Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

greatest british person ever watch

• View Poll Results: who was the greatest Britain ever?
    Results hidden until poll closes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    James Bond was an American ornithologist.
    true but that's not the guy I'm referring too.

ReputationRep:
    OP when you say Arthur you didn't mean Alfred The Great did you? I ask because he actually existed and was actually great.

Also where's the love for Elizabeth l? Merking the Spanish Armada when Spain were the most powerful country at the time?

Unfortunately also noticing quite a few people going the hipster view of Churchill not being great. Just contrarian hipster nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_law)
    I wonder what Mohammed would think of "William it was really nothing".
    I just like him for his literary talents and wit.

ReputationRep:
    George Orwell

ReputationRep:
    Darwin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    In a "greatest british person ever" thread? No. Go away.
    i started a international thread separately.

ReputationRep:
    Why the frick is jrr tolkien not on there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    who was the greatest Briton ever?

EDIT: if your greatest Briton ever is not on the poll, just post a reply with your persons name, I will compile the results when the poll closes.
    Why was James Bond in the poll? He isn't even real

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Why was James Bond in the poll? He isn't even real
    he is meant to represent the guy who was real but is protected by the official secrets act, so we cant say who he was. (but he was much like James bond, so i substituted)
    take into account here that the James Bond author was a MI6 spy-master, and he just cribbed off some guy he knew.

ReputationRep:
    So no, Brunel, Newton, Faraday, Wiles, John Churchill 1st Duke of Marlborough, Nelson, Darwin, AG Bell, Berners-Lee, Dirac, J Clerk Maxwell, Turing, Babbage, Lovelace, Bertrand Russell, Dickens, Austen, K and M Amis, Orwell, Shelley, Keats, Woolf, A Huxley, Henry V, De Morgan, Milton, Elizabeth Fry, Countless British VC winners etc.

So must go with Wellington.

ReputationRep:
    Justin Bieber

ReputationRep:
    A question for all those who say Isaac Newton.

Can someone be the greatest person if they had a terrible personality?

If so then fine,he must surely be in the top 5.

But I think its a shame that the greatest this country has ever produced may well be someone who was a right ****.

Then again it might be rather apt....

ReputationRep:
    Dave Benson Phillips, Pat Sharp and Richard O'Brien. Maybe Andi Peters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    A question for all those who say Isaac Newton.

Can someone be the greatest person if they had a terrible personality?

If so then fine,he must surely be in the top 5.

But I think its a shame that the greatest this country has ever produced may well be someone who was a right ****.

Then again it might be rather apt....
    Well, why not?

Edit: your post reminded me a lot of Gregory House from House MD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Firstly to the comment about economics. Lets take a look at GDP growth rates to me they seem overwelhmingly similar both before and after Thatcher. Now unemployment, on this one the rates seem higher both during and after Thatcher came to power. Now onto real wage rises, again there doesn't really seem to be much change since Thatcher took power. But of course she revolutionised the economy and made it more powerful :rolleyes:.

Secondly if Thatcher was so ruthless in cutting welfare, how come her spending levels appear to be similar to that of Blair?
    First, your spending levels information doesn't include the Thatcher years, just post 1986+ so I'm not sure what you were hoping to prove with that. Your unemployment pdf doesn't really prove your point, the unemployment was higher during Thatcher's time in power, but then begins to drop due to the stabilisation of the economy. I think it's very interesting that you've - to help your argument - left out inflation figures, by putting an end to the post war consensus and by putting an end to ever-increasing wages, Thatcher stabilised inflation. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...fN0ZoWmc#gid=0 This shows how inflation had been at levels up to 17-18% in the years before Thatcher, hence why her measures were needed, and why today we have levels of around 2-3%. As I said in the original argument, Thatcher isn't the greatest politician if you were living in her time in power, but without her our economy would be in a much worse shape - hence why she is the greatest Briton in terms of what she did for the future.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...fN0ZoWmc#gid=0 This shows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent1)
    First, your spending levels information doesn't include the Thatcher years, just post 1986+ so I'm not sure what you were hoping to prove with that. Your unemployment pdf doesn't really prove your point, the unemployment was higher during Thatcher's time in power, but then begins to drop due to the stabilisation of the economy. I think it's very interesting that you've - to help your argument - left out inflation figures, by putting an end to the post war consensus and by putting an end to ever-increasing wages, Thatcher stabilised inflation. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...fN0ZoWmc#gid=0 This shows how inflation had been at levels up to 17-18% in the years before Thatcher, hence why her measures were needed, and why today we have levels of around 2-3%. As I said in the original argument, Thatcher isn't the greatest politician if you were living in her time in power, but without her our economy would be in a much worse shape - hence why she is the greatest Briton in terms of what she did for the future.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...fN0ZoWmc#gid=0 This shows
    She was in power from 1986 to 1990 so its still relevant particularly as Blairs spending is much maligned.

I'll give you a full answer later but look up the Oil Crisis in the 1970s and then the Scottish Oil Boom and you'll see why inflation was so high and then dropped substancially.

ReputationRep:
    enoch powell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    New Murphy12 rule: you can only pick people who are perfect.

(Psst. You spelled saviour incorrectly. That's you ruled out!)
    If you could kindly show me where I ever said that I will be more than happy to concede.

However, I did not. Someone made a post about the historian calling Churchill a saviour, I felt this was an inaccurate representation of his views.

Furthermore, aside from the strawman, this isn't a case of imperfection rules him out. It's a case of his severe wrong doings throwing him out of the race. Look up the Bengal Famine.

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolate hottie)
    Do you deny that in the first footnote on Churchill, Taylor, after briefly summarising his whole career wrote "the saviour of his country."?

I was joking about apologising but refraining from an outright lie on this matter would be welcome.
    I must admit I have never seen this footnote. Could you type it out or send a picture? It seems to go against the general argument of the book - a war hero, but neither a saviour nor a great man outside his defence of Britain.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.