Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I study Dentistry - Ask me anything (AMA) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAWK)
    Might sound a bit stupid but what's the best way of using Mouthwash?
    Generally speaking I recommend my patients use it after eating during the day IF they wish to use it. The reason for this is that it not only freshens your breath but also washes away food debris and provides a nice influx of fluoride which prevents the acids from food and bacteria demineralising your enamel.

I advise patient not to use it after brushing, the reason for this is that mouthwash whilst useful because of the fluoride content is not a packed full of fluoride as toothpaste, the best thing to do when brushing your teeth is to spit but not rinse, this way the fluoride from the toothpaste exhibits it's optimal effect.

I'd recommend any alcohol free fluoride mouthwash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kartace)
    I wonder why you are asking specifically about organic chemistry?

There are definitely element of organic chemistry in the course. For example in first year there is a fair emphasis on Biochemical processes etc. which involve organic chemistry and of course anything involving sugars is in effect organic chemistry, there is also a small amount of organic chemistry in dental materials although the vast majority is inorganic chemistry.

Also the way in which you experience chemistry will be very different from A level, for example it's much more about appreciating the overall concepts and reactions than being able to recall and demonstrate the mechanisms and reagents/products etc. of any given organic/inorganic chemical reaction. I've only had to use skeletal formula about twice in my entire degree, dentistry just isn't about that aspect of science.

As for other things that are covered in Dentistry from A level i suppose it depends largely upon what subjects you've studied. There are certainly elements of both chemistry and definitely biology but there are also relevant concepts that are from physics etc. They are built on during the first year mainly when you cover the basic clinical sciences, pharmacology, anatomy, physiology and biochemistry etc. Although the workload is much higher and the detail much greater and more focused on the human body. Things like glycolysis and the krebs cycles etc. are possible examples of things that you might have covered at A level which are also covered in a BDS.

Doe that answer your question?
    Yeah, thanx!

ReputationRep:
    Is flossing teeth harshly cause damage especially when you have fillings between your teeth?

ReputationRep:
    What made you choose Barts and not your other offers?
    Any piece of advice to people who want to apply for Dentistry?
    Would you say the course is harder than A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    Is flossing teeth harshly cause damage especially when you have fillings between your teeth?
    Flossing teeth harshly is never a good move. However, I don't think the presence of fillings really has any impact upon this. The harsh flossing might traumatise the gums and potentially cause them to recede.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tmifan)
    What made you choose Barts and not your other offers?
    Any piece of advice to people who want to apply for Dentistry?
    Would you say the course is harder than A-Levels?
    Well it was down to the fact that it was in London which was somewhere really cosmopolitan and interesting and a place i enjoyed the idea of living. The course was a brand new curriculum and they were building a brand new hospital (Which is lush) Barts always does well in the rankings and the interviewers and students i met were all really friendly.

My advice would be, do your homework. When you're on work experience, ask questions and make sure you understand what it means to be a dentist. The thing that will get you noticed at an interview is having a thorough appreciation of the pros and cons of dentistry and the qualities needed. Other than that, just make sure dentistry is really what you want to do. It's a long course and an even longer career if you find out you actually don't fancy it.

And yes, it's significantly harder than A levels in every imaginable way. Get ready for complex concepts and a work load that you never could have imagined! Having said that it's amazing, there is no other course quite like it and i think i have the best time studying because of trust and responsibility that we are afforded. No other degree lets you get as hands on with patients so early!

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I'm a first year dental student withe exams coming up but currently I'm struggling to cover all the content!
    I go over my lecture notes alongside my textbooks to clarify my understanding or add little extra bits of knowledge.
    But the process takes a long time to do!

In order to remember the information I'm inputting my notes into a flashcard website, with the hope that I will have enough time to review them a few times before the exams.
    However at the moment I'm worried I will not get to reviewing everything in time!

Some people have recommended that I get some crammer/revision guides.
    However I've been struggling to find these resources/recommendations from people who do Dentistry!

I know you are a lot further into your course than me but I would be very grateful for any tips!

Can I ask how you undertook your revision?
    & If you could recommend any websites/study guides/books/apps etc?

