Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you consider yourself a feminist? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself a feminist?
    Yes, I support feminism and wear the label proudly
    32.96%
    Only in the sense that I support equal rights for men and women, but I prefer to call myself an "egalitarian"
    54.75%
    No, I believe in traditional gender roles
    12.29%

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Me too ✌✌

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Jickleson)
    Hell to the NO. Women have their place in society.
    Wow. We've got an intelligent, original one here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    And that place is equal to men. (Other non-binary genders are also equal to men and women.)
    Your opinion is exactly like mine. Intersectional feminism 5evaaaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask why SJW intersectional feminists have no interest in holding scientifically supported views when it comes to gender identity, the relationship between sex and gender, and the existence of secondary and tertiary genders? I'm not one of the people who tells people that they 'can't' identify as what they want to identify as - I'm speaking from a biological perspective here.
    Traditional masculinity and femininity might be very restrictive, but actual, neurological masculinity and femininity can be shown to be pretty much set by hormone production and receptor acceptance rather than anything else.

For instance, women with pseudo-hermaphroditism are genetically male, with XY chromosomes - but hormonally, neurologically and physiologically female (with the exception of the possession of internalised testes in place of ovaries).

Neurologically, there have been no secondary gender differences found - all men and all women possess masculine or female neurological traits, but the way these interact with and influence our personalities vary. Just because someone is neurologically masculine or feminine does not mean they need to conform to traditional masculinity or femininity.

A male to female transsexual person, even with hormone treatment, is never going to have a female neurology - but if they want to identify as female, that's fine - I just dispute the scientific validity of the claim that they have 'become' female in -anything- other than identity.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ravish...b_6494820.html

The findings of the study in the following paper do not necessarily match the headline or the conclusions reached in the article. The data shows that there is more similarity between cis men and trans women (who have the same original physiological sex) than between cis men and trans men.

What the data suggests is that masculinity and femininity are not 'ends' of a spectrum but 'spheres'. A person who does not fully conform to traditional masculinity but is physiologically, hormonally and neurologically within the masculine sphere neurologically is -still- masculine - but all people show neurological variance. All women vary, and all men vary. That doesn't mean they cease to be men and women by that variance. Applying this logic means that there -are- no men and women, which is nonsensical, because hormones, genetics and physiology say otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuros...ex_differences
    Some basic resources available here to anyone else interested in this as a scientific field and not another PC SJW campaign.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, 'cause it pisses so many people off.

ReputationRep:
    If only "feminism" was about actual equality and not special privileges, legal biases, double standards, and playing victim. Until "feminists" at large start acknowledging that social injustice doesn't revolve around women, and that women are actually better-off in a lot of ways, maybe then people won't roll their eyes when the meaningless platitude "I'm a feminist because I believe in equality!" is smugly espoused. The ironic sexist bias is just too much of a problem, I'm afraid.

Furthermore, when "feminists" stop perpetuating the bogus wage gap, rape hysteria, and the most first-worldliest of gender 'issues' like man spreading and sexist air conditioning, I'll have more respect for them.

Also I think the website everydayfeminism.com, a 'moderate' site, serves as one of the best examples of how obnoxiously insane and self-righteous these feminists can really be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan_Ahmed)
    Can I ask why SJW intersectional feminists have no interest in holding scientifically supported views when it comes to gender identity, the relationship between sex and gender, and the existence of secondary and tertiary genders? I'm not one of the people who tells people that they 'can't' identify as what they want to identify as - I'm speaking from a biological perspective here.
    Traditional masculinity and femininity might be very restrictive, but actual, neurological masculinity and femininity can be shown to be pretty much set by hormone production and receptor acceptance rather than anything else.

For instance, women with pseudo-hermaphroditism are genetically male, with XY chromosomes - but hormonally, neurologically and physiologically female (with the exception of the possession of internalised testes in place of ovaries).

