Turn on thread page Beta

Are there any Muslim converts on here preferably from a judea-christian background? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hilrho)
    I'd really like to get to know Islamophiles, Muslim Converts or those that are genuinely interested in Islam (i.e not to disapprove it or look down upon it but want to know more about it/knows a lot about it and sees it to be quiet beautiful).

It would be preferred if you're from a judeo-christian background but anyone's welcome to comment as long as you would like to talk about the Quran in a respectful manner rather than call the prophet a pedophile etc.
    Although i was born into a Muslim family, i believe I've "rediscovered" my faith a few years ago. I have done a tremendous amount of research and studying and concluded it's the best thing that could ever happen to anyone. I don't think I'm being bias either because i've also studied other religions extensively (mainly Christianity and Judaism) and haven't arrived at the same conclusion.

If there's a particular topic you would like to discuss in Islam I am more than happy to share the little knowledge that I may have. I can also send you some incredible videos I've come across the years of researching ranging from all topics if you would like.

Peace be upon you.

ReputationRep:
    yes I remember from reading your PM - thats why I thought I should tell you I was asked to start like this year but I'm putting it up for after my A2 during my gap year, I've got a thread about it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3585331
    That's really cool, just read your post on the other thread. Well I think you should take up the opportunity, but it's wise to do it after your A2 as you've said you would Hope it works out for you =]

(Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    That's really cool, just read your post on the other thread. Well I think you should take up the opportunity, but it's wise to do it after your A2 as you've said you would Hope it works out for you =]
    Thank you And you should let me know if you do decide to get into catalogue modelling - We should totally do a campaign together: My uncle owns a clothing brand and we could do it for that it'd be fun! And yes I'm utterly serious

EDIT: clothes are made by women in the third world who are single and stuff so it would be helping economic growth for lower class single women in the third world too.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you And you should let me know if you do decide to get into catalogue modelling - We should totally do a campaign together: My uncle owns a clothing brand and we could do it for that it'd be fun! And yes I'm utterly serious

EDIT: clothes are made by women in the third world who are single and stuff so it would be helping economic growth for lower class single women in the third world too.
    I already do want to go in to catalogue modelling, but I've actually no idea how to go about doing so. You got scouted, I didn't aha. That would be so cool to campaign with you for your uncles business !!
    I am also serious

You always do things with others in mind, very thoughtful of you

ReputationRep:
    Well I'll have a look through them when I'm done with exams as I do like reading.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'm a total nerd
    So do you believe in a higher power? What do you find interesting when studying all religion as a whole? What do you find interesting in Islam?
    Haha, I am fond of reading myself, although sadly I never get around to reading as much as I would love to.

I would classify myself as an agnostic-atheist. But I am always open to exploring and learning more. Plus I think even as an atheist, there is still much that Atheists can learn from religions. There is actually quite a good book by Alain de Botton called "Religion for Atheists: A Non-Believer's Guide to the Uses of Religion."

I think first and foremost, religions contain some of the oldest stories and human practices that allow us to gain a greater insight into our early human ancestors and who they were and how they saw the world. I also like to ponder on the great existential questions such as what the meaning of life is, what it means to be a good and moral person etc... and religions often try to provide answers to these such questions.

As for Islam, I find most interesting the variety and diversity of practises. Too often, Islam is portrayed as this highly rigid singular entity, when that is anything but the truth. From the whirling dervishes, to the Muridiyya, from Islam in Saudi Arabia to Islam in Indonesia, there are many different practices, beliefs and implementations of Islam. I find most interesting those that don't fit the conventional image of Islam and adopt a more progressive interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    Are they converts/islamophiles?
    Yes, they are converts from Christian backgrounds.

(Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    Yes, they are converts from Christian backgrounds.
    Merci Beaucoup

I already do want to go in to catalogue modelling, but I've actually no idea how to go about doing so. You got scouted, I didn't aha. That would be so cool to campaign with you for your uncles business !!
    I am also serious

You always do things with others in mind, very thoughtful of you
    Have you tried sending in your pictures to Modelling Agencies? You need to get an agent first, they book you for campaigns. I'm lucky to be scouted though, if you lived here I could've hooked you up with them or better you should've gone to the Italian wedding with me (if only we knew each other back then) - that's where I first met Donatello as they're related! So I'll be lucky enough to start at a good place

You wouldn't be saying that once I start speaking, like it hurts to keep my mouth shut and not talk would prolly need to get ear muffs ESPECIALLY if I start talking about philosophy and Islam but you can hear me talk about that all day can't you (why did you remove that I read it while revising and I was like awww he's so sweet!!!)

