Turn on thread page Beta

Jeremy Corbyn looking shabby / disrespectful watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    Why should he kneel before her? Why should anyone kneel before anyone?
    like it or not Mr Corbin is a subject of Her Gracious Majesty. his refusal to do Her honour just reveals his utter shallowness and lack of breeding.

ReputationRep:
    People are so silly, its bad he decided to have a few moments of silence, instead of singing in support of violence?

But is okay for David C to take smiling selfies at Nelson M funeral?

And its okay for UK to sell weapons that kill millions of innocent people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    like it or not Mr Corbin is a subject of Her Gracious Majesty. his refusal to do Her honour just reveals his utter shallowness and lack of breeding.
    The Queen couldn't care less what he does. She couldn't care less about you either but it won't stop you idolising her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tories with their finger on the pulse as usual, debating the hottest issues affecting working people in this country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    The Queen couldn't care less what he does. She couldn't care less about you either but it won't stop you idolising her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    as you have correctly surmised bear™ is proud to be an humble subject of Her Majesty. whenever he licks the back of Her head or jingles Her image in his pocket bear™ feels epic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    as you have correctly surmised bear™ is proud to be an humble subject of Her Majesty. whenever he licks the back of Her head or jingles Her image in his pocket bear™ feels epic.
    Call yourself a loyal subject? Your devotion is as nothing until you've perfected the bank note ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Your devotion is as nothing until you've perfected the bank note ****
    i....i.... WTF ?

ReputationRep:
    ...Am I the only one that thinks his tie looks fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thisguy11)
    People are so silly, its bad he decided to have a few moments of silence, instead of singing in support of violence?

But is okay for David C to take smiling selfies at Nelson M funeral?

And its okay for UK to sell weapons that kill millions of innocent people?
    Except that's not his defence, is it? According to him and his Chancellor, he often attends these ceremonies (which of course are solely there to show support of violence) and has sung in the past. If what you said is true, he would at least be consistent in his lack of respect. As it is, he just looks like a dazed idiot.

Yes. It was a celebration of his life. There was dancing.

Kind of irrelevant, but that's up to you. You must surely expect some collateral damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    Except that's not his defence, is it? According to him and his Chancellor, he often attends these ceremonies (which of course are solely there to show support of violence) and has sung in the past. If what you said is true, he would at least be consistent in his lack of respect. As it is, he just looks like a dazed idiot.

Yes. It was a celebration of his life. There was dancing.

Kind of irrelevant, but that's up to you. You must surely expect some collateral damage.
    So you think Corbyn not singing the national anthem deserves to make front page news in pretty much every newspaper?

Wow. Singing the national anthem should be someones own choice - I thought you tories believed in 'freedom'. Yet instead we're insisting on a North Korea view that you must at once sing the national anthem and that it's utterly acceptable not to.

I mean the tories on the same day as this passed through 4.6 billion in cuts to the lowest earners while reducing corporation tax. And the day before they introduced a bill stripping workers of their rights. But of course Corbyn choosing to remain silent during the national anthem affects us all far, far more and really deserves to make the front pages.

But of course, there's no media agenda is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    So you think Corbyn not singing the national anthem deserves to make front page news in pretty much every newspaper?

Wow. Singing the national anthem should be someones own choice - I thought you tories believed in 'freedom'. Yet instead we're insisting on a North Korea view that you must at once sing the national anthem and that it's utterly acceptable not to.

I mean the tories on the same day as this passed through 4.6 billion in cuts to the lowest earners while reducing corporation tax. And the day before they introduced a bill stripping workers of their rights. But of course Corbyn choosing to remain silent during the national anthem affects us all far, far more and really deserves to make the front pages.

But of course, there's no media agenda is there?
    I'm not saying everyone should sing the national anthem. I'm saying the leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition, Privy Councillor, and PM-in-waiting should. Is that actually a ridiculous thing to think?

And if he admitted he did it out of conviction I could at least respect his strength of character. Instead he's saying he forgot.

Oh FFS passing something through Parliament is not a huge story. The tax cuts and welfare cuts were discussed heavily when they were announced in the Budget. To see it get through Parliament is very unexciting - the Tories have a Parliamentary majority and the tax credit legislation garnered cross-party support. It's not surprise. The story was covered when it was news.

