Turn on thread page Beta

Last night I got called the 'N' word... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadly)
    Listen of all people, I REALLY don't want to talk to you but when you talk utter rubbish like "s**t stirring against the people who give you the quality of life you have" I can't help but reply to it because this is the biggest load of **** I have ever heard in the 18 years of my entire life after what that stupid self hating trash of a person somalilander said! I don't have a quality of life here, everyday I have to take being called a terrorist, a n***er and other stuff I really can't mention on this website everyday when I try to get education I am abused by the very teachers that are meant to teach me like in my country I would be free, happy, feel welcomed not like here when I am degraded at every street corner like PLEASE....I honestly agreed with what you said about the events from last week because that was absolutely disgusting but you let yourself down with what you said later on

Anyways feel free to reply I guess...
    I doubt it's everyday but people calling you a ****** and a terrorist are scum. Once again your teachers sound like *****. In your country you wouldn't be free your a woman. Women should be seen not heard, women aren't even aloud on the beaches of Somalia. they need to put up and shut up. I find what you said about the abuse you receive disgusting and while I do find it hard to believe if it is true I'm honestly sorry. But also your home country isn't a bed of roses either and you shouldn't lie to yourself about it being some sort of utopia, because it's far from it. Thank you for letting me understand, I rarely ever learn anything from my arguments on TSR. I'm sorry you feel this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKmas508)
    I doubt it's everyday but people calling you a n*gger and a terrorist are scum. Once again your teachers sound like c**ts. In your country you wouldn't be free your a woman. Women should be seen not heard, women aren't even aloud on the beaches of Somalia. they need to put up and shut up. I find what you said about the abuse you receive disgusting and while I do find it hard to believe if it is true I'm honestly sorry. But also your home country isn't a bed of roses either and you shouldn't lie to yourself about it being some sort of utopia, because it's far from it. Thank you for letting me understand, I rarely ever learn anything from my arguments on TSR. I'm sorry you feel this way.
    Thanks I guess, yes it might not exactly be a haven but women are free but we fight amongst each other it's an ongoing civil war, that's what i feel is so unsafe in Somalia but idk I guess I would feel loved and I have family there but the family here is important to me as well and that's a real reason why I am here in the UK, for the family and friends I have here life goes on it's frustrating but I'm me and I love it

and lol we are allowed on the beaches! In fact, a few years ago, 2012, I visited my country for the first time and had a blast on the beach on the last day yes people worry about their wives/daughters/sisters it's not safe because who knows when the next fight will occur but the women aren't oppressed at all lol I can promise you that I'm witness to it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by pbw)
    you understood and cried at 6 or 7? but your brother of 8 doesn't really understand?
    my brother has speech delay, hence he has difficulty speaking and forming sentences even at this age, so naturally he isnt a very complex thinker. topics like racism isnt clear in his mind yet, he's still like a baby, he only cries when he's hurt physically or when his friends make him feel left out and all those toddler stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadly)
    Thanks I guess, yes it might not exactly be a haven but women are free but we fight amongst each other it's an ongoing civil war, that's what i feel is so unsafe in Somalia but idk I guess I would feel loved and I have family there but the family here is important to me as well and that's a real reason why I am here in the UK, for the family and friends I have here life goes on it's frustrating but I'm me and I love it

and lol we are allowed on the beaches! In fact, a few years ago, 2012, I visited my country for the first time and had a blast on the beach on the last day yes people worry about their wives/daughters/sisters it's not safe because who knows when the next fight will occur but the women aren't oppressed at all lol I can promise you that I'm witness to it.
    Right well it's good that we wrapped this up nicely and were civil in the end. Goodbye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKmas508)
    Right well it's good that we wrapped this up nicely and were civil in the end. Goodbye
    Bye have a good holiday xx

ReputationRep:
    When you get outside the major cities in the UK you realise these British Caucasians infamous for colonialist history don't like outsiders in their country.

That said, I experienced racism growing up in London too. So I guess no one is ever really isolated from it.

ReputationRep:
    I used get called the N word all the time in secondary school. I haven't at university though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Cat)
    I agree with your point on this I personally wouldn't let myself get rattled because of a couple of comments from an ignorant person shouting from their car. Not to say that I tolerate point blank racism.
    Have you ever been called a ****** in person?

What's with everyone's attitude as if it's weird of me to be bothered by being called a racist word? Call me a ****, a ********, any other insult and I really wouldn't care. But a racist comment isn't something I'd just brush off.

ReputationRep:
    That's rough, Novascope; I'm sorry that you experienced that.

Anecdotally I would say that, having spent a lot of time in both London and the west-country, the west-country certainly has a higher percentage of prejudiced people. However, the vast majority of Cornish and Devon folk are genuinely really nice people. Of course you have every right to be both hurt and angry and I know it's much easier said than done, but try not to let this experience, as ****ty as it is, taint your opinion of the people from one of the most beautiful parts of the country.

