Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd say history is easier but that's because geography never interested me and didn't take it for GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid)
    bump
    ok :-I just blank me
    dont just bump ads without replying
    people spend time replying and would just like some respect
    jeez
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I take both, and i'd say History is easier (mainly because i much prefer it over geo)
    both are heavy on paragraph answers, with geography you have to give a few examples in your answers, remember different concepts, and be able to do other skills like map reading and all that.
    History is just content tbh. revise it and apply the correct info to the question. have to remember dates of course, and people, and if you learn the course like a chronological story then you just got yourself an A *

ReputationRep:
    sorry iss123 thank yall. ive gotten a lot of advice but still find it hard to choose :c

ReputationRep:
    medicine
    Obviously History, especially if you're doing Medicine through Time. Ask what course.

ReputationRep:
    nazi Germany, cold war, civil right movement, Britain cant remember dates forBritain
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I am doing Edexcel for Geography and Edexcel or AQA for History.
    My other options are: Sociology and French
    I'd say that history would go best with those options but history is probably harder. If you are doing the medicine through time syllabus then history would definitely be best but I can't remember which exam board that is. Overall I'd say that history would be best for you anyway but I'm probably slightly bias by the fact I do history.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    nazi Germany, cold war, civil right movement, Britain cant remember dates forBritain
    that sounds like the course im doing, i did black american civil rights and america foreign policy
    now im doing britain 1930-50s and will be doing hitlers germany soon

ReputationRep:
    It depends how much you like exams and how much you like 2000 word essays. If you don't mind the essays, pick History.

ReputationRep:
    history's harder.... You have to learn loads of dates and events

ReputationRep:
    I did both, got an A* in both, History is harder as there is more content to learn and source analysis and structure is difficult. Geography is relatively easy but remembering the large number of case studies is relatively difficult.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Shostakovish)
    I like your username. I felt the same.
    fortunately it's my last year of this compulsory hell, and my teacher apparently doesnt want another year of having a statue on the court :') but you know what he should just let it go cos it's my last year :P

ReputationRep:
    I took both (Geography with WJEC and History with OCR) and I would say History is harder than Geography. But it depends on your ability, motivation and what exam boards you're doing etc.

ReputationRep:
    the last day of choosing history or geography is today, i have to give my answer in tomorrow, i am still stressing about what to choose because my friends said they like history but there is a lot of work. i also like history but im afraid that i would need to memorise so much and i would forget it in the exam. i dont like geography as much as history but apparently there is less work to do.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently deciding what to do for GCSE
    Which one is harder AND WHY!
    DO NOT DO HISTORY!!!!!!! it is so boring and i studied like hell only to get a C whilst with geography i was never paying attention and aced it because it was similar to physics in science and was really common sense based.

ReputationRep:
    is history really that hard? i was going to decide on doing history bu everyone is saying stay with geography.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently deciding what to do for GCSE
    Which one is harder AND WHY!
    hi
    (this is like a week late sorry)
    BUT
    i do geography and tbh i find it pretty easy as long as ur willing to but effort in it should be easy.
    i cant talk for history but my friends do it and they REGRET taking it.. however anything is easy if your willing to do the necessary work.
    geo has coursework which can really help you. all i can say is ACE ur cw and then that's like 25% out of the way.
    good luck with which ever you choose
    but you should do the subject you are currently performing better in as that's the smartest thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    I think i'm going with history, but any advice on how to do good in the exams in history, and what are the hardest parts of history.

ReputationRep:
    History is 60% knowledge (you only use a small amount in the exam) and 40% exam technique, get your teacher to teach you the proper exam technique and you will be fine.

If you can try and do both, I didn't do a language so I could do both.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as someone who has now taken both GCSE History and GCSE Geography, I would say that, personally, geography was easier - but that might just be because I got a better grade in it!

Coursework is crucial in both however, as it will drag a potentially fantastic mark down to be amongst average scores. The geography coursework involves a lot of graphs, photographs and diagrams, whereas history is exclusively writing. As long as you work hard on this and attend any catch-up sessions, you should be fine. In geography (which I collected my result for in August), I got 100, 100, 100, 93 in the respective modules, and have to say that the Skills and Challenges section was the hardest for most people - it might be worth mentioning that I did Edexcel Geography A. Whereas in history (which I collected on results day last year), I got 80, 83, 88, 100, with the surgery paper (in Edexcel again!) being my best paper.

I must say that I found geography slightly easier but it could have something to do with the fact that I had friends, better teachers and I was more motivated - but neither of them were a walk in the park! I wish you the best of luck!

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.