(Original post by The Epicurean)
    Haha, I am fond of reading myself, although sadly I never get around to reading as much as I would love to.

I would classify myself as an agnostic-atheist. But I am always open to exploring and learning more. Plus I think even as an atheist, there is still much that Atheists can learn from religions. There is actually quite a good book by Alain de Botton called "Religion for Atheists: A Non-Believer's Guide to the Uses of Religion."

I think first and foremost, religions contain some of the oldest stories and human practices that allow us to gain a greater insight into our early human ancestors and who they were and how they saw the world. I also like to ponder on the great existential questions such as what the meaning of life is, what it means to be a good and moral person etc... and religions often try to provide answers to these such questions.

As for Islam, I find most interesting the variety and diversity of practises. Too often, Islam is portrayed as this highly rigid singular entity, when that is anything but the truth. From the whirling dervishes, to the Muridiyya, from Islam in Saudi Arabia to Islam in Indonesia, there are many different practices, beliefs and implementations of Islam. I find most interesting those that don't fit the conventional image of Islam and adopt a more progressive interpretation.
    I know what you mean, I haven't been able to read much for the past couple months but this summer was all about me me, Chéri, Pride and the Prejudice and gorging on macaroons, hors d'oeuvre and canapés by the lake

Now I really really wanna go back It's all your fault! You reminded me of sweet sweet summer, thats right I blame it on you

Ooh that sounds like an interesting title - is it included in the gigantic list you gave me earlier? If not, I'd like to read that

Well I'm Bisexual so if I become muslim you will deffo find my views interesting I'm sure

(Original post by Hydeman)
    Fair enough.

If you're interested in theology, you can always study the religion without actually joining it. That's an option too.

I grew up in Saudi Arabia, studied Islamic Studies as a compulsory subject in school, and have read the Koran in both Arabic and English numerous times.

In any case, good luck to you in your future endeavours (including getting into Oxbridge!).
    Hey there! Yup i know, thats what I'm trying to figure out - if I believe in it or if I simply like it which is why I wanted to speak to converts and you know just relate .

Are you Saudi Arabian? 😱What does your parents think about you not being muslim anymore? (As for you showing me wikipedia, I don't actually look into islam through wikipedia or you know youtube videos by zakir naik or whatever - I'm actually quite critical of them - I've been lucky to talk about linguistic scholars of the arabic used in the Quran (which since you know arabic you must know is different from your everyday arabic). So I different in my views a lot with mainstream Islam you see most muslims practicing .

Thanks for wishing me luck - keep your fingers crossed for me

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried sending in your pictures to Modelling Agencies? You need to get an agent first, they book you for campaigns. I'm lucky to be scouted though, if you lived here I could've hooked you up with them or better you should've gone to the Italian wedding with me (if only we knew each other back then) - that's where I first met Donatello as they're related! So I'll be lucky enough to start at a good place

You wouldn't be saying that once I start speaking, like it hurts to keep my mouth shut and not talk would prolly need to get ear muffs ESPECIALLY if I start talking about philosophy and Islam but you can hear me talk about that all day can't you (why did you remove that I read it while revising and I was like awww he's so sweet!!!)
    I haven't actually. Could you help me with that ? I don't know where to start. Maybe I'm not good enough? Yah you are pretty lucky aha .. Damn that's so sweet of you, if only..

I'm a good listener, I don't usually talk much, but I listen really well so I'm sure I'll manage hearing ya, besides I do find you interesting. I removed it because I thought it may come across as cheesy, especially on a public forum.

I haven't actually. Could you help me with that ? I don't know where to start. Maybe I'm not good enough? Yah you are pretty lucky aha .. Damn that's so sweet of you, if only..

I'm a good listener, I don't usually talk much, but I listen really well so I'm sure I'll manage hearing ya, besides I do find you interesting. I removed it because I thought it may come across as cheesy, especially on a public forum.
    I haven't seen you but if people tell you to model then chances are you ARE good enough :yep: Okay so you have to get a professional photographer to take pictures of you in different setting and show all sides of your face and body. You have to contact the modelling agencies themselves - I don't know about Plymouth but there are TONS in London. A simple google research will help you find names and addresses - I would give you the details of the agent who scouted me but they're in Paris. I wish I could be of more help, if I was there I could've gotten you hooked for sure (my family is well connected).

