is true and in fact, its rate of growth is dropping. Irreligion/atheism is growing faster than any religion.

And I think you're confusing me with someone else. Where did I say that muslims are forcing me into submission? They're not and they couldn't if they tried.
    I know, of course you have a right to feel hurt, but you don't have a right to not be offended and we don't have to refrain from expressing our rights just because some people may be offended.
    wait who said 'and gives out the message that we will be not be forced into submission' if that wasn't you then sorry lol I'm on my phone so student room is set out all awkward. I agree with you, because a right is a right. However, I just feel the whole thing is so unecessary. You are exercising a right to mock, like really? Out of all things thats what you want to do, how about actively acting against specific culprits like the few people who killed Charlie Hebdo etc or ISIS instead of pissing off muslims who havent done a thing wrong and just want to practice their religion in peace because these drawings incite hate and makes the prophet look like a joke and whether you feel he is good or not is besides the point because people out there really love him.I know someone who broke down in tears looking at these images and I feel like even though its your right to do that to her, is it really the best way of carrying out your message?

ReputationRep:
    Can you please provide me with written evidence as to where Islam says 'kill a person who offends the Prophet'. Now you are gonna eyeroll when I say this but here are a few quotes from the Quraan,

'bear patiently with their hurtful words'
    'let not a peoples enmity incite you to act otherwise than with justice'
    I said islamic law. Are you saying there is no penalty in islam for insulting islam/muhammad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scenekid)
    go to hell! dont talk about islam like that!
    Haha

There are some muslims who do kill over a silly picture of an imaginary person.

What a joke.

People have the right to say what they want, we don't live under international Islamic law, if people want to draw this Mohammed person they can, and not you nor ANYONE else can tell them otherwise.

Live in your means you brat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hickory Dickory)
    I said islamic law. Are you saying there is no penalty in islam for insulting islam/muhammad?
    I'm no scholar btw but,

‘Although the Holy Qur’an very strongly discourages indecent behaviour and indecent talk, or the hurting of the sensitivity of others, with or without rhyme or reason, Islam does not advocate the punishment of blasphemy in this world nor vests such authority in anyone.’2 - See more at: http://reviewofreligions.org/5002/wh...n-islam/#.dpuf

ReputationRep:
    wait who said 'and gives out the message that we will be not be forced into submission' if that wasn't you then sorry lol I'm on my phone so student room is set out all awkward. I agree with you, because a right is a right. However, I just feel the whole thing is so unecessary. You are exercising a right to mock, like really? Out of all things thats what you want to do, how about actively acting against specific culprits like the few people who killed Charlie Hebdo etc or ISIS instead of pissing off muslims who havent done a thing wrong and just want to practice their religion in peace because these drawings incite hate and makes the prophet look like a joke and whether you feel he is good or not is besides the point because people out there really love him.I know someone who broke down in tears looking at these images and I feel like even though its your right to do that to her, is it really the best way of carrying out your message?
    Taking things out of context, by that it was about submitting to the terrorists' threats, not about submitting to Islam.

It's strange, don't you think, that muslims claim to hate these pictures, but can't resist looking at them? If you know you're going to be offended then don't search for them on the internet or read satirical newspapers/journals, that way no one would be bursting into tears.

And yes, believe it or not, mockery is an extremely effective way of getting your message across: using powerful pictures (a picture speaks a thousand words) and short, clever phrases. Just because he is loved by many muslims does not mean non-muslims can't or shouldn't criticise him, that logic is absurd. Many non-muslims may burst into tears reading passages from the Quran calling unbelievers the worst of animals and them burning in hell. So should all the Qurans in the world be destroyed because of this then? By your own logic you must say yes, otherwise you're operating on double standards.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no scholar btw but,

‘Although the Holy Qur’an very strongly discourages indecent behaviour and indecent talk, or the hurting of the sensitivity of others, with or without rhyme or reason, Islam does not advocate the punishment of blasphemy in this world nor vests such authority in anyone.’2 - See more at: http://reviewofreligions.org/5002/wh...n-islam/#.dpuf
    You didn't answer the question. Is drawing muhammad/blasphemy prohibited in islam or not? If yes, what's the penalty for anyone guilty of committing those acts?

ReputationRep:
    I'm no scholar btw but,

I consider it blasphemy when people eat spaghetti with or without rhyme or reason.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.