Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Moving to London. TSR what should I know? watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    What are the OK places/nasty areas? Ty in advance

I thought it was just stereotypes before I met them, I don't like judging people. But they're some of the rudest people I've met definitely avoid :lol:

Well I won't be earning billions that's for sure
    Basically, since Canary Wharf and its surrounding areas have been significantly redeveloped, you just need to stay away from the "old" parts of areas like Bow, Bethnal Green, Stepney, Whitechapel etc. You should look for recent developments!

When I was at uni, I rented a flat in St. John's Wood, purely because I didn't want exposure to any "instability".

At the end of the day, it all depends on your budget and the kind of people you want to live around

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Heh

Greenwich is across the river so do you usually walk through the tunnel even at night?

Do most people "go out" in the centre then? What's a good area if you go out often and don't want a long night commute?
    I've never actually walked it on my own, because I never went there on my own, but with housemates, yeah, we've walked the underground tunnel at all hours. It seems fine.

I don't really know what most people do -- there are people everywhere And you're going to have a long commute wherever you go, unless you just jump in an uber as I saw someone suggest. Sorry for a bit of a non-answer but really you'll end up going out everywhere over time.

ReputationRep:
    Understanding the tube isn't actually that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Things move quickly in London,it's a fast life,plenty of rude people,war zone on the tube during rush hour time,great parks,lots to do/places to visit
    great parks where?

Also, OP, making eye contact with strangers is forbidden on the underground.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    great parks where?

Oh my, yes! Always make sure you have interesting games installed on your phone because I can assure you there'll be nowhere you can look without looking awkward :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    Oh my, yes! Always make sure you have interesting games installed on your phone because I can assure you there'll be nowhere you can look without looking awkward :rofl:
    Evening standard.

Or stare intently at the maps above the heads of the people opposite.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Evening standard.

Or stare intently at the maps above the heads of the people opposite.
    I guess.

My eyeballs get tired from looking at the maps for too long :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    I guess.

My eyeballs get tired from looking at the maps for too long :bawling:
    You could just pick people to stare out and freak them out
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    You could just pick people to stare out and freak them out
    No because I know something weird is going to happen like eye twitches or get the sniffles :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    great parks where?

How can you ask this question? Plenty of beautiful green spaces in the capital.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm going at the start of December when it will probably be freezing :eek:

Not decided on an area to live in yet but I can afford something pretty decent

What should I know?
    There is a lot less freedom of speech in London than elsewhere,

ReputationRep:
    Things move quickly in London,it's a fast life,plenty of rude people,war zone on the tube during rush hour time,great parks,lots to do/places to visit
    Queen bee I always though you were American for some reason are you a Londoner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeptique)
    Queen bee I always though you were American for some reason are you a Londoner?
    I'm a Londoner why did you think I was American?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Londoner why did you think I was American?
    1) You look Sino from your pic
    2) You profess Christ
    3) Sino Christians usually are Texan American
    4) In your thread "Ya'll go church?" Ya'll seemed deliberately 'Americana'.
    5) I always thought TSR was a US site anyway.
    6) Why wouldnt you know of churches in Lon/UK if a Londoner?

huh? huh??

ReputationRep:
    1) You look Sino from your pic
    2) You profess Christ
    3) Sino Christians usually are Texan American
    4) In your thread "Ya'll go church?" Ya'll seemed deliberately 'Americana'.
    5) I always thought TSR was a US site anyway.
    6) Why wouldnt you know of churches in Lon/UK if a Londoner?

huh? huh??
    What's being 'chinese' looking got to do with America?
    Also I'm an Arab Italian/Christian and I follow an oriental orthodox branch of Christianity(Coptic christianity). So there's no such thing as someone living in Britain who is a Christian? What nonsense.
    I've always used those words in my thread,it's catchy.
    I do know many churches but I wanted to find out which particular ones people attend and what it's like/what they do there.
    TSR is a British site? How could you not know that or you're probably just trolling

ReputationRep:
    What's being 'chinese' looking got to do with America?
    Also I'm an Arab Italian/Christian and I follow an oriental orthodox branch of Christianity(Coptic christianity). So there's no such thing as someone living in Britain who is a Christian? What nonsense.
    I've always used those words in my thread,it's catchy.
    I do know many churches but I wanted to find out which particular ones people attend and what it's like/what they do there.
    TSR is a British site? How could you not know that or you're probably just trolling
    What's being 'chinese' looking got to do with America? No you've missed my point Chinese Christians are mostly from USA/TX
    So there's no such thing as someone living in Britain who is a Christian? What nonsense. I would agree, I think Chinese Christians are rare in Britain though.
    I've always used those words in my thread,it's catchy. Oh it is a deliberation then?
    ..you're probably just trolling I'm only 'trolling' as much as I've been misunderstood.

Blessings in His Name.

ReputationRep:
    What's being 'chinese' looking got to do with America? No you've missed my point Chinese Christians are mostly from USA/TX
    So there's no such thing as someone living in Britain who is a Christian? What nonsense. I would agree, I think Chinese Christians are rare in Britain though.
    I've always used those words in my thread,it's catchy. Oh it is a deliberation then?
    ..you're probably just trolling I'm only 'trolling' as much as I've been misunderstood.

Blessings in His Name.
    I've mentioned many times on this website that I'm part Arab (levant) and part Swiss Italian. So I don't know why you keep bringing up Chinese Christians but fair to say I don't know any Chinese Christians.

I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to use those words.

Also it's pretty obvious this site is a UK one.

ReputationRep:
    I've mentioned many times on this website that I'm part Arab (levant) and part Swiss Italian. So I don't know why you keep bringing up Chinese Christians but fair to say I don't know any Chinese Christians.

I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to use those words.

Also it's pretty obvious this site is a UK one.
    You might have mentioned your heritage before but why would I know? my account is only a few months, if that. I explained that I thought you looked Sino [perhaps just the angle you're at to the camera (but ethnic still)] and learned that you profess Christ in your thread - thats how 'Chinese Christians' developed into the conversation. At least we've both concluded that Chinese Christians are rare in the UK at least so I thought based upon my earlier misconception that you may be Chinese American thats all.

Blessing in His name.

ReputationRep:
    You might have mentioned your heritage before but why would I know? my account is only a few months, if that. I explained that I thought you looked Sino [perhaps just the angle you're at to the camera (but ethnic still)] and learned that you profess Christ in your thread - thats how 'Chinese Christians' developed into the conversation. At least we've both concluded that Chinese Christians are rare in the UK at least so I thought based upon my earlier misconception that you may be Chinese American thats all.

Blessing in His name.
    are you a Christian too? Sino Christian?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=RiotGirll;60308525]Why do you have to elbow them for, wouldn't that start an argument

Blackpool isn't so multicultural but I don't mind multicultural areas diversity is good

Lol I am joking, elbowing is an exaggeration- don't assault people! but sometimes you'll have to be ruthless on the tube.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.