Thats good then, you can stay quiet and I can ramble on and on and on for as long as I like then :awesome: That wasn't cheesy, THIS is cheesy:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  gouda_fondue01.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  43.0 KBnomnomnonnom

ReputationRep:
    Thats good then, you can stay quiet and I can ramble on and on and on for as long as I like then :awesome: That wasn't cheesy, THIS is cheesy:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen you but if people tell you to model then chances are you ARE good enough :yep: Okay so you have to get a professional photographer to take pictures of you in different setting and show all sides of your face and body. You have to contact the modelling agencies themselves - I don't know about Plymouth but there are TONS in London. A simple google research will help you find names and addresses - I would give you the details of the agent who scouted me but they're in Paris. I wish I could be of more help, if I was there I could've gotten you hooked for sure (my family is well connected).

Spoiler:
    Show
    Alright thanks for the insight! you've helped a lot already I'm sure I can get hold of a photographer, I know a few I'll speak to you about this via PM once you get the chance to respond. I'm surprised you remember I study in Plymouth, but live in London - your memory is pretty impressive

That actually made me laugh aha I'm glad we got that out of the way ! Don't call it rambling, since that would mean you're saying what you speak is confusing and senseless, and that isn't true since you're very articulate

Are you Saudi Arabian? 😱What does your parents think about you not being muslim anymore?
    No, I'm British. My parents moved there for a while (if ten years can be called 'a while') and Islamic Studies was a compulsory subject in my school so I had to do it whether I wanted to or not. It wasn't too bad actually, since it was all rote learning and I was extraordinarily good at that when I was younger.

(As for you showing me wikipedia, I don't actually look into islam through wikipedia or you know youtube videos by zakir naik or whatever - I'm actually quite critical of them - I've been lucky to talk about linguistic scholars of the arabic used in the Quran (which since you know arabic you must know is different from your everyday arabic). So I different in my views a lot with mainstream Islam you see most muslims practicing .
    But the Hadith themselves are the same, whether you get them from Wikipedia or elsewhere... That's what I was basically trying to point out (I know that the article itself is shoddy, but the Hadith are accurate). You could look for them elsewhere, I suppose, but my point was that apostasy within Islam is a thing and there's quite a consensus among scholars what the appropriate punishment is, based on the Hadith.

Haha, I'd like to be able to say that I can speak Arabic but unfortunately I can't. I went to an international school where the medium of instruction was English. I can read Arabic just fine (although I haven't in quite some time) but I don't know any nuanced differences in dialect, no -- although I could have guessed as much because languages tend to evolve over 1400 years and also because I've studied the history of how and why the Koran was compiled under the first and third Caliphs and all errant copies destroyed. My school had a grand tradition of rote learning so you could do well in almost any exams if you had a good memory and, luckily, I did.

ReputationRep:

I know what you mean, I haven't been able to read much for the past couple months but this summer was all about me me, Chéri, Pride and the Prejudice and gorging on macaroons, hors d'oeuvre and canapés by the lake

Now I really really wanna go back It's all your fault! You reminded me of sweet sweet summer, thats right I blame it on you

Ooh that sounds like an interesting title - is it included in the gigantic list you gave me earlier? If not, I'd like to read that

Well I'm Bisexual so if I become muslim you will deffo find my views interesting I'm sure
    Hey, sorry I forgot to reply to this message

I didn't get to read much throughout the summer, so I'm jelly

Nah, that book isn't in the list. It doesn't discuss Islam as it is written from the authors perspective as an atheist from a Jewish family living in a Christian country. So obviously Judaism and Christianity are the two religions he knows most about and discusses in the book.

Haha, indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dose of fury)
    Although i was born into a Muslim family, i believe I've "rediscovered" my faith a few years ago. I have done a tremendous amount of research and studying and concluded it's the best thing that could ever happen to anyone. I don't think I'm being bias either because i've also studied other religions extensively (mainly Christianity and Judaism) and haven't arrived at the same conclusion.

If there's a particular topic you would like to discuss in Islam I am more than happy to share the little knowledge that I may have. I can also send you some incredible videos I've come across the years of researching ranging from all topics if you would like.

Peace be upon you.
    Salaam. I'm pretty much in your boat, although I actually considered myself atheist and used to debate muslims online until I was about 15/16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    No, I'm British. My parents moved there for a while (if ten years can be called 'a while' and Islamic Studies was a compulsory subject in my school so I had to do it whether I wanted to or not. It wasn't too bad actually, since it was all rote learning and I was extraordinarily good at that when I was younger.

