Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Mjourn)
    Hi! I would like to know how many places there are for the MA in International Multimedia Journalism at Newcastle, and if the application deadline of 1 June 2016 and deposit deadline, means that the answers will be sent soon.

Thanks!
    Hi

I asked the admissions assistant for MA International Multimedia Journalism and received the following reply:

There are only 28 places available every year and we have had well over 200 applications. So far I have 25 applicants who have paid so we will be requesting to close thea pplications quite soon, then withdrawing offers that have been made but not secured by paying the £1500 deposit in time.

Hope that helps!

Persephone

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I just accepted my place for a postgrad in Cross Cultural Communications and Media Studies, but I don't qualify for university accommodation as my offer is still conditional until I finish my BA thesis (and frankly I'd rather live in private housing anyway, so it's all good). I was just wondering what the best place to find private accommodation/flatshares is? I live in another country, so I can't just come to Newcastle for showings, but I'm a bit worried about getting scammed if I just pay a deposit without looking at a place. I've looked at spareroom.co.uk and some other sites and letting agencies seem to be a lot more popular than they are where I live?? Are they trustworthy or is it just unnecessary fees? I also don't have a UK based guarantor, which a lot of people seem to require. Is there a casual website where students just advertise flatshares to other students?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by chamandee)
    Hey! I just accepted my place for a postgrad in Cross Cultural Communications and Media Studies, but I don't qualify for university accommodation as my offer is still conditional until I finish my BA thesis (and frankly I'd rather live in private housing anyway, so it's all good). I was just wondering what the best place to find private accommodation/flatshares is? I live in another country, so I can't just come to Newcastle for showings, but I'm a bit worried about getting scammed if I just pay a deposit without looking at a place. I've looked at spareroom.co.uk and some other sites and letting agencies seem to be a lot more popular than they are where I live?? Are they trustworthy or is it just unnecessary fees? I also don't have a UK based guarantor, which a lot of people seem to require. Is there a casual website where students just advertise flatshares to other students?
    Hi,

You might want to have a look at NUStudentHomes

They usually work with groups of students but they sometimes have spaces for individuals too.

The Students' Union also has some Housing Advice on their website and you can contact them for help

All the best,

Persephone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newcastle University)
    Hi,

You might want to have a look at NUStudentHomes

They usually work with groups of students but they sometimes have spaces for individuals too.

The Students' Union also has some Housing Advice on their website and you can contact them for help

All the best,

Persephone
    Thank you! (And cool name btw)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

What's the BA Hons Urban planning degree timetable like? Also, how do people find the course?

Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by amingo26)
    Hi,

What's the BA Hons Urban planning degree timetable like? Also, how do people find the course?

Thank you
    Hi,

I wasn't able to access the timetable information but if you click through to the modules page for K421 each module page gives you information about the number of hours in lectures, seminars, etc.

Here is some info on student satisfaction with the course http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjec...-objid51505791 plus we have an Architectural Society who probably have some members on Urban Planning who could answer some questions

All the best

Persephone

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was just wondering how many spaces there are on the Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies course and roughly how many people get offers. Am I likely to still get in if I miss my place by 1 grade?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by emmalou98)
    Hi,
    I was just wondering how many spaces there are on the Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies course and roughly how many people get offers. Am I likely to still get in if I miss my place by 1 grade?
    Hi,

The School of Modern Languages has a target of 150 places across all of their degrees, they don't have a set number of spaces per course. This year they've had 1,029 applications.

All applicants who narrowly miss the conditions of their offer are reconsidered again together when the results are published in August. Whether we are able to accept near miss students depends on the number of applicants who have met the conditions of their offers and the number of places we have available on our programmes; however preference is given to those who have committed to us as their firm choice.

Hope that was useful

Persephone

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering how popular the philosophy course is and how competitive it is to get a place?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ellenio)
    Hi, I was just wondering how popular the philosophy course is and how competitive it is to get a place?
    Hi,

There's a target of 40 places for Philosophy BA and this year they've had about 270 applications.

