Turn on thread page Beta

Can Corbyn win the 2020 election? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Can Jeremy Corbyn win the 2020 election?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Bingo

People keep saying 'you can't win an election in the UK being a lefty' etc...but all the lefty's have all been poor with their media campaigns and attitudes.

Brown, Miliband, and Michael Foot come to mind and all 3 were poor public speakers. They didn't capture voters or make conservative voters think why they should abandon their roots and switch to the left. Thatcher made everybody move to the right, Blair although he was a Tory lite was really good at convincing people, such as traditional labour voters that the centre was the place to be.... it's almost like having top acting skills.

Corbyn...i have no idea but we shall see from the PMQ's where he stands/
    My friend, who was a member of his uni Labour Club and very knowledgeable, pointed out that the problem is that all representatives of the genuine Left look like Corbyn. The Left needs to put forward somebody who, much as I hate to say it, looks and behave like Cameron while believing like Corbyn.

Of course, I think that other factors like the Falklands War helped Thatcher a lot. That doesn't undermine the point you're making one bit, though.

ReputationRep:
    This may sound really sad, but I'm actually pretty excited for the PMQs tomorrow, it'll be very interesting.

But, can we stop talking about the 2020 election? It's 5 years away, it's scary to think how far away that is. By then, a lot will change. Unforeseen circumstances like another, potentially devastating, recession, the resignation of Cameron, the possibility of leaving the EU and the continued destruction of public services and welfare as well as potentially extra tax cuts for the richest could seriously hurt the Tories poll ratings and leave the British public itching for a fresh alternative which Corbyn offers more than anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epicflyingcat)
    This may sound really sad, but I'm actually pretty excited for the PMQs tomorrow, it'll be very interesting.

But, can we stop talking about the 2020 election? It's 5 years away, it's scary to think how far away that is. By then, a lot will change. Unforeseen circumstances like another, potentially devastating, recession, the resignation of Cameron, the possibility of leaving the EU and the continued destruction of public services and welfare as well as potentially extra tax cuts for the richest could seriously hurt the Tories poll ratings and leave the British public itching for a fresh alternative which Corbyn offers more than anyone.
    This x100 as well

i think the tories will win a majority again but nobody knows what will happen. Also the Tories will probably have a new leader
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by epicflyingcat)

Another recession is likely to be very light or a near miss to be fair, and "tax cuts" for the rich would likely wait until after the election.

Data connection at work should be good enough for video so might listen while on my break rather than waiting to be home, for once the answers won't already be written and rehearsed, although I expect PMQs to generally be rather boring after the novelty wears off.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.