Turn on thread page Beta

Is it time to ban private schools watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    This is complete rubbish. My parents legitimately used ALL of their savings to send me to a boarding school for sixth form and cannot afford university, really. I honestly do not know why people would struggle with paying back like a pound a week when you are on £21,000 a year. It's complete rubbish. Education in this country is SO affordable on a university level - heck, the government and university themselves essentially pay it for you until you earn enough to pay it off yourself and even then it is in minute and affordable sums.

Irrespective of that, you are still not actually answering anything. You have just completely gone off topic.

I admire the sacrifices your parents have obviously made.I always felt the government have made a degree more expensive and therefore exclusive.. I did the final year of my degree for £1,200 in 2006. Now the same full degree course costs £27, 500 excluding maintenance, rent etc. I know it can be paid off slowly after earning 21k but a £3,500 degree now costs 27k.... and lots of grads don't think it represents value for money, and don't want the debt. Some won't find the repayments a problem if they can get some help financially. We live in a time of some of the most expensive rents and house prices ever remember.I may have digressed, but my point is a degree is now more expensive-why?At these costs university which should be for everyone in my humble opinion favours the wealthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    Of course not, but everyone should have access to the same quality of education, this includes creating a lot of new grammar schools.

No, I'm saying it's unfair a child has a better chance in life because he's born in a rich family.
    But they do? People just hear the words private school and think, 'lol, i have no money' when in reality, as I said earlier, they're not that far out of people's leagues. Allow me to elaborate. Most if not all private schools function like charities. There are a great deal of students at many of these schools on bursaries and scholarships to aid parents. The same stigma is attached to the Ivy League schools in America. People think they're untouchable financially when all of them have so much damn money, they will essentially pay for you if you are good enough to be admitted and many of them do do exactly this. One example is Harvard itself, if you get admitted, they meet 100% of your demonstrated need regardless of citizenship and merit. Harvard is, by the way, a private institution.

That is the way of the world though - it's reality; there will always be hierarchy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by versari)
    I admire the sacrifices your parents have obviously made.I always felt the government have made a degree more expensive and therefore exclusive.. I did the final year of my degree for £1,200 in 2006. Now the same full degree course costs £27, 500 excluding maintenance, rent etc. I know it can be paid off slowly after earning 21k but a £3,500 degree now costs 27k.... and lots of grads don't think it represents value for money, and don't want the debt. Some won't find the repayments a problem if they can get some help financially. We live in a time of some of the most expensive rents and house prices ever remember.I may have digressed, but my point is a degree is now more expensive-why?At these costs university which should be for everyone in my humble opinion favours the wealthy.
    Bold Italics: This is fair enough but I must insist that you realise there is a difference between being able to pay for something and not wanting to.

I don't disagree that the increase seems to be a bizarre one but it still doesn't mean anything to this discussion. It does not favour the wealthy because EVERYONE gets the same tuition rate and those with less money can access much bigger grants and loans. You have to remember that although some students are from very rich families, they themselves are not rich and by the university level, a lot of parents want their children to stand on their own two feet. Mine certainly do as do many of the students I know at my school. One child I know attended La Rosey in Switzerland, paying absolutely extortionate fees in the hundred thousands. His parents are billionaires. They will not fund him at all once he leaves sixth form. This does happen because there are many wealthy people in today's world who have made their wealth and not inherited it. Do you see my point?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ivybridge;60472959]Bold Italics: This is fair enough but I must insist that you realise there is a difference between being able to pay for something and not wanting to.

I accept the difference between being able to, and not wanting to. If I don't think something is worth it though I won't buy it. It's a value judgment. See my point. Broadly, you are just justifying debt without considering the merits of the debt or its implications. If a 27k degree that takes you twenty five years to pay off seems worth it, then go for it.

I just think people need to examine their motives;In my view most people go to university not to gain understanding and increased knowledge, but because they think that without the piece of paper saying degree, and the debt that goes with it (even with subsidy there is usually still debt) they wont get a job. They're mad. Remember not everyone is interested in becoming a doctor or lawyer, even plumbers make the same money after apprenticeships.

Yes many people have made their wealth and not inherited it -often by preying on the poor, vulnerable and less fortunate and applying a distorted moral delusion to justify it ; so even that comment is misleading. (not sure what your point is...many people who inherit are at least inheriting an estate honestly acquired....)

They will not fund him at all once he leaves sixth form. This does happen because there are many wealthy people in today's world who have made their wealth and not inherited it. Do you see my point?
    Yes. I've been interested in what you say, because at least you're speaking from experience. Personally, I would never be so stupid as to think all private school kids come from privileged homes but the age group, and mentality we're talking about obviously do.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.