(Original post by Novascope)

What's with everyone's attitude as if it's weird of me to be bothered by being called a racist word? Call me a ****, a ********, any other insult and I really wouldn't care. But a racist comment isn't something I'd just brush off.
    To answer your first question no I have not.

I can see where you're coming from you just don't simply brush off racist remarks, but I don't see the point of this thread sometimes you just have to keep things to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Damn was this Falmouth uni by any chance? Moved here a month ago and I'm shocked at how 'behind' everyone is with racism, homophobia and general hostility. Many of the main shops AND supermarkets openly support UKIP and display the posters everywhere.

Locals seem to be nice generally but we've already had threats of assault just for existing. One night a group of lads nearly jumped us for no reason just for being students on a night out. Seems like some idiots down here are looking for any reason to cause trouble :/

Shame for such a lovely county too.

ReputationRep:

Looking at the situation what more can you do? It's not like you got the guy's license plate or recorded the incident. There's no point lamenting over what happened tbh. It would be alot different if you were racially abused by someone at the Uni or by someone who has to summit to kind of authority eg an employee where you'd have the opportunity to report it and definitely get something done about it. Heck if you had posted his picture and your story to social media there a good chance he might get tracked down

Yeah people will be racist, unless you can do something about it directly there no real point kicking up a massive fuss. You're better off using this bad experience as motivation to make something out of your life. That's the only real way to hit back at random racism.

If I was racially abused I'd start recording it post it to social media and let the witch hunt begin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Cat)
    To answer your first question no I have not.

I can see where you're coming from you just don't simply brush off racist remarks, but I don't see the point of this thread sometimes you just have to keep things to yourself.
    You don't see the point in my thread? Well clearly you didn't bother reading it because the point was clearly made. I'm sorry but it's ignorant to tell someone to keep racist situations to yourself. No better than telling someone to get over racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Looking at the situation what more can you do? It's not like you got the guy's license plate or recorded the incident. There's no point lamenting over what happened tbh. It would be alot different if you were racially abused by someone at the Uni or by someone who has to summit to kind of authority eg an employee where you'd have the opportunity to report it and definitely get something done about it. Heck if you had posted his picture and your story to social media there a good chance he might get tracked down

Yeah people will be racist, unless you can do something about it directly there no real point kicking up a massive fuss. You're better off using this bad experience as motivation to make something out of your life. That's the only real way to hit back at random racism.
    Omg doesn't anyone read on this site? My purpose wasn't to bring him to justice. I'm not stupid, I know talking isn't going to get him punished. My point was CLEARLY made. I made this thread because I just simply wanted to know if other students had experienced any racism whilst at uni. Jeez. I'm so shocked at how people are acting like me talking about this is a bloody problem. Creating a thread to discuss situations is not kicking up a fuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliendays)
    Damn was this Falmouth uni by any chance? Moved here a month ago and I'm shocked at how 'behind' everyone is with racism, homophobia and general hostility. Many of the main shops AND supermarkets openly support UKIP and display the posters everywhere.

Locals seem to be nice generally but we've already had threats of assault just for existing. One night a group of lads nearly jumped us for no reason just for being students on a night out. Seems like some idiots down here are looking for any reason to cause trouble :/

Shame for such a lovely county too.
    Yeah I go to Falmouth haha.

It's such a shame because I have many friends who've experienced racism down here. When I first moved in I thought everyone here was so lovely and reserved.

I'm also shocked at how crazy the locals can be. Like last night I was out and a group of them randomly started a fight with a student. A lot seem to not like us students, probably due to the stereotypes but I find it hilarious how most of the locals act worse than the students lol

ReputationRep:
    Omg doesn't anyone read on this site? My purpose wasn't to bring him to justice. I'm not stupid, I know talking isn't going to get him punished. My point was CLEARLY made. I made this thread because I just simply wanted to know if other students had experienced any racism whilst at uni. Jeez. I'm so shocked at how people are acting like me talking about this is a bloody problem. Creating a thread to discuss situations is not kicking up a fuss.
    My post was in response to the post below. You asked the question

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM.

I'm sorry to hear that happened. I understand how mad you are now when you look back on it, but tbh you cannot lower yourself down to the same standards and racist people. I struggle so much with not getting too angry, when I see racist things on the internet or in person, but when people don't understand why your mad or even try to tell you you're wrong for being mad it makes you want to get even more angrier...
    Don't be.. Being bitter about it now won't change anything. I suppose all I can do now is make sure if this happens in the future I'm able to take action against it appropriately and I was just trying to show you what you can expect from these dumb pathetic idiots X)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.