Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nah. I believe in God, but there are too many religions, all in disagreement with each other, you're doing wrong by one by visiting the worshipping place of another, and it's impossible to prove if any of them are right so I just focus on being a good person and hope it's good enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Nah. I believe in God, but there are too many religions, all in disagreement with each other, you're doing wrong by one by visiting the worshipping place of another, and it's impossible to prove if any of them are right so I just focus on being a good person and hope it's good enough
    Let's go visit different places of worship some day!

ReputationRep:
    No as if I do I burn

ReputationRep:
    I try to when I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Because they're thinking of all the food they're gonna be eating
    ohhhh I see fair enough, I thought you meant the actual service itself was different and loads of fun or something. like the guy giving the service just plays sharades or something

I'm muslim but ive been to loads of very long services because my old school is Christian so yeah...

why's it unsafe for you to go queen bee?

ReputationRep:
    I go to a church to vote but that's it. Waste of time otherwise and even then...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Let's go visit different places of worship some day!
    Let's Then we could start a review blog, rating everything from the facilities to the hospitality to the likelihood that you'd go again and eventually become a follower of the religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Let's Then we could start a review blog, rating everything from the facilities to the hospitality to the likelihood that you'd go again and eventually become a follower of the religion
    I need to buy a hijab if we are going to go to a mosque. And I need to cover my hair also if going to the synagogue? I'm not sure. But sounds like a great idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radk)
    ohhhh I see fair enough, I thought you meant the actual service itself was different and loads of fun or something. like the guy giving the service just plays sharades or something

I'm muslim but ive been to loads of very long services because my old school is Christian so yeah...

why's it unsafe for you to go queen bee?
    Because of unrest in the region,I get scared

ReputationRep:
    **** no, religion is a load of ****e.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes. I'm technically Agnostic, but I like going to churches occasionally for community events. I like the singing and the ritual, too. I tend to like Episcopalian churches in particular, because they are very ornate, I like the white robes they wear, and they're generally friendly. Still, it would be expensive to go every weekend because I think they expect you to pay tithes, and I don't have a job. LOL.

I think I like the tradition and the community of it, and I don't really go around telling people that I don't believe. I usually pray when asked to do so, and I like associating with people who identify with Christianity. I'm a fairly ascetic, spiritual person, kind of generous, not really hedonistic at all... I just don't intellectually believe in God, although I like the idea of it.

When I was really young, I used to think we were worshipping the Bible and language itself. Because they said things like "In the beginning there was the word, and the word was God", I thought it had to do with paying respect to the moral traditions written down in the past, and the power of language to communicate important messages while bringing communities together. I didn't think people believed in a literal man in the sky, I thought it was supposed to be a metaphor for the concept of infinity and the continuity of life. I was rather disappointed when I found out people believe things literally.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been to church in a long time :O

I need an answer and humans can’t provide it I look at the Earth and Sun and I can tell a genius man designed it It’s truly mind blowing, I can’t deny it Is heaven real? Is it fake? Is it really how I fantasize it? Where’s the Holy Ghost at? How long’s it take a man to find it?

ReputationRep:
    I try to get to church every week (although some weeks it isn't feasible). My church was so cold this morning I could see my breath! Thank goodness for choir robes!

That said I really enjoy going to Church, being part of such a wonderful group of people and worshipping God together. Plus my current church does really good cake after the service. (Not that that's any sort of reason for going to church...)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I need to buy a hijab if we are going to go to a mosque. And I need to cover my hair also if going to the synagogue? I'm not sure. But sounds like a great idea
    I'd have to google these things myself NGL, no idea what women and men should be wearing in some of these different places :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mespannerhanz)
    Yep every Sunday. Best time of the week. Love it
    Me too! :five: I go every Sunday, no matter what, and I try to go during the week sometimes, for bible study. The presence of the holy spirit and the connection to God is awesome. The best purpose in life is being in His presence and doing Jesus's will. With Jesus I am truly complete.

(Original post by PPF)
    Hello.

I'm an ex-Muslim (I've abandoned Religion actually) but I've always wanted to experience a Church Service. Could you please explain what i'm supposed to do? Like do I just walk in and sit wherever and is there any particular conduct I should respect or adhere to?
    Just go to a local Church near you. Go to a bible based Church. Just walk in and sit anywhere, you shall be welcomed into the Church by the pastor and congregation. They will introduce you to Jesus. Accept Jesus into your life and He shall dwell in you and give your peace. Please do try to go. God bless you.

ReputationRep:
    Because of unrest in the region,I get scared
    ok fair play, do they have something against Syrians?

ReputationRep:
    No, but I have been in the past and also when I used to volunteer, for drama workshops + girlguiding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love going to church, such a great place to hear from God's word and to spend time with friends - have been going for about 3/4 years now, I've found a great church at uni as well What sort of church are you interested in going to? x

ReputationRep:
    Like on weekends and especially Christmas and on Easter or any other Christian celebration/holiday? If so do you go to a particular church?

I've been slacking but would love to go on a regular basis myself.
    I have a diffreent concept.
    I believe one becomes a member of the family of Jesus Christ by being baptised in the Spirit of God (1 Corinthians 12:13), otherwise known as being "born again", just like all the disciples in Acts 2:4, see also vv33, 37-39.

This makes you a new creature with a new heart and mind, and although you will not appreciate that innitially, meeting with others who are living that new Life will wake you up to what God is about.

Many people have never been to a meeting like 1 Corinthians 14 details. Where I go we have:

Spiritual songs
    Personal testimony
    Communion (Sundays only)
    2 or 3 gifts of tongues, each followed by a gift of interpretation
    2 or 3 gifts of prophecy
    bible-based talk / presentation
    prayer for needs (gifts of faith, healing)_
    close, fellowship, opportunity for private chat etc.

I hope you visit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radk)
    ok fair play, do they have something against Syrians?
    I hope not!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2017
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.