Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor Who Episodes: Hurt/Heal Game watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Here are the rules:

1. Each episode in the list starts off with 30 points.
    2. Each person will be able to add 5 points to one episode and subtract 5 points from another until a) an episode reaches 60 points and enters the Hall of Fame, or b) an episode reaches 0 points and gets put in the Hall of Shame.
    3. Once an episode reaches 0 or 60 points you're allowed to add a new one, which will start at 30 points... and so on and so forth.
    4. You can have as many turns as you want, but at least one other person has to go before you can have another turn.

Please include the full list in your post though, as it's difficult to follow otherwise

Starting list:
    Love and Monsters (30)
    Midnight (30)
    Turn Left (30)
    The Eleventh Hour (30)
    The Power of Three (30)
    Blink (30)
    Doomsday (30)
    Shakespeare Code (30)
    Kill the Moon (30)
    Boom Town (30)

Hall of Fame:
    Blink
    Midnight
    Partners in Crime
    The Waters of Mars
    Tooth and Claw
    The Empty Child
    Turn Left
    Family of Blood
    Flatline

Hall of Shame:
    Love and Monsters
    Kill the Moon
    The Eleventh Hour
    Boom Town
    The Power of Three
    Remembrance of the Daleks
    The Magician's Apprentice
    The Bells of Saint John
    Flesh and Stone
    Asylum of the Daleks
    The Beast Below
    The Girl Who Waited
    Just to let u know, planet of the dead is now happily in the hall of fame

(Original post by CoolCavy)
    yes! she was feisty, pretty and her and 10 got on really well, she wouldn't of had to stay a criminal either as the doctor could have turned her against crime or something. *sigh* a wasted oppertunity
    One of the things that really stuck in my mind and made me really warm to the idea of Lady Christina becoming companion, was the fact that there was a really random and unusual bit in Planet of the Dead where Christina says "You look human" to the Doctor, to which he responds by saying "You look Time Lord". Looking back in hindsight, perhaps Lady Christina was actually The Rani in human form? (highly unlikely, though, as well as being terribly unoriginal and predictable, since this is the exact way in which the Master returned!)

Not only that, though, I also loved how Christina pretty much already had the smarts and the resourcefulness to actually go where the Doctor couldn't, to help him get what he needed (i.e. the scene where she winched herself down a shaft on that spaceship) - they just made for a really interesting team! And the fact that Christina was a thief who liked to steal valuable things was another interesting angle, seeing as the Doctor stole the Tardis from his own people - which he tells her about during the shaft scene. And I also don't actually think Christina stayed a criminal after the events of Planet of the Dead, going by how the episode ended. I think the Doctor showed her that the thrill of adventure was far more important than the payoff from stealing valuable items - which, I think, left a lasting impression on her, as she drove away in the flying bus at the end!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lustawny)
    One of the things that really stuck in my mind and made me really warm to the idea of Lady Christina becoming companion, was the fact that there was a really random and unusual bit in Planet of the Dead where Christina says "You look human" to the Doctor, to which he responds by saying "You look Time Lord". Looking back in hindsight, perhaps Lady Christina was actually The Rani in human form? (highly unlikely, though, as well as being terribly unoriginal and predictable, since this is the exact way in which the Master returned!)

Not only that, though, I also loved how Christina pretty much already had the smarts and the resourcefulness to actually go where the Doctor couldn't, to help him get what he needed (i.e. the scene where she winched herself down a shaft on that spaceship) - they just made for a really interesting team! And the fact that Christina was a thief who liked to steal valuable things was another interesting angle, seeing as the Doctor stole the Tardis from his own people - which he tells her about during the shaft scene. And I also don't actually think Christina stayed a criminal after the events of Planet of the Dead, going by how the episode ended. I think the Doctor showed her that the thrill of adventure was far more important than the payoff from stealing valuable items - which, I think, left a lasting impression on her, as she drove away in the flying bus at the end!
    totally agree with everything u said, and i agree she was really clever.

Honestly she was just really awesome and like sally sparrow, i wish she would come back

ReputationRep:
    Doomsday (20)
    The Shakespeare Code (45) +5
    Utopia (30)
    The Idiot's Lantern (45)
    Silence in the Library (45)
    The Fires of Pompeii (35)
    Dalek (35)
    The Lazarus Experiment (40)
    Gridlock (20) -5
    The Girl in the Fireplace (30)

I agree with you on this; she would've been refreshingly original for a companion. They were made for each other, after all, as the Doctor himself even says during the episode!
    I think her character would have made a wonderful companion, but given the recent companions, I think I'm quite glad she never became one. I'd rather have the memory of her being a wonderful one episode character (as with Sally Sparrow) than having her ruined by staying too long. :daydreaming:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Doomsday (15) -5
    The Shakespeare Code (45)
    Utopia (30)
    The Idiot's Lantern (45)
    The Fires of Pompeii (35)
    Dalek (35)
    Gridlock (25) +5 Really liked this one

Doomsday (15)
    Utopia (35) +5
    The Idiot's Lantern (45)
    The Fires of Pompeii (30) -5
    Dalek (35)
    Gridlock (25)

(Original post by Aula)
    I think her character would have made a wonderful companion, but given the recent companions, I think I'm quite glad she never became one. I'd rather have the memory of her being a wonderful one episode character (as with Sally Sparrow) than having her ruined by staying too long. :daydreaming:
    This is so true; the companions in Doctor Who (certainly the more recent ones since its revival in 2005) do have a tendency to risk "outstaying their welcome", so to speak, if they're involved for too long. Case in point is Rose. I, personally, thought she's been one of, if not the best companion to the Doctor, that the programme has ever seen (and I know many of you will disagree with me saying that). However, during Rose's tenure as companion, I feel that as time went on, her entire character and personality was gradually beginning to become more and more bogged down and worn down with how transparent and cliched her relationship with the Doctor was getting. So much so, in fact, that by the time of her cringeworthy and unnecessarily emotive departure during Doomsday, it was actually a welcome relief that she was leaving forever.