But the Hadith themselves are the same, whether you get them from Wikipedia or elsewhere... That's what I was basically trying to point out (I know that the article itself is shoddy, but the Hadith are accurate). You could look for them elsewhere, I suppose, but my point was that apostasy within Islam is a thing and there's quite a consensus among scholars what the appropriate punishment is, based on the Hadith.

Haha, I'd like to be able to say that I can speak Arabic but unfortunately I can't. I went to an international school where the medium of instruction was English. I can read Arabic just fine (although I haven't in quite some time) but I don't know any nuanced differences in dialect, no -- although I could have guessed as much because languages tend to evolve over 1400 years and also because I've studied the history of how and why the Koran was compiled under the first and third Caliphs and all errant copies destroyed. My school had a grand tradition of rote learning so you could do well in almost any exams if you had a good memory and, luckily, I did.
    The hadiths can't be all that accurate if there remain serious inconsistencies in even the six books held high by the sunni madh'hab. The scholarly 'work' on the science of hadith is not 'completed'. In fact, more than ever we need the every day muslim engaged in the historical analysis of hadiths.

ReputationRep:
    I was a staunch, somewhat militant atheist in my early teens. I read Dawkins' God Delusion, watched atheist debates on YT, and basically thought all religion was dumb as it was what I had been raised to believe.

When I met a Muslim for the first time during secondary school my outlook on religion began to change completely. She showed me how Islam is supported by science with embryology for example, and I bought a translated Qu'ran to learn more about Islam. Recently I have embraced that Allah (swt) is God and that has changed my life greatly. Suddenly I see meaning in the world that I just didn't before.

Currently, I am reading my Qu'ran and trying to understand it more thoroughly. The things I never knew previously include the many sects of this religion. Right now, I'm trying to develop my own understanding of Islam, without focusing too much on sects. I especially don't know much about the Hadiths, and their legitimacy and this is a big learning point for me right now.

(Original post by Hasan_Ahmed)
    The hadiths can't be all that accurate if there remain serious inconsistencies in even the six books held high by the sunni madh'hab. The scholarly 'work' on the science of hadith is not 'completed'. In fact, more than ever we need the every day muslim engaged in the historical analysis of hadiths.
    The point I was making was that the Hadith on Wikipedia are no more inaccurate by virtue of being on Wikipedia than Hadith found elsewhere. To continue what you were saying, I'd go so far as saying that both the Hadith and the Koran are inaccurate, but that's probably unwelcome to both you and hilrho.

(Original post by ScaredBanana)
    I was a staunch, somewhat militant atheist in my early teens. I read Dawkins' God Delusion, watched atheist debates on YT, and basically thought all religion was dumb as it was what I had been raised to believe.

When I met a Muslim for the first time during secondary school my outlook on religion began to change completely. She showed me how Islam is supported by science with embryology for example, and I bought a translated Qu'ran to learn more about Islam. Recently I have embraced that Allah (swt) is God and that has changed my life greatly. Suddenly I see meaning in the world that I just didn't before.

Currently, I am reading my Qu'ran and trying to understand it more thoroughly. The things I never knew previously include the many sects of this religion. Right now, I'm trying to develop my own understanding of Islam, without focusing too much on sects. I especially don't know much about the Hadiths, and their legitimacy and this is a big learning point for me right now.
    It seems to me that your teenage atheism was more the product of a rebellious spirit and a desire to not be associated with uncool religion than any actual belief that the existence of a god is unlikely. Nobody who read The God Delusion and actually understood it can, in my view, have converted to Islam afterwards.

The whole point of that book was to talk about religion as a delusion in terms of being something that people believe in without the necessary evidence. If you believed that, then your conversion to Islam either indicates a change in values (i.e. evidence no longer required for belief in a god) or a lack of proper reasons to be an atheist in the first place. The highlighted part of the quote supports this -- you were raised to dislike religion rather than disliking it because you were moved by The God Delusion or the debates on YT.

Islam is not supported by science. There are hundreds of examples of Islam contradicting science -- the most prominent being its staunch insistence that the story of Adam and Eve was literally true despite all the evidence indicating otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScaredBanana)
    Qur'anic embryology is riddled with scientific errors and omissions, proving quite clearly that it's not the work of an all-knowing God. In addition, there isn't a single piece of precise, original science in Islamic scripture. In fact, the Qur'an is replete with scientific errors.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.