Hope that helps!

Persephone

ReputationRep:
    My mum bought me a coffee machine to use when I get to uni, and I was wondering if you could tell me what the rules are for having appliances in individual bedrooms?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Alex_NG_98)
    My mum bought me a coffee machine to use when I get to uni, and I was wondering if you could tell me what the rules are for having appliances in individual bedrooms?
    Hi Alex,

Here's the general info from the most recent Accommodation Terms and Conditions. (I think an updated booklet will be available soon, but I doubt this section will change much if at all).

New equipment is installed and existing equipment maintained to Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEE) Regulations. Lighting is provided in accordance with Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) recommendations.In study-bedrooms lighting levels may be achieved by the use of a desk lamp.

The electrical supply consists of 13 amp square pin sockets. However, some study-bedroom sockets may be fused to a lower amp than usual and may only be suitable for appliances that are rated 1000 watts or less. Therefore, to prevent overloading the system and cutting off your electricity supply, you should not use any high power appliances, eg additional heating, kettles,toasters and irons, within your study-bedroom.

University-provided portable appliances are tested and maintained in accordance with our ‘Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) Policy’.A copy of our policy is available at www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/current/terms

Your personal electrical equipment to BSS and IEE regulations. Our PAT Policy outlines how, for your own personal safety,we will remove personal electrical equipment if there is risk of fire or electrocution.
    Hope that helps

Persephone

ReputationRep:
    Hi, do you have a sample timetable for Politics? How many applicants there are usually and how many places?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Valnur)
    Hi, do you have a sample timetable for Politics? How many applicants there are usually and how many places?
    Hi,You have a lot of optional modules in Politics so your timetable will vary depending on which ones you're taking

The Admissions Assistant for Politics is away at the moment so I wasn't able to get up to date info about applicant numbers. However, according to the WhatUni site there were 399 offers made last year.

Hope that helps!

Persephone

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!! May I ask you how international is the Newcastle University? I mean the percentages of UK-EU-International students, studying there!

Thnx
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by teratoulis)
    Hi there!! May I ask you how international is the Newcastle University? I mean the percentages of UK-EU-International students, studying there!

Thnx
    Hi

We have thousands of International students at Newcastle. For the 2015/16 academic year there were over 5,000 overseas (not UK or EU) students. There's a more detailed breakdown of figures here.

If you include EU students the number is even higher, but they're not separated out from UK students in the link above. However, the International Office has a list of information by country which includes specific figures (eg the Germany country page says we have over 160 German students).

There are plenty of societies for students of various cultures/nationalities at our Students' Union as well

Hope that helps!

Persephone

ReputationRep:
    thank you that is quite helpful!
    regards

ReputationRep:
    If you sign up for say a 36 week contract in newcastle halls will you have to move your stuff out during the holidays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newcastle University)
    Hey

No, accommodation at Newcastle is NOT allocated on a first come, first served basis. As long as you apply before the 30 June deadline (and fulfill the other relevant criteria) you will come under the New Students' Guarantee. Room allocation is done randomly to try and make it as fair as possible. There's information about the room allocation procedure here.

The Accommodation Service also help with room swaps so if you're really not happy with the room you're allocated it might be possible to switch with another student Once allocations start going out the Accommodation Service will have a Facebook page up to help connect people who want to swap.

All the best,

Persephone
    Hi,

When will accommodation for this year be sorted? I applied a while ago and am yet to hear from NCL.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    Hi,

When will accommodation for this year be sorted? I applied a while ago and am yet to hear from NCL.
    Hi,

Sorry for the wait! I asked Accommodation Services about this yesterday and they said there was a delay with some contracts which needed to be finalised before they could start sending offers. Accommodation for UF students should be processed over the next couple of weeks. CF students usually hear just after Results Day.

All the best,

Persephone

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 19, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.