Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaney96)
    I can completely empathise with your reasoning for an apprenticeship. The main reason I would like to go to Uni is because Loughborough is 20 minutes away from where I live, and it's the perfect Uni for me; I like how isolated it is and how the facilities (brilliant gym and fantastic computing facilities) are ideal for me. Also, I don't feel like working, I don't feel I'm "ready" (excuse the cliche).

Having 10 exams has ****ed me hard as well. Revising for Maths C3 and C4 took up so much time. Practicing exam technique for economics has been a drag (still got an exam for that as well) and then there's Comp3, which is going to be the death of me...
    Having 10 exams has screwed me too, so much to revise for. I have 5 AS exams and 5 A2 exams. My AS exams were nice and spaced out, but my A2 exams are so clustered. 3 exams in 1 week is too much, I barely have time to revise some of my subjects. I'm looking forward for Comp3 though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Having 10 exams has screwed me too, so much to revise for. I have 5 AS exams and 5 A2 exams. My AS exams were nice and spaced out, but my A2 exams are so clustered. 3 exams in 1 week is too much, I barely have time to revise some of my subjects. I'm looking forward for Comp3 though
    I had 6 exams in two weeks, yeah it sucked :/ How many past papers have you done? I find them SOO tedious and boring. I'm doing June 2014 and it's like torture.

ReputationRep:
    I had 6 exams in two weeks, yeah it sucked :/ How many past papers have you done? I find them SOO tedious and boring. I'm doing June 2014 and it's like torture.
    Uhm we did a lot of past papers in class before we went on study leave. Lucky me there's a gap of 5 days within my second to last exam and my last exam which is computing. So during that time I take out 2 days to revise the whole Comp3 from wikibooks and spend the remaining 3 days doing past papers. Past papers are the key!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Uhm we did a lot of past papers in class before we went on study leave. Lucky me there's a gap of 5 days within my second to last exam and my last exam which is computing. So during that time I take out 2 days to revise the whole Comp3 from wikibooks and spend the remaining 3 days doing past papers. Past papers are the key!
    Mate comp3 past papers can f*ck right off. 2 1/2 hours! I spent about 5 hours just doing 2 past papers the other day. grrr...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Mate this is getting weird... I've got my second to last exam 5 days before my Comp3 exam.... I think I'll do the same as you revision-wise, that seems a pretty solid way of achieving the highest possible grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScruffyQuaver)
    Mate comp3 past papers can f*ck right off. 2 1/2 hours! I spent about 5 hours just doing 2 past papers the other day. grrr...
    I know the feels. But really and truly, 2 1/2 hours is way too much time for a Comp3 paper. When we did past papers in our double lessons it took around 1 hour 45 minutes to get like 95% of the paper done.

How you feeling for Sociology tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm still doing this fking June 2014 and I've been at it all day.. I just keep getting distracted every 10 minutes though as I find them WAY to fking tedious and boring. I'm looking forward to getting exams out the way.

ReputationRep:
    Mate this is getting weird... I've got my second to last exam 5 days before my Comp3 exam.... I think I'll do the same as you revision-wise, that seems a pretty solid way of achieving the highest possible grade.
    Who knows you might just be living a parallel life to me. Anyway yeah, a friend told me "Exams are just games" you just need to know how to play the game well. Past papers are the way because you will notice a pattern in the style of questions and you will know what the examiner is looking for. Also read the Examiners report so you see where the majority of student make mistakes in and make sure you don't make them mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Who knows you might just be living a parallel life to me. Anyway yeah, a friend told me "Exams are just games" you just need to know how to play the game well. Past papers are the way because you will notice a pattern in the style of questions and you will know what the examiner is looking for. Also read the Examiners report so you see where the majority of student make mistakes in and make sure you don't make them mistakes.
    Good point. I bet that friend of your is one smart ******* thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    "If you play the game of exams, you either pass or you fail, there is no middle ground"
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Please tell me (especially as computing students - lol stereotype) you all know where that quote is from!

ReputationRep:
    "If you play the game of exams, you either pass or you fail, there is no middle ground"
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Please tell me (especially as computing students - lol stereotype) you all know where that quote is from!
    Binary. 0 or 1 Pass or Fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Binary. 0 or 1 Pass or Fail
    Um... its Game of Thrones :console:

ReputationRep:
    Um... its Game of Thrones :console:
    Ahh I see, I've never watched games of thrones before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Ahh I see, I've never watched games of thrones before

Only clip I could find with no spoilers :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toy Soldiers)
    Any thoughts on what essay we could be given this year? Internet security hasn't been asked in a while and there hasn't been any simulation, searching & sorting and recursion questions in a while either. What questions do you think that will come up this year?
    I'll just re-quote what I'd like to ask you guys earlier...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toy Soldiers)
    I'll just re-quote what I'd like to ask you guys earlier...
    I did a nice prediction on my Comp2 resit. I looked at the pattern and spotted it, I was therefore able to predict the question that would not come up and it didnt, I predicted the genre of question that would come up.

Essays in Comp3 usually appear in the Communication and Networking topic and Operating Systems topic. But it could all be different this year. I honestly say I don't know what could come up this year, it's best to prepare for everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    I did a nice prediction on my Comp2 resit. I looked at the pattern and spotted it, I was therefore able to predict the question that would not come up and it didnt, I predicted the genre of question that would come up.

Essays in Comp3 usually appear in the Communication and Networking topic and Operating Systems topic. But it could all be different this year. I honestly say I don't know what could come up this year, it's best to prepare for everything.
    Thanks. Yeah they're very broad topics. I remember last year's one was to do with graph theory which was a bit weird, so I'm not sure whether they'll pull off something like that for this year.

You're right in preparing for everything, I'm pretty confident with it but I've been focusing more in breadth (definitions) rather than depth (essay-based stuff)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know where we can get past papers from the previous spec?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, if it seriously takes you 2 1/2 hours to complete a COMP3 paper, you need to learn the content better.

With regards to that, I'm betting the essay questions could be either CSMA/CD or Client Thick/Thin networks. They've pulled them up before, but it's been a while since then so I have a feeling they might come up again.

Hopefully there won't be a big Pseudocode question. Those are stupid.

AQA have this thing about not sticking to their syllabus - for example, in a past paper there was a question about parallel and serial data transmission. The textbook said it was parallel transmission from a computer to a printer, where the mark scheme said it was serial. They often ask about the purpose of a subnet mask as well, and their textbook says it defines the size of the network, but that's wrong in the mark scheme too. I guess learning the content and then practising all past questions would be the best way to do it just so you know what the examiner is looking for.

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jurge)
    Guys, if it seriously takes you 2 1/2 hours to complete a COMP3 paper, you need to learn the content better.

With regards to that, I'm betting the essay questions could be either CSMA/CD or Client Thick/Thin networks. They've pulled them up before, but it's been a while since then so I have a feeling they might come up again.

Hopefully there won't be a big Pseudocode question. Those are stupid.

AQA have this thing about not sticking to their syllabus - for example, in a past paper there was a question about parallel and serial data transmission. The textbook said it was parallel transmission from a computer to a printer, where the mark scheme said it was serial. They often ask about the purpose of a subnet mask as well, and their textbook says it defines the size of the network, but that's wrong in the mark scheme too. I guess learning the content and then practising all past questions would be the best way to do it just so you know what the examiner is looking for.

Good luckeveryone!
    Cheers, you too. It seems AQA are pretty skilled when it comes to ****ing students over. The economics exam are pretty naff as well compared to other exam boards. Hopefully the cram will work for me as it does others!

Hail the cram!
    • :adore:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 12, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.