Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who's been to the states? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    I wouldn't go to the US because I would be afraid of being shot. I've heard at least 5 cases in the news over the last 6 months of psychopaths going on murderous killing sprees in universities and other places. Until you change your gun laws, I am never going to the US.
    Yeah, tell me about it. I'm afraid to go to school here in Texas because of that new campus carry law.

But it's not the whole US that's dangerous. Some states are safer than others. You have to be careful to check on the crime rates before you go anywhere. Those killing sprees usually happen in places where the gun culture is stronger, and where the gun laws are weakest. Some people will claim that giving more people guns so they can shoot the criminals with guns is an answer, but the evidence doesn't bear that out... even in Oregon, the courts forced them to allow guns on campus, and then people got shot.

If it wasn't for that Second Amendment, a lot of states would have banned the things already. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grvcex97)
    San Francisco is amazing. If you like a mix of the city life with outdoorsy-pacific northwest stuff, then it's the best place for that (along with Seattle). It's not as busy as NYC or LA
    I live out in the east bay and I don't understand at all why people like San Francisco so much. I can't wait until next year when I'm living at uni in the UK

ReputationRep:
    Just curious.. who here has visited the U.S.?
    Where did you go and what for? Did you enjoy it?
    Anybody have yet to and want to visit America?
    I went to the states in 2010. I did a round the world trip after uni. I went to New York, Boston, Baltimore, Washington DC, Chicago, then over to LA, San diego, San francisco, Las Vegas, and a few national parks on the west coast. Then I went to "the big island", kauai, and oahu (3 hawaiian islands).

My favourite city was San Francisco. My favourite place was "Nepali Point" on Kauai.

My least favourite place was New York City. It was the biggest dump and full of the rudest people. They make Londoners look like saints! LA is also the biggest pile of crap ever. Too much traffic, too many homeless people - the only 'nice' bit is the hollywood area but it's really tacky and fake. It feels like a very disjointed city.

AMA about my trip if you like

ReputationRep:
    Been a few times, vermont (skiing), virginia, florida, NYCx2, sanfransico, colorado (skiing) LA(work), boston, chicargo.

I like the states, NYC and sanfraciso are my fav places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nfthakar)
    I live out in the east bay and I don't understand at all why people like San Francisco so much. I can't wait until next year when I'm living at uni in the UK
    It's all preference. Some people love it, some hate it. Can't deny, though, that its a big tourist city that a lot of people love. Same with London - my aunt who's been living there for a while doesn't like the city, but I can still see why people love it. Where are you studying? And is it for a degree? or just on a studying abroad program?

ReputationRep:
    oops i just realised you're american OP. Apologies with my rambling post earlier!

ReputationRep:
    Yesss, finally someone who's going to Seattle! It is one of my favorite places ever. Make sure you not only go into the city, but go out into the forest and nature-y stuff to get the full PNW experience. Hope you have fun!
    Definitely! Anything you'd recommend in particular in Seattle itself?

The plan for the trip is to get a car and go Vancouver -> Rockies -> Yellowstone -> Seattle -> Vancouver, with all the nature-y bits in between (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Definitely! Anything you'd recommend in particular in Seattle itself?

The plan for the trip is to get a car and go Vancouver -> Rockies -> Yellowstone -> Seattle -> Vancouver, with all the nature-y bits in between (:
    lol your name?

Anybody been to Yellowstone/Yosemite/Lake Shasta? Worth it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    lol your name?

Anybody been to Yellowstone/Yosemite/Lake Shasta? Worth it?
    Been to Yosemite and personally I loved it! But it's all about what you're into and how you experience it - because I know people who've been to Yosemite and absolutely despised it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    I went to the states in 2010. I did a round the world trip after uni. I went to New York, Boston, Baltimore, Washington DC, Chicago, then over to LA, San diego, San francisco, Las Vegas, and a few national parks on the west coast. Then I went to "the big island", kauai, and oahu (3 hawaiian islands).

My favourite city was San Francisco. My favourite place was "Nepali Point" on Kauai.

My least favourite place was New York City. It was the biggest dump and full of the rudest people. They make Londoners look like saints! LA is also the biggest pile of crap ever. Too much traffic, too many homeless people - the only 'nice' bit is the hollywood area but it's really tacky and fake. It feels like a very disjointed city.

AMA about my trip if you like
    Ahhh I'm so glad your favorite city was San Francisco! And that's cool you went island-hopping. You've been to more Hawaiian islands than I have haha

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I'm so glad your favorite city was San Francisco! And that's cool you went island-hopping. You've been to more Hawaiian islands than I have haha
    Why? Are you from San Fran? I hate NYC so much! Worst city on Earth!

ReputationRep:
    <---- *Tries to restrain himself*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    <---- *Tries to restrain himself*
    It was! people wouldn't help me on the subway when I was lost. They thought I was a terrorist or something. Also first thing that happens to me when I land at JFK is I get my luggage searched and so does the white guy standing next to me! NYC is a pile of crap and I never want to go there again! It's fully or racists and moody sods, not to mention that awful accent they have :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    It was! people wouldn't help me on the subway when I was lost. They thought I was a terrorist or something. Also first thing that happens to me when I land at JFK is I get my luggage searched and so does the white guy standing next to me! NYC is a pile of crap and I never want to go there again! It's fully or racists and moody sods, not to mention that awful accent they have :lolwut:
    Those are all to do with the people :/ I like the city itself.. food, buildings, just the lifestyle appeals to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Those are all to do with the people :/ I like the city itself.. food, buildings, just the lifestyle appeals to me
    London is way better in my opinion - Even DC is better than NYC. Nicer museums too!

ReputationRep:
    London is way better in my opinion - Even DC is better than NYC. Nicer museums too!
    I loved the Smithsonian!

ReputationRep:
    It's all preference. Some people love it, some hate it. Can't deny, though, that its a big tourist city that a lot of people love. Same with London - my aunt who's been living there for a while doesn't like the city, but I can still see why people love it. Where are you studying? And is it for a degree? or just on a studying abroad program?
    Ive applied to Warwick, Manchester, Edinburgh, Newcastle, and Durham to study business. So far I've been accepted to Durham. Honestly I've been trying to find things other than in n out that I'll miss and its a pretty short list.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Been to the States twice. Places I've visited have all been west coast: Seattle, LA, San Francisco are the major cities.

Adored it, especially San Francisco, where I would move in a heartbeat if I could. As for the future, I love the US so I have so many places I'd like to explore, Louisiana, New York, Philly, Wisconsin, Texas, Portland. Oh and a return to San Francisco of course

ReputationRep:
    no one cares that youre from the states, typical american

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am. I don't have a liking to NYC either

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.