The Corbyn story, when it was released, was news. Papers know it interests their readers, so they print it. He either looks like a bitter, disrespectful old man, or a dazed idiot. So what do you think makes a more natural headline, if you were trying to sell papers to a dying customer base? The fact legislation has been predictably passed through HoC, or the fact the new Leader of the Opposition, who is a pacifist republican, doesn't sing the national anthem?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying everyone should sing the national anthem. I'm saying the leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition, Privy Councillor, and PM-in-waiting should. Is that actually a ridiculous thing to think?

And if he admitted he did it out of conviction I could at least respect his strength of character. Instead he's saying he forgot.

Oh FFS passing something through Parliament is not a huge story. The tax cuts and welfare cuts were discussed heavily when they were announced in the Budget. To see it get through Parliament is very unexciting - the Tories have a Parliamentary majority and the tax credit legislation garnered cross-party support. It's not surprise. The story was covered when it was news.

The Corbyn story, when it was released, was news. Papers know it interests their readers, so they print it. He either looks like a bitter, disrespectful old man, or a dazed idiot. So what do you think makes a more natural headline, if you were trying to sell papers to a dying customer base? The fact legislation has been predictably passed through HoC, or the fact the new Leader of the Opposition, who is a pacifist republican, doesn't sing the national anthem?
    Yes it is utterly ridiculous to assert whether someone should or shouldn't sing the national anthem.
    I value personal freedom- to have the right to choose whether or not to sing our cringed national anthem.

Now Corbyn is a republican and probably an atheist so you'd probably call him a hypocrite if he did sing it.

But that's not even the point - the point is that this made front Page news ahead of far more pressing issues.
    It's bizarre- it's such a nothing story - it affects no one. Yet the press use it as a shameless smear on him.

It is propaganda- nothing short of it. They have the knives out for Corbyn while glossing over everything the Tory party does.

And no the tax credit story was not covered in any great scrutiny - the budget received double thumbs up from the Tory media who barely mentioned the cuts at all.

You're becoming nothing more then a Tory party cheerleader - it's a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is utterly ridiculous to assert whether someone should or shouldn't sing the national anthem.
    I value personal freedom- to have the right to choose whether or not to sing our cringed national anthem.

Now Corbyn is a republican and probably an atheist so you'd probably call him a hypocrite if he did sing it.

But that's not even the point - the point is that this made front Page news ahead of far more pressing issues.
    It's bizarre- it's such a nothing story - it affects no one. Yet the press use it as a shameless smear on him.

It is propaganda- nothing short of it. They have the knives out for Corbyn while glossing over everything the Tory party does.

And no the tax credit story was not covered in any great scrutiny - the budget received double thumbs up from the Tory media who barely mentioned the cuts at all.

You're becoming nothing more then a Tory party cheerleader - it's a joke.
    You've completely ignored my point that it is his position that means he should sing it. In your next response, I expect you to say why the Leader of HM's Most Loyal Opposition and PM-in-waiting should expect to be able to not sing the national anthem and complain when people comment on it.

And I'm no Tory cheerleader. I've been heavily critical of their post-2008 fiscal policy. But I know it's easier to play the man than the ball, so I understand why you said it.

ReputationRep:
    You've completely ignored my point that it is his position that means he should sing it. In your next response, I expect you to say why the Leader of HM's Most Loyal Opposition and PM-in-waiting should expect to be able to not sing the national anthem and complain when people comment on it.

And I'm no Tory cheerleader. I've been heavily critical of their post-2008 fiscal policy. But I know it's easier to play the man than the ball, so I understand why you said it.
    No, how effing petty- it's a song - he can choose whether or not to sing it. And the fact you're annoyed by it shows how utterly desperate you are to find anything to smear him with.

And you're complaining about personal jibes? Is that some sort of Joke? That's pretty Much your go to tactic albeit in a passive aggressive 'I'm better then you way'.
    But I'll let you get back to your Tory boy breeding ground. Some of the Shyte you write on here could be written by Osborne himself.

Blocked - I can't be bothered with your pettiness and facetiousness.

