Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanWong)
    Hey guys, I'll be applying to HKU and CUHK

HKU:1st choice : Bachelor of Arts(Language)
    :2nd choice : IBGM
    What's the point in having a second choice here? If you cannot get into BA, it's highly unlikely that you will be able to get into IBGM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eddymok123)
    Oh my bad its global business at HKUST lolll. Good luck with your application! I personally prefer going abroad and studying at LSE or Oxford haha. Are you applying with Alevels? If you don't mind me asking, what are your grades
    If you're hoping to earn big money in the business field, definitely go for Oxford or LSE instead.

ReputationRep:
    Well sure , I don't mind
    4A's (Maths,Accounting,Economics and Business ) and 2A's (English Language and Chinese)( UNis don't count languages I believe )
    And people thought my school was nuts for making most of us do 5 A levels.
    Unless you're doing English and Chinese up till AS or something.
    Yes, unis don't count languages while giving out offers. Although they do consider them while evaluating your profile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baalaje31)
    And people thought my school was nuts for making most of us do 5 A levels.
    Unless you're doing English and Chinese up till AS or something.
    Yes, unis don't count languages while giving out offers. Although they do consider them while evaluating your profile.
    business and accounting might be considered as soft subject, and chinese doesn't really chunk up any time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    If you're hoping to earn big money in the business field, definitely go for Oxford or LSE instead.
    Yes but considering that you have to pay a much higher tuition fee, it might a good idea to think about whether it is worth it or not haha.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in having a second choice here? If you cannot get into BA, it's highly unlikely that you will be able to get into IBGM.
    Yes , which is why I've changed my second choice to BBA.
    Fyi, I don't see a correlation between my inability to get into BA will lead to a rejection from the BBA/IBGM programme

ReputationRep:
    Yes , which is why I've changed my second choice to BBA.
    Fyi, I don't see a correlation between my inability to get into BA will lead to a rejection from the BBA/IBGM programme
    You don't know what 'correlation' means...

No, there's an obvious absurdity here when IBGM has a much higher entry requirement. It's like firming London Met whilst having Oxford as the insurance.

ReputationRep:
    You don't know what 'correlation' means...

No, there's an obvious absurdity here when IBGM has a much higher entry requirement. It's like firming London Met whilst having Oxford as the insurance.
    Well are you stating if I end up achieving 4A* , I'll still be rejected ? .
    What I'm saying is that, in the end your grades will determine whether you get in or not .
    Based on what you just said , getting into BA is much more easier and someone who aims for a BA programme should not bother having IBGM as one of their choices because they lack the grades.
    I think you're ignorant and I suggest you work on it.

FYI, there are people who give up their Oxford offers for a university that's ranked lower,you probably shouldn't categorise all applicants into one single group, to aim for a higher ranked university.

ReputationRep:
    Well are you stating if I end up achieving 4A* , I'll still be rejected ? .
    What I'm saying is that, in the end your grades will determine whether you get in or not .
    Based on what you just said , getting into BA is much more easier and someone who aims for a BA programme should not bother having IBGM as one of their choices because they lack the grades.
    I think you're ignorant and I suggest you work on it.

FYI, there are people who give up their Oxford offers for a university that's ranked lower,you probably shouldn't categorise all applicants into one single group, to aim for a higher ranked university.
    Do you know how to read? What am I ignorant of?

If you can get into IBGM, there's no reason why you cannot get into BA; if you cannot get into BA, there's very little chance that IBGM will consider you. I didn't say whether you'd get in with 4A*s - I'm just saying if you can get into IBGM with 4A*s, then you'll be able to get in BA already, thus making the second choice useless; if you cannot get into BA even with 4A*s, you probably won't be able to get into IBGM either. What grades you have is not my point - the objective fact that you need only much lower grades for BA than for IBGM.

What's your problem here? It's not about whether the applicant wants to go to Oxford - if you can get into London Met, you won't need the Oxford 'insurance'; if you cannot even get into London Met, how can you get into Oxford?

That's the absurdity because what you're doing is wasting a second choice.

Let me put this very plainly to you (hopefully plain enough for you to comprehend):

If you have $10 (your grades), and product A (BA) costs $5 whilst product B (IBGM) costs $15, you will be able to buy product A but not product B.

If you have $15, you will be able to buy both but you'd still buy product A because you prefer it.

If you have $5, you won't be able to buy either.

In none of these scenarios you are ending with product B.

Is this clear enough for you?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how to read? What am I ignorant of?

If you can get into IBGM, there's no reason why you cannot get into BA; if you cannot get into BA, there's very little chance that IBGM will consider you. I didn't say whether you'd get in with 4A*s - I'm just saying if you can get into IBGM with 4A*s, then you'll be able to get in BA already, thus making the second choice useless; if you cannot get into BA even with 4A*s, you probably won't be able to get into IBGM either. What grades you have is not my point - the objective fact that you need only much lower grades for BA than for IBGM.

What's your problem here? It's not about whether the applicant wants to go to Oxford - if you can get into London Met, you won't need the Oxford 'insurance'; if you cannot even get into London Met, how can you get into Oxford?

