Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

B879 - Capital Punishment Bill 2015 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    It's too bad that they get such good conditions in them as well! Those convicted of the high end crimes should not have such a good quality of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Care to inform us what those "good conditions" are?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Care to inform us what those "good conditions" are?
    I've heard of some prisoners having games consoles and stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of some prisoners having games consoles and stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You know what, I actually don't mind that. Looking into it they've have to save up their allowance for 24 weeks to buy a console and game, with the wifi being removed to prevent internet access and this assuming they buy nothing else at that time. Even then it's only for those on minimum security, we're not talking about murderers. I think it seems like a pretty good way to promote financial responsibility which is something they'll need upon release.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    They can have an occasional bite here and there so I guess it's alright. Almost like a parasitic symbiosis.

Or are you suggesting to just execute them after all?
    Is parasitic symbiosis not somewhat oxymoronic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    You know what, I actually don't mind that. Looking into it they've have to save up their allowance for 24 weeks to buy a console and game, with the wifi being removed to prevent internet access and this assuming they buy nothing else at that time. Even then it's only for those on minimum security, we're not talking about murderers. I think it seems like a pretty good way to promote financial responsibility which is something they'll need upon release.
    I'm all for promoting financial responsibility - but I think games consoles and stuff are a step too far. The murderers and whatnot should just be given the essentials to survive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Is parasitic symbiosis not somewhat oxymoronic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not at all, it's fairly common.

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for promoting financial responsibility - but I think games consoles and stuff are a step too far. The murderers and whatnot should just be given the essentials to survive

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Once again, this absolutely is not for murderers in any case, it's primarily people on fairly minor sentences. Do you believe murder should carry a whole-life sentence with no possibility of release?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Once again, this absolutely is not for murderers in any case, it's primarily people on fairly minor sentences. Do you believe murder should carry a whole-life sentence with no possibility of release?
    Unless the murder was committed in a blind rage, in vengeance of another murder for example. If it was meticulously planned with no real reason for it, then yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, it's fairly common.
    Isn't pregnancy a type of this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    no, you are thinking of this:
    <insert gruesome picture here>

edit: I cant the picture of that thing from alien to work

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28film%29

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, it isn't. Speaking about pregnancy though, here is a great explanation of menstruation and the fascinating underlying evolutionary and immunological effects. It also provides insight into why we tend to think of fetuses as parasites.

Inside the uterus we have a thick layer of endometrial tissue, which contains only tiny blood vessels. The endometrium seals off our main blood supply from the newly implanted embryo. The growing placenta literally burrows through this layer, rips into arterial walls and re-wires them to channel blood straight to the hungry embryo. It delves deep into the surrounding tissues, razes them and pumps the arteries full of hormones so they expand into the space created. It paralyzes these arteries so the mother cannot even constrict them.

What this means is that the growing fetus now has direct, unrestricted access to its mother's blood supply. It can manufacture hormones and use them to manipulate her. It can, for instance, increase her blood sugar, dilate her arteries, and inflate her blood pressure to provide itself with more nutrients. And it does. Some fetal cells find their way through the placenta and into the mother's bloodstream. They will grow in her blood and organs, and even in her brain, for the rest of her life, making her a genetic chimera.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, it isn't. Speaking about pregnancy though, here is a great explanation of menstruation and the fascinating underlying evolutionary and immunological effects. It also provides insight into why we tend to think of fetuses as parasites.
    And the very system describes can be bad for the foetus, my mum has known my sisters blood group, or at least that she is positive, because she needed to take drugs because of it, all we know about my blood is negative. Kinda wanna be AB- even though I don't think it's a possibility, simply to be in 1% of the UK and 0.3% globally for blood group

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with that article tbh. Pregnancy is definitely not a straight up symbiotic relationship, the placenta exists purely for the protection of the foetus, no benefits for the mother. In my book symbiosis must be mutually beneficial (which pregnancy definitely isnt) as for parasitism, again, depends on harm to the host. It's a very mild argument that pregnancy is a form of parasitism because it usually isn't a harmful relationship, hence the compromise is parasitic symbiosis.

I'd back a different term because it IS NOT symbiosis. I'm inclined to argue against your evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And the very system describes can be bad for the foetus, my mum has known my sisters blood group, or at least that she is positive, because she needed to take drugs because of it, all we know about my blood is negative. Kinda wanna be AB- even though I don't think it's a possibility, simply to be in 1% of the UK and 0.3% globally for blood group

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quite a rare occurrence, rhesus negative mothers with positive children. In the event of blood mixing during birth the immune reaction is often fatal for the baby.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Quite a rare occurrence, rhesus negative mothers with positive children. In the event of blood mixing during birth the immune reaction is often fatal for the baby.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So uncommon that it should happen about 75% of the time if the father is rhesus positive, any rarity therefore would come about from rarity of a rhesus positive male and rhesus negative female having children, which I don't have stats for.

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous. If ONE picture of a couple of guys kissing is "in your face" how do you think LGB people feel about things? Depictions of straight couples getting it on are literally everywhere.
    Some people oppose public displays of affection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Some people oppose public displays of affection, but of course, today's ultraliberal leftist media uses it like propaganda.
    The problem is if they single out PDA between the same sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    The problem is if they single out PDA between the same sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's this got to do with sound punishment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We need this, especially for paedophiles and rapists. It's a must.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This is in cessation.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.