Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should cigarettes be made illegal? watch

• View Poll Results: Should cigarettes be made illegal?
    Yes - ban them!
    64.17%
    No - keep on puffing...
    35.83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I suppose most of the time is correct, but then again, most of the time people should be sleeping or working.
    Really?

We aren't slaves. Although I'm sure Mr 'work like Chinese' Hunt would like that.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking in a car while a child is present is illegal under new government legislation. Not all against smoking but i think this is one of the best things they've probably done. If you want to suffer lung cancer would you like to see your child go through that? Yes smoking should be regulated, for example smoking away from Uni entrances and other public spaces may be beneficial to others but who's going to stand there and ask them to move?

ReputationRep:
    Ciggerrattes are disgusting, stink so bad, i often cross the road just to avoid the smell and if thts not possible i cover my mouth and noise and look the smoker in the eye to let him know. Smokers in public put themselves and other around them in danger hence why i fully support banning them in public. Even giving a fine to parents who smoke it around their kids.

BUT if someone wants to smoke it in THEIR private property it would be absurd for the government or anyone to prevent them from doing so

ReputationRep:
    I suppose most of the time is correct, but then again, most of the time people should be sleeping or working.
    I'm sure you can find some open space where (time you're not working or sleeping)\cap(time the open space has few people)\neq \emptyset. Otherwise, if smoking's that important to you, you could adjust your sleep schedule.
    Of course with the current laws you don't have to do any of that, but if you did have to, you could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    Nah, let smokers increase the risk of getting cancer.

Cigs act as a natural cleanser of the gene pool.

Nomsayian.
    Not in the way you imagine, I imagine.

Most smokers that die of smoking related diseases die reasonably after middle age. Plenty of time to raise children and pass on your genes. Same reason that obersity doesn't cleanse the gene pool etc.

Evolution 101

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    It spreads yes, if you had to actually stand inside the bus stop or in the same room as these people then you would have a point, but you don't, so you don't. The amount you are going to inhale outdoors and stood away from someone smoking is going to be the square root of **** all.

Hold your breath and walk in.
    In that case, I think you need yourself a little bubble to live your entire life in.
    Yes please, just because some people want to suffer from lung cancer later in life doesn't mean that they need to drag me down with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleming1928)
    Yes please, just because some people want to suffer from lung cancer later in life doesn't mean that they need to drag me down with them.
    Breathing in a small amount of smoke outside is unlikely to cause you long standing damage.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking- related cancers kill too slowly to be an effective means as population control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Breathing in a small amount of smoke outside is unlikely to cause you long standing damage.
    I have so many health problems already and feel as if anything, even minor, is just adding to those problems. I'm so paranoid

ReputationRep:
    Are you basing this off the raging success that the war on drugs has been?

ReputationRep:
    I have so many health problems already and feel as if anything, even minor, is just adding to those problems. I'm so paranoid
    Fair enough.

It can make you cough a bit but it's definately something you shouldn't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly it's their choice so unless their damaging others health, generally by being in enclosed areas I have no problem with it. I would also point out prohabition and the war on drugs have hardly been succesful and this would turn out the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    There should be more emphasis on hazards and the consequences of smoking cigarettes in education to rise awareness. Banning them doesn't resolve the problem.
    I mean is anybody not aware that smoking kills you? Every kid even as young as 11 knows this

Let people be free to make bad choices for themselves, its their body health and money they are throwing away.

If there was anything that needed education and awareness, its diet and educating rotund sloths who have no idea of the difference between a rich tea and a carrot other than "mm dat tast good"
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Really?

We aren't slaves. Although I'm sure Mr 'work like Chinese' Hunt would like that.
    Wait, so you're suggesting that people work and sleep for less than 12 hours combined? Not many people live on less than 4 hours a day of sleep,

Then you can find yourself such a bubble and stop complaining.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Another question: After the inevitable ban on smoking, whether absolute or effective, what will the whiners move on to next, after all, they need something to do, so which thing that they do not partake in and do not like will it be?

ReputationRep:
    What a depressing thread, yeah sure lets criminalise 10 million law abiding citizens and hand their money over to cartels. Absolutely ****ing psychotic.

ReputationRep:
    how loaded are the fukin options jesus christ

ReputationRep:
    People already know that it's bad for them and they still smoke. So if they still choose to smoke then I think it's up to them and if it was made illegal then I wonder what would happen to the money they make because of the tax for cigarettes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    I mean is anybody not aware that smoking kills you? Every kid even as young as 11 knows this

Let people be free to make bad choices for themselves, its their body health and money they are throwing away.

If there was anything that needed education and awareness, its diet and educating rotund sloths who have no idea of the difference between a rich tea and a carrot other than "mm dat tast good"
    That's true, and that was exactly my point although I think I should have elaborated on that.
    The fact that people choose to smoke cigarettes knowing that it would harm them is not because they chose to, but because they still have no genuine understanding of what smoking would do to them. People think just because they can smoke and still get on with their daily lives means that smoking is actually not that bad. This is what I meant by rising awareness but this is somewhat unrealistic given that we would need to be taught this early in education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    That's true, and that was exactly my point although I think I should have elaborated on that.
    The fact that people choose to smoke cigarettes knowing that it would harm them is not because they chose to, but because they still have no genuine understanding of what smoking would do to them. People think just because they can smoke and still get on with their daily lives means that smoking is actually not that bad. This is what I meant by rising awareness but this is somewhat unrealistic given that we would need to be taught this early in education.
    This is completely wrong

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.