That's the absurdity because what you're doing is wasting a second choice.

Let me put this very plainly to you (hopefully plain enough for you to comprehend):

If you have $10 (your grades), and product A (BA) costs $5 whilst product B (IBGM) costs $15, you will be able to buy product A but not product B.

If you have $15, you will be able to buy both but you'd still buy product A because you prefer it.

If you have $5, you won't be able to buy either.

In none of these scenarios you are ending with product B.

Is this clear enough for you?
    Thats a brilliant explanation , but let me enlighten you a little .You're excluding the possiblilities that would happen and honestly speaking your explanations are way too simplistic .First of all, if you had the ability to read , you'd be able to spot out the mere fact that I no longer consider IBGM as one of my choices.

Secondly Most of my subjects are business related therefore the BA programme may reject my application , and my chances of getting into a BBA programme is much higher , based on those facts.Your ideal situation of what will happen between two choices ,London Met and Oxford could be affected by other external factors.

Thirdly, I have stated that grades accumulate for a very large percentage of whether you'll be accepted or not .What makes you believe that 4A* is insufficient for BOTH BA programme and IBGM(BBA). Choice can be best defined as 'An act between choosing from two or more possibilities'. Therefore, it's a choice for me to make and not for you to assume/decide.

Well and lastly, I'll give you credits for your example , I am grateful that some random stranger would spend time critising my decisions ,but like you said if I have $15 I could choose to buy either Product A or B . I hope you would spend more time understanding your own example .Have a nice day!

ReputationRep:
    Thats a brilliant explanation , but let me enlighten you a little .You're excluding the possiblilities that would happen and honestly speaking your explanations are way too simplistic .First of all, if you had the ability to read , you'd be able to spot out the mere fact that I no longer consider IBGM as one of my choices.
    I did read that you no longer consider IBGM, but as I recall BBA still has a higher entry requirement, and you were responding to my post responding to your post that said you'd apply to IBGM. There's nothing wrong with defending my post based on the context it was placed in.

Secondly Most of my subjects are business related therefore the BA programme may reject my application , and my chances of getting into a BBA programme is much higher , based on those facts.
    Based on what are you saying this? They don't really consider what you actually are studying as long as you've got good grades in them. Getting an A* in economics is just as useful to a BA application as to a BBA one. Not to mention only business studies and accountancy are related subjects to BBA.

Your ideal situation of what will happen between two choices ,London Met and Oxford could be affected by other external factors.
    Wait, so you're saying there's no 'obvious absurdity' (my words) in firming London Met but using Oxford as an insurance? You're just an idiot, aren't you?

Thirdly, I have stated that grades accumulate for a very large percentage of whether you'll be accepted or not .What makes you believe that 4A* is insufficient for BOTH BA programme and IBGM(BBA).
    Did you miss the part where I said my point has nothing to do with your actual grades?

Choice can be best defined as 'An act between choosing from two or more possibilities'.
    Except there is an order in your choice. Do you know 'first' and 'second' mean? Maybe a dictionary will help?

Therefore, it's a choice for me to make and not for you to assume/decide.
    If you don't want an opinion, why are you posting on an internet forum?

Well and lastly, I'll give you credits for your example , I am grateful that some random stranger would spend time critising my decisions ,but like you said if I have $15 I could choose to buy either Product A or B . I hope you would spend more time understanding your own example .Have a nice day!
    It does seem like you have trouble understanding what a 'first' choice and a 'second' choice is, don't you?

If product A is your 'first' choice, you'd go for product A, not B, regardless of how many money you have.

I'd recommend looking up 'first' and 'second' for a start.

ReputationRep:
    **popcorn munching intensifies**

ReputationRep:
    this thread have been supplying popcorn since 1885 lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lai812matthew)
    this thread have been supplying popcorn since 1885 lol
    xD

Oh by the way, in the HKU application, did you guys send the reference letter to HKU or scan the filled letter and upload it into your online application.
    Last time, they requested all applicants to send the letters by mail but now they've included the upload option so I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    xD

Oh by the way, in the HKU application, did you guys send the reference letter to HKU or scan the filled letter and upload it into your online application.
    Last time, they requested all applicants to send the letters by mail but now they've included the upload option so I'm confused.
    I'd assume both methods are perfectly fine

ReputationRep:
    I did read that you no longer consider IBGM, but as I recall BBA still has a higher entry requirement, and you were responding to my post responding to your post that said you'd apply to IBGM. There's nothing wrong with defending my post based on the context it was placed in.

Based on what are you saying this? They don't really consider what you actually are studying as long as you've got good grades in them. Getting an A* in economics is just as useful to a BA application as to a BBA one. Not to mention only business studies and accountancy are related subjects to BBA.

Wait, so you're saying there's no 'obvious absurdity' (my words) in firming London Met but using Oxford as an insurance? You're just an idiot, aren't you?

Did you miss the part where I said my point has nothing to do with your actual grades?

Except there is an order in your choice. Do you know 'first' and 'second' mean? Maybe a dictionary will help?

