Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I found it good thanks. The cylinder question involved you knowing the area of a circle equation and the circumference equation in terms of pi.
    It was an optimisation question.

BTW the graph bounced off 0 under the x axis and then went down and then up to 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe21)
    anyone know how we were supposed to sketch the graph?
    I sketched a cubic with points at x-intercepts at -3, 0, 3
    I think it was meant to be a double root at 0 and passes through x at 3... I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be around 58(+ or-)1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flangastic)
    The formula for the area of a cylinder was in the formulae booklet...guessing no one thought of looking in there, during a core 1 paper 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I could only see area of a cone not a cylinder. Luckily I remembered what it was anyway aha:')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DexterMabel123)
    i got 21.6 for the integration question anyone get this?
    I got that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzie33)
    I think it was meant to be a double root at 0 and passes through x at 3... I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah, what i did was the graph starts at the bottom left hand side quadrant, touches the origin, goes back down, has a minimum at the bottom right quadrant, then goes back up crossing the x axis at +3

ReputationRep:
    For the fourth question (with the equations of circles) what values did everyone get for k????

ReputationRep:
    I found it ridiculously easy

ReputationRep:
    In the circle eq it was =d so diameter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heffalump .)
    There was a double '0' root. so it started under the x axis and to the left of the y axis, the went up to the origin, touched it, went back down, then went back up to '3' on the a axis and passed above to x axis to the right of the y axis.
    would i lose all marks if i sketched 3 roots?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure i got full marks. Wasn't that bad. If you didnt know the area of a cylinder equation, you could use the fact that the area of a circle is 2Pi * r and then multiply it by the height h.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anam)
    i don't understand what you mean! i did it so that the curve touched the 3 on x axis and went up and down towards 0
    As it's a positive cubic equation it starts bottom left and ends up top right, it has a single root at 3, so it goes through, and a double root at 0, so it touches
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 12.23.52.png
Views: 251
Size:  15.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anam)
    i don't understand what you mean! i did it so that the curve touched the 3 on x axis and went up and down towards 0
    I think that's wrong I'm afraid, there was definitely a double root at 0, not 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    yeah, what i did was the graph starts at the bottom left hand side quadrant, touches the origin, goes back down, has a minimum at the bottom right quadrant, then goes back up crossing the x axis at +3
    yeah this is right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe21)
    would i lose all marks if i sketched 3 roots?
    What do you mean by 3 roots? it depends on where they were, it was 3 marks, but if you plotted on of the roots correctly (the root 3) then you would have only lost two I think...

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was very good actually. Did anyone get 7 for re shortest distance between C and the chord RQ or something??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tadit)
    As it's a positive cubic equation it starts bottom left and ends up top right, it has a single root at 3, so it goes through, and a double root at 0, so it touches
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 12.23.52.png
Views: 251
Size:  15.3 KB
    Aw man! i lost those 3 marks then but thanks for explaining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhysKirkwood)
    I thought it was very good actually. Did anyone get 7 for re shortest distance between C and the chord RQ or something??
    Yeah that's correct.

For anyone that wants to know how:

The radius of the circle was 5sqrt(2) and the chord length was 2.

You can turn this into a right angled triangle with the hypotenuse being the radius, and another side being length 1 (half chord). Then you can work out the distance between the chord and centre using Pythagoras.

ReputationRep:
    Think this one was just 2 marks if I am not mistaken.

(Original post by Anam)
    Aw man! i lost those 3 marks then but thanks for explaining

ReputationRep:
    You put the co ordinates of x2 x1 and y2 and y1 into
    The gradient equation
    Y2-y1 ÷ x2 - x1
    Then multiply both top and bottom by x2 +x1
    To get the denominator and numerator which cancel divides to get a simplified form of something like

7- square root of something
    Forgot the digits sorry :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.