Neurologically, there have been no secondary gender differences found - all men and all women possess masculine or female neurological traits, but the way these interact with and influence our personalities vary. Just because someone is neurologically masculine or feminine does not mean they need to conform to traditional masculinity or femininity.

A male to female transsexual person, even with hormone treatment, is never going to have a female neurology - but if they want to identify as female, that's fine - I just dispute the scientific validity of the claim that they have 'become' female in -anything- other than identity.
    So what you're saying is that when you measure biological markers related to sex they correlate with people's biological sex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Furthermore, when "feminists" stop perpetuating the bogus wage gap,
    I too hate it when economists talk about economics.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ravish...b_6494820.html

The findings of the study in the following paper do not necessarily match the headline or the conclusions reached in the article. The data shows that there is more similarity between cis men and trans women (who have the same original physiological sex) than between cis men and trans men.

What the data suggests is that masculinity and femininity are not 'ends' of a spectrum but 'spheres'. A person who does not fully conform to traditional masculinity but is physiologically, hormonally and neurologically within the masculine sphere neurologically is -still- masculine - but all people show neurological variance. All women vary, and all men vary. That doesn't mean they cease to be men and women by that variance. Applying this logic means that there -are- no men and women, which is nonsensical, because hormones, genetics and physiology say otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuros...ex_differences
    Some basic resources available here to anyone else interested in this as a scientific field and not another PC SJW campaign.
    I think one of the biggest contradictions that SJWs make now is that they say that someone can be born with a different gender to their biological sex, and yet at the same time they claim that gender is entirely a social construct.

I'm afraid I don't believe that you can be born the wrong sex, nor is gender a social construct (it's evolutionary, like the basis of all human behaviour). However, I have nothing against transgenderism. If a woman feels like she wants to be a considered a man then I'll happily go along with it. They're not hurting anyone and if it makes them feel more comfortable then that's great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    I think one of the biggest contradictions that SJWs make now is that they say that someone can be born with a different gender to their biological sex, and yet at the same time they claim that gender is entirely a social construct.

I'm afraid I don't believe that you can be born the wrong sex, nor is gender a social construct (it's evolutionary, like the basis of all human behaviour). However, I have nothing against transgenderism. If a woman feels like she wants to be a considered a man then I'll happily go along with it. They're not hurting anyone and if it makes them feel more comfortable then that's great.
    Exactly how I feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    So what you're saying is that when you measure biological markers related to sex they correlate with people's biological sex?

No... *facepalm.* I'm saying that from a scientific perspective, biological sex and gender are tied and inseparable.

ReputationRep:
    No... *facepalm.* I'm saying that from a scientific perspective, biological sex and gender are tied and inseparable.
    Well the current research indicates gender reassignment as treatment for extreme gender dysphoria so that's flat out wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Well the current research indicates gender reassignment as treatment for extreme gender dysphoria so that's flat out wrong.
    Research cannot indicate a treatment. That's not how it works. Research can suggest that such a reassignment might help a person with gender dysphoria be more comfortable. It doesn't mean that the neurological, actual nature of mental gender doesn't remain the same, despite the hormones they might pump into themselves or the physiological changes they choose to undergo.

ReputationRep:
    Research cannot indicate a treatment. That's not how it works. Research can suggest that such a reassignment might help a person with gender dysphoria be more comfortable. It doesn't mean that the neurological, actual nature of mental gender doesn't remain the same, despite the hormones they might pump into themselves or the physiological changes they choose to undergo.
    What the actual **** are you blabbering about?

ReputationRep:
    It is impossible to be neurologically feminine with a male physiology. Neurological gender is -actual- gender. Anything else is just how someone feels, and I have no problem with people calling themselves what ever makes them comfortable or undergoing hormonal and/or physiological changes to aid that.

ReputationRep:
    What the actual **** are you blabbering about?
    You're probably out of your depth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    You're probably out of your depth.
    lol

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    ..and voted the 2nd option..

Spoiler:
    Show
    ..yet still consider myself something of a feminist :beard:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.