I'm glad Billie Piper got the opportunity to be in the 50th anniversary special, though, because I think her performance was spectacular in it. I'm just really glad she got the chance to redeem herself in my mind.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Doomsday (10) -5
    Utopia (35)
    The Idiot's Lantern (45)
    The Fires of Pompeii (30)
    Dalek (35)
    Gridlock (30)+5

ReputationRep:
    Doomsday (10)
    Utopia (35)
    The Idiot's Lantern (45)
    Dalek (40) +5
    Gridlock (25) -5

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doomsday (10)
    Utopia (35)
    The Idiot's Lantern (40) -5
    Dalek (40)
    Gridlock (25)
    The Girl in the Fireplace (35) +5 (my favourite ever episode)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lustawny)
    This is so true; the companions in Doctor Who (certainly the more recent ones since its revival in 2005) do have a tendency to risk "outstaying their welcome", so to speak, if they're involved for too long. Case in point is Rose. I, personally, thought she's been one of, if not the best companion to the Doctor, that the programme has ever seen (and I know many of you will disagree with me saying that). However, during Rose's tenure as companion, I feel that as time went on, her entire character and personality was gradually beginning to become more and more bogged down and worn down with how transparent and cliched her relationship with the Doctor was getting. So much so, in fact, that by the time of her cringeworthy and unnecessarily emotive departure during Doomsday, it was actually a welcome relief that she was leaving forever.

I'm glad Billie Piper got the opportunity to be in the 50th anniversary special, though, because I think her performance was spectacular in it. I'm just really glad she got the chance to redeem herself in my mind.
    Pretty sure I agree with every single thing you've said here!

I think this may be why I liked Donna - because she went at more or less the prefer time (as well as the fact that she never had the ridiculous unrequited love story that so many of the companions have had )

ReputationRep:
    Doomsday (10)
    Utopia (35)
    The Idiot's Lantern (40)
    Dalek (40)
    The Lazarus Experiment (35) -5
    Gridlock (25)
    The Girl in the Fireplace (40) +5
    Madame du pompadour - now there's another wonderful companion that never was :daydreaming:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Doomsday (5) -5
    Utopia (35)
    The Idiot's Lantern (40)
    Dalek (40)
    The Lazarus Experiment (35)
    Gridlock (30) +5
    The Girl in the Fireplace (40)

ReputationRep:
    The Girl in the Fireplace is such a brilliant episode for me because it has everything, and genuinely makes you feel something. It has the silliness and element of fun, such as when the Doctor comes in with his sunglasses/bandana and singing, which is hilarious, and the horse that appears, but the silliness has a purpose: the Doctor is stalling for time til he pours his glass of wine over the clockwork men, and the horse is used later to break through the window - plus it makes sense that it's there because it's accidentally wandered through a time window. So it works, as opposed to the later Moffat episode which threw in too much silliness and for no reason. The fun in The Girl in the Fireplace is balanced with the sadness when the Doctor feels when he is stuck on 'the slow path' and you know he won't be happy no matter how much he pretends he will. And the sacrifice of Madame du Pompadour to show him the fireplace and give up her imaginary friend so that he can travel again, even though you can feel the relationship between them despite only having met a few times, it makes the Doctor seem so much more human. And the hopelessness at the end when you slowly realise he's just missed her, and suddenly the Doctor's inability to land where/when he says he's going to isn't just a running gag, it's something raw and sad. Plus the clockwork men are genuinely scary, despite their tameness the very premise of them is frightening. For weeks after I first saw it I was terrified of any clock ticking! I love that Rose shows independence and courage as opposed to sitting around waiting for the Doctor, and it's Mickey who's scared - a nice gender reversal. Then at the very end you see the portrait of Madame du Pompadour as the TARDIS disappears, and it's one of the few times we know something the Doctor doesn't - a very satisfying feeling! I just really love this episode.

Doomsday (0) -5 (we got there, finally!)
    Utopia (35)
    The Idiot's Lantern (40)
    Dalek (40)
    The Lazarus Experiment (40) +5
    Gridlock (30)

Oops, forgot to add:

New episode: Night Terrors (30) (probably the only Matt Smith era episode I actually like!)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Utopia (35)
    The Idiot's Lantern (40)
    Dalek (40)
    Gridlock (35) +5
    Night Terrors (25) -5

so glad Doomsday has finally gone

ReputationRep:
    Clockwork (the girl in the fireplace) is one of my faves !!
    and also Bad Wolf
    The Doctor Dances , and so on ....
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    None of Matt Smith's episodes have reached the Hall of Fame yet :mmm:

(I have nothing against the actors/actresses of those series, the plots just weren't very good )
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Utopia (35)
    The Idiot's Lantern (45) +5
    Dalek (40)
    The Lazarus Experiment (35) -5
    Gridlock (35)
    Night Terrors (25)

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.