ReputationRep:
    No, how effing petty- it's a song - he can choose whether or not to sing it. And the fact you're annoyed by it shows how utterly desperate you are to find anything to smear him with.

And you're complaining about personal jibes? Is that some sort of Joke? That's pretty Much your go to tactic albeit in a passive aggressive 'I'm better then you way'.
    But I'll let you get back to your Tory boy breeding ground. Some of the Shyte you write on here could be written by Osborne himself.

Blocked - I can't be bothered with your pettiness and facetiousness.
    You really do have a lot of pent-up anger, don't you? You gag for these arguments - I've become a symbol of the Tory-boy scum you despise, despite my having opposed Osborne's post-2008 fiscal policy. What's even worse for you is that I'm actually thorough in my research, and where I have fact, you have feeling. I genuinely feel sorry for you. Lighten up!

It's not just a song and he's not just a normal guy. He wants to be the Prime Minister and we're talking about the national anthem.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by SignFromDog)
    It's not about appearance per se, it's about what his lack of effort says about his attitude.

Do you think it would be superficial to not give someone a job because they turned up to a job interview in a tracksuit? Would it be superficial, or would it be a reasonable consideration in terms of what it says about their mindset, and respect (or lack thereof) for the occasion?
    He does not appear to be wearing a tracksuit, he appears to be wearing an non-tailored suit. He showed the occasion appropriate respect and I doubt he disliked his parents to the extent that he'd do anything to dishonour them.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You really do have a lot of pent-up anger, don't you? You gag for these arguments - I've become a symbol of the Tory-boy scum you despise, despite my having opposed Osborne's post-2008 fiscal policy. What's even worse for you is that I'm actually thorough in my research, and where I have fact, you have feeling. I genuinely feel sorry for you. Lighten up!

It's not just a song and he's not just a normal guy. He wants to be the Prime Minister and we're talking about the national anthem.
    Why should the agnostic/atheist republican Leader of the Opposition have to sing the archaic national anthem? I recall no law that suggests he has to do so and as far as I'm aware the UK has managed to stave of fascism for the time being. If he'd sung it the very same papers would have called him a hypocrite - the ones that attacked his acceptance of privy council membership. The latter however is something he had to do as part of how this democracy works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I recall no law that suggests he has to do so and as far as I'm aware the UK has managed to stave of fascism for the time being.
    It's completely baffling to me that some people can make this argument presumably with a straight face.

No, it is not illegal for him not to sing. It does, however, tell us something about his attitudes. That is important. It is not equivalent to fascism and you embarrass yourself by making that comparison. We judge people, most of all people in Corbyn's position, by what they say and do, or do not say or do, all the time. That doesn't bring into question their freedom to say or not to say, or do or not to do, whatever they please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Why should the agnostic/atheist republican Leader of the Opposition have to sing the archaic national anthem? I recall no law that suggests he has to do so and as far as I'm aware the UK has managed to stave of fascism for the time being. If he'd sung it the very same papers would have called him a hypocrite - the ones that attacked his acceptance of privy council membership. The latter however is something he had to do as part of how this democracy works.
    Because it acknowledges the political system in which he operates. The Queen is symbolically the highest person in the land, and a politician who heads up the 'most loyal' opposition should acknowledge this. Even if you separate the Monarchy from this, that song is still the national anthem. Could he not have sang it for the country, if not for the Queen?

Look, I couldn't give less of a **** what the man does. I just think he shouldn't complain about getting 'undue' press attention when he makes a spectacle of himself.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I posted on this subject on another thread

He seems to be behaving with the surprise of someone who has just won Miss World rather than someone who had been a shoe-in for several weeks.

It was obvious that he would be haunted by the Donkey Jacket Question, yet there was no strategy to deal with it.

If he was not going to sing, he should have put out a press release beforehand:-
    As a republican/atheist/detester of mid 18th century music, Mr Corbyn will not join in the singing of the National Anthem. Mr Corbyn will stand silently contemplating the terrible loss of life during World War II. Mr Corbyn has affirmed his allegiance to the Queen, her heirs and successors at the beginning of each new session of Parliament since his election in 1983 and will do so again when he joins the Privy Council shortly.
    If he had done that, anyone challenging him about it would have looked like a bully.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.