Thank you

PS Thanks for starting this thread, it is in interesting read!

ReputationRep:
    Gcse's- 2A*'s, 2 A's, 2 B's and 2 C ' s (C is in english Lanuage)
    A-levels - 3 A's predicted
    I have about 3 years worth of work experience in a hospital, care home, charity work etc.
    Do I have a chance of being accepted anywhere for dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It may all be different now ... remember i was interviewed about 5 years ago!

Although... Compared to Barts the facilities at Liverpool are....interesting...
    Out of curiosity, what did you find 'interesting' about Liverpool's facilities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V95)
    Out of curiosity, what did you find 'interesting' about Liverpool's facilities?
    Liverpool as a city is lovely, I've always enjoyed my times there and a lot of the Halls of residence are really nice too, unlike the one i had at Barts in first year!

However, the dental hospital itself is just a bit run down, nothing particularly wrong with it, although the seminar rooms have seen better days. It's basically just wear and tear in an ugly old building that's been around for 50 or so years. The old hospital in Barts, which i worked in briefly was exactly the same. It's still a perfectly good dental school and I know the students there really enjoy it and the social life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basit282828)
    Gcse's- 2A*'s, 2 A's, 2 B's and 2 C ' s (C is in english Lanuage)
    A-levels - 3 A's predicted
    I have about 3 years worth of work experience in a hospital, care home, charity work etc.
    Do I have a chance of being accepted anywhere for dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really what this thread is about I'm afraid, If you meet the requirements and have a good personal statement/ UKCAT score and then go on to have a good interview - You'll be ok.

I'm afraid I can't give you any more detail that that. Sorry!

PS: I hope you have some general practice dental work experience too, that's generally more relevant to the course you're looking at.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm new on TSR so I dont even know where this message is going so sorry if its irrelevant to you.
    I have just started my AS levels and I'm studying Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, English Lang/Lit. I really want to go onto university to study Dentistry, it has really fascinated me while gaining work experience at a dental practice.
    The only thing thats holding me back from having a definite mindset for Dentistry is basically my GCSE grades. I am aware of how competitive Dentistry and Medicine are which is what scares me because if I go for either and get let down just because of my GCSE's then all the UKCAT and BMAT preparation will be useless, as well as the money my dad is spending on my private tutors.
    Has anyone with similar GCSE's got an offer for dentistry or medicine?
    Also, please let me know what you think about having a mindset for dentistry or not, knowing my GCSE grades!
    My GCSE's- (4A's 5B's 1C) chem- A bio- A phys- B eng lang- B eng lit- A maths- B french- C business- B media- B re- A
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm starting a graduate dentistry course in September and would like to get some reading done beforehand. Could you recommend any text books that you couldn't have lived without during your first year that would be good to get me started? I'm finishing my PhD in March so will have a lot more spare time on my hands!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Do you get to have clinical experience/ patient contact in the first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi i am new commer to usa i am a us citizen but i lived in kuwait (middle east ) for my entire life and now i am 18 years old and i need some one to approach me/ advice me on how can i start my dentistry path. i do like dentistry but i donot know how to start studying in us. some people told me to study in a university as a pre-dentistry and others told me to join a college but still i did not get the idea on what is the difference between the two so please if some one could help me i do appreciate it this. please contact me at any time

ReputationRep:
    Hello! This thread is vey helpful!
    Do you have any tips on the application process?

ReputationRep:
    As the title says - ask anything you like!
    What did you do to prepare for your interview? And books/articles you read or journals you kept up to date with? What did you write about in your personal statement? What did they ask you in your interview? What grades did you need to get in, and what offer did they give you?

Sorry about all the questions, I am hoping to apply soon and FREAKING OUT. Can you tell?!

ReputationRep:
    There is a dentistry online course run by Sheffield uni that is free that my daughter did.

ReputationRep:
    It may all be different now ... remember i was interviewed about 5 years ago!

Although... Compared to Barts the facilities at Liverpool are....interesting...
    Savage 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redhelen)
    There is a dentistry online course run by Sheffield uni that is free that my daughter did.
    Yeah I did that too. Really detailed online course. It was actually quote motivating.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.