If you don't want an opinion, why are you posting on an internet forum?

It does seem like you have trouble understanding what a 'first' choice and a 'second' choice is, don't you?

If product A is your 'first' choice, you'd go for product A, not B, regardless of how many money you have.

I'd recommend looking up 'first' and 'second' for a start.

Hey guys sorry to intrude, but if I do BEcon and Finance in HKU or UST is there no way I will be able to become an investment banker even with a good PG degree from overseas universities? My parents are willing to send me to do PG in LSE or Harvard because they believe that the last degree matters the most.
    Thanks little toy gun in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fedorahat88)
    Hey guys sorry to intrude, but if I do BEcon and Finance in HKU or UST is there no way I will be able to become an investment banker even with a good PG degree from overseas universities? My parents are willing to send me to do PG in LSE or Harvard because they believe that the last degree matters the most.
    Thanks little toy gun in advance
    You can become an ibanker even without a degree. All you need is connections.

Without that, your best shot is internship and at HKU IBGM and qualitative finance can give you that opportunity but that's fairly rare. Not sure about E&F. Don't know about UST. Whether it's the last degree it doesn't really matter. Once you've gone to a top school, you'll also be considered as someone who's attended the university (except for undergraduates at those universities who for some reason think postgraduates got in through a back door). But it's never a guarantee that you can get into a top university after your first degree to begin with.

Most Hongkongers I see in big ibanks in HK do seem to people who's come back from overseas after an undergraduate degree, usually with postgraduate studies in HK. A friend did LLB at Warwick then LLM at HKU; another one did presumably the same at UCL then HKU with also PCLL. Both are at Goldman Sach now. The whole field in general is filled up overseas graduates, regardless of their origin, so if you're determined you should go the UK or the US for undergrad. With the same grades, you can definitely go to much better universities overseas.

But ibanks are not really as good as you might think they are. Outside of the big ones there are many poor ones. My friend worked briefly at an 'international' ibank (grad job which he quit after a few days after getting a much better offer, not from an ibank), which paid him HKD8000 per month with long hours and the prospect to be promoted in future to earning HKD10k. It's miserable.

ReputationRep:
    You can become an ibanker even without a degree. All you need is connections.

Without that, your best shot is internship and at HKU IBGM and qualitative finance can give you that opportunity but that's fairly rare. Not sure about E&F. Don't know about UST. Whether it's the last degree it doesn't really matter. Once you've gone to a top school, you'll also be considered as someone who's attended the university (except for undergraduates at those universities who for some reason think postgraduates got in through a back door). But it's never a guarantee that you can get into a top university after your first degree to begin with.

Most Hongkongers I see in big ibanks in HK do seem to people who's come back from overseas after an undergraduate degree, usually with postgraduate studies in HK. A friend did LLB at Warwick then LLM at HKU; another one did presumably the same at UCL then HKU with also PCLL. Both are at Goldman Sach now. The whole field in general is filled up overseas graduates, regardless of their origin, so if you're determined you should go the UK or the US for undergrad. With the same grades, you can definitely go to much better universities overseas.

But ibanks are not really as good as you might think they are. Outside of the big ones there are many poor ones. My friend worked briefly at an 'international' ibank (grad job which he quit after a few days after getting a much better offer, not from an ibank), which paid him HKD8000 per month with long hours and the prospect to be promoted in future to earning HKD10k. It's miserable.
    Alright mate. thanks, is australia a good place? and one of my friends studying at HKU law has been under an "exchange programme" with cambridge for 2 years
    and all he pays is the HKU local tution fee? Should I do E&F at HKu on paper and actually go and study overseas then ???? I really want to be an investment banker at Goldman Sachs. Thats the dream tbh.

ReputationRep:
    xD

Did HKU say anything about the scholarship yet ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fedorahat88)
    Alright mate. thanks, is australia a good place? and one of my friends studying at HKU law has been under an "exchange programme" with cambridge for 2 years
    and all he pays is the HKU local tution fee? Should I do E&F at HKu on paper and actually go and study overseas then ???? I really want to be an investment banker at Goldman Sachs. Thats the dream tbh.
    Australia is very popular among people who cannot make the grades to get into HK's universities. A friend who couldn't get into any degree course in HK is now reading at Australian National University.

'Exchange' doesn't help that much. It's almost essential for any good internship/job but let's not kid ourselves. No-one thinks you're actually back from Cambridge after the programme. And what exchange programme goes on for two years?

If you're just going on an exchange, you have not gotten in with the normal requirement, you don't have an actual college affiliation, you don't matriculate, you're not in the alumni network, you don't hold a degree from Cambridge, the grades there don't contribute in your degree in HK, so why would anyone sees you as a Cambridge student/graduate?

This is without saying it's incredibly competitive to go to a good university for an exchange, and you're most likely only going to be going to a random university you've never heard of, in a small European country.

I have a lot of friends at Goldman but most are expats. The Hongkongers I know all studied overseas. I don't know if their HKU experience helped. Maybe? Maybe you need both? But I'm pretty sure the key is to have connections.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.