Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Really? Oh my teacher lied then! She said her superior (the head of Latin - who's nearly retired) chose them! Ah, smart to blame our dislike of Cicerio on someone else!
    Man I hate Cicero - especially the final 5 sections, I really hope they dont come up!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with what sort of points you would make for 10 markers on both Cicero and Ovid as I have no idea what sort of thing they are looking for?
    Example points would be greatly appreciated x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daedalys)
    Really? Oh my teacher lied then! She said her superior (the head of Latin - who's nearly retired) chose them! Ah, smart to blame our dislike of Cicerio on someone else!
    Man I hate Cicero - especially the final 5 sections, I really hope they dont come up!
    Same! Metamorphoses was so much more fun, and easy to comment on...I'm struggling to find points on Cicero to answer 8-10 marks

(Original post by Sophleah)
    Can anyone help me with what sort of points you would make for 10 markers on both Cicero and Ovid as I have no idea what sort of thing they are looking for?
    Example points would be greatly appreciated x
    Comment on the themes throughout the whole text Try looking up a mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    Do you translate 'imperator' as general or commander when talking about Pompey??

ReputationRep:
    I am so scared for this exam- i'm scared it will all go wrong ._.

ReputationRep:
    Do you translate 'imperator' as general or commander when talking about Pompey??
    I always do general... They're probably both okay - anything but emperor! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tilly5798)
    Oh my god(s) sameeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lamminj)
    not bad, i'm just preparing some ovid 10 marker answers now.

On another note who at ocr thought having greek lit and latin lit on the same day would be a good idea

who
    i know its so stupid they want to kill us ffs

ReputationRep:
    Do you know the text? If so, there's nothing they can ask you that you don't know!

I used both unconsciously but yeah as she said either should be fine , anything but emperor xD

ReputationRep:
    Kind of- i know the storylines for each but i can't translate them fully ._.

ReputationRep:
    I translated all of Ovid and Cicero and did a word count on it.
    Does anything else think that it's ridiculous that there are over 5300 words (in English) that we have to remember, practically off by heart, and then they only quiz us on less than 100 words?

How did you prepare for 10 mark questions? Our teacher has given us no help except for 'just learn the text off by heart and you'll be fine!' yeah... right.. I don't feel fine! Did you ahve like 'model answers' to learn or something? I'm totally petrified as I have no idea what will come up!

Oh and in the final section of Cicero, he refers to the news being received at Pontus "Abuot that battle which I had begun to remind you of a short time ago" What battle is he talking about?! He talks about Mithridates and Tigranes - but he doesn't mention them anywhere else in the text! Help please!

ReputationRep:
    I translated all of Ovid and Cicero and did a word count on it.
    Does anything else think that it's ridiculous that there are over 5300 words (in English) that we have to remember, practically off by heart, and then they only quiz us on less than 100 words?

How did you prepare for 10 mark questions? Our teacher has given us no help except for 'just learn the text off by heart and you'll be fine!' yeah... right.. I don't feel fine! Did you ahve like 'model answers' to learn or something? I'm totally petrified as I have no idea what will come up!

Oh and in the final section of Cicero, he refers to the news being received at Pontus "Abuot that battle which I had begun to remind you of a short time ago" What battle is he talking about?! He talks about Mithridates and Tigranes - but he doesn't mention them anywhere else in the text! Help please!
    I think you'll be fine too! Just don't panic They can't ask you anything you don't know, remember that.

And that's a good point.. I feel like my teacher just told me, but I forgot ._.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of- i know the storylines for each but i can't translate them fully ._.
    Well at least you'll be absolutely fine on all the other questions, for the translation, just make out the words you know and try to go from there

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for the Cicero chapters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itismeyay)
    Any predictions for the Cicero chapters?
    No, we're the first in the cycle so absolutely anything could come up.

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for 10 markers??

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for 10 markers??
    Well for Cicero, his speech is really based on pretty much one thing - showing why Pompey is so great. So this should be maybe easier than the Ovid 10 marker. But no, no predictions. Nothing has come up yet, since we are the first for these texts, so we don't know what probably wont come up.

ReputationRep:
    OMG guys what did you think of that?! My 10 mark essays were terrible - they were so short!
    What war was Lucius Sulla referring to? I had no idea and just guessed Slave War! I had no idea! Thank god that's over!

ReputationRep:
    OMG guys what did you think of that?! My 10 mark essays were terrible - they were so short!
    What war was Lucius Sulla referring to? I had no idea and just guessed Slave War! I had no idea! Thank god that's over!
    Do u reckon this was a harder exam compared to the ones before? Because ive looked at the grade boundaries for past exams and most of them were quite high...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have enough time to write all I wanted to for the 10 markers... no full marks on those for me, but I did what I could so I'm okay with it
    The Lucius Sulla question, I didn't remember right away and left it till the end to answer, but as I was rushing my essays I forgot to do that. He was referring to the civil war. Don't worry though it was one mark!

(Original post by klunky)
    Do u reckon this was a harder exam compared to the ones before? Because ive looked at the grade boundaries for past exams and most of them were quite high...
    I honestly think this was a pretty good paper, but it is the first of the cycle so maybe people won't do as well?
    What were the grade boundaries you found?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 6, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.