Turn on thread page Beta

Capital Punishment; The Question watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should capital punishment be integrated into UK law?
    Yes
    30.72%
    No
    69.28%

ReputationRep:
    Depends the circumstances i would say pro. Scumbags such as murderers, rapists , arsonists with intent to kill and any Non British citizen to commit a crime should be murdered, get rid of the riff-raff in society. I personally would not publicize it. What i would do is hire a secret police maybe 1000 people in different parts of the country and then another secret police to monitor them. They would be armed with the MI5 equipment a pen which can give somebody an heart attack.Anyone within those paramaters i stated will be shot with the heart attack gun. The coroners will rule natural causes nobody will know, not a trace. Win win , wipe out the riff-raff.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not.

Capital punishment is cold, calculated murder: exactly the kind of thing we try to eradicate from society. Most of the important arguments have already been raised (i.e. Where do we stop? And the state should not possess those sorts of powers), but here is an article that talks about the costs involved.

http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=31614 - it is cheaper to imprison someone. The reason it is so expensive to operate capital punishment is the regulation. Without the strict regulation, capital punishment becomes even more reckless and messy. So, please don't say 'spend much less', you simply cannot if you do it properly.

Without getting too philosophical, the reason we separate ourselves from other parts of nature is because of our compassion and intelligence. Capital punishment undermines this, at least for me, and is one of the reasons why I voted 'no'.

Such an interesting debate though :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    Depends the circumstances i would say pro. Scumbags such as murderers, rapists , arsonists with intent to kill and any Non British citizen to commit a crime should be murdered, get rid of the riff-raff in society. I personally would not publicize it. What i would do is hire a secret police maybe 1000 people in different parts of the country and then another secret police to monitor them. They would be armed with the MI5 equipment a pen which can give somebody an heart attack.Anyone within those paramaters i stated will be shot with the heart attack gun. The coroners will rule natural causes nobody will know, not a trace. Win win , wipe out the riff-raff.
    Please tell me this is satirical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquaxo)
    Please tell me this is satirical?
    No Honest truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    No Honest truth.
    Please explain why being of non-British origin should affect your chances of capital punishment?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, this doesn't even warrant a response.
    our country is not authoritarian enough and there is people on the street with up to 55+ convictions and this is because there is no capital punishment. multiple convictions are more common in immigrants oust them.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, this doesn't even warrant a response.
    ZZTop1 is very much trolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    I figured as much :-) x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    If the cap fits, wear it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Absolutely not.

Capital punishment is cold, calculated murder: exactly the kind of thing we try to eradicate from society. Most of the important arguments have already been raised (i.e. Where do we stop? And the state should not possess those sorts of powers), but here is an article that talks about the costs involved.

http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=31614 - it is cheaper to imprison someone. The reason it is so expensive to operate capital punishment is the regulation. Without the strict regulation, capital punishment becomes even more reckless and messy. So, please don't say 'spend much less', you simply cannot if you do it properly.

Without getting too philosophical, the reason we separate ourselves from other parts of nature is because of our compassion and intelligence. Capital punishment undermines this, at least for me, and is one of the reasons why I voted 'no'.

Such an interesting debate though :-)
    *Looks up murder*
    Damn, yet another person who has failed to change the definition of murder to suit their needs, there are rather a lot of you, some have even tried to extend it to animals.

ReputationRep:
    I support capital punishment as I think punishment is a matter for the courts. Not Parliament. Also that if I murder someone I should be hung for such an act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    *Looks up murder*
    Damn, yet another person who has failed to change the definition of murder to suit their needs, there are rather a lot of you, some have even tried to extend it to animals.
    Okay: cold, calculated, pre-meditated killing.

Is this any more humane?

ReputationRep:
    Anti. Capital punishment isn't beneficial society. It doesn't attack the root of the problem, where reform more so does. In the case of psychopaths, the deterrent of Capital punishment doesn't really work
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EC3)
    Anti. Capital punishment isn't beneficial society. It doesn't attack the root of the problem, where reform more so does. In the case of psychopaths, the deterrent of Capital punishment doesn't really work
    Indeed, and one could argue that one must be somewhat mentally ill to commit a crime like murder in the first place. This is also why capital punishment hasn't really ever been a deterrent.

ReputationRep:
    no, this debate isn't interesting, it's not necessary and has no place in a civilised society. anyone who believes that we should kill another because that other has killed someone else is severely misguided and requires to be helped. i don't understand how we can't see that killing another is just as bad as that person killing someone. to want another to die who's killed another makes us just as bad as the murderer. when we take revenge, we become that which we try to punish. forgiveness is the only way we're going to transform this world into a place worth living

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairytalecolours)
    no, this debate isn't interesting, it's not necessary and has no place in a civilised society. anyone who believes that we should kill another because that other has killed someone else is severely misguided and requires to be helped. i don't understand how we can't see that killing another is just as bad as that person killing someone. to want another to die who's killed another makes us just as bad as the murderer. when we take revenge, we become that which we try to punish. forgiveness is the only way we're going to transform this world into a place worth living

So why is it acceptable to put an animal down that has harmed a person? My view is that it is impossible to rehabilitate a certain subset of criminals (murderers, serial killers etc), so we may be left capital punishment as the only effective means of protecting society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    *Looks up murder*
    The definition of murder is not the same as the legal definition of murder, and the legal definition is what counts. In Britain Hanging was only an option for a capital crime.
    • in the course or furtherance of theft
    • by shooting or causing an explosion
    • while resisting arrest or during an escape
    • of a police officer
    • of a prison officer by a prisoner
    • the second of two murders committed on different occasions (if both done in Great Britain).

The third one was relevant in the Bentley case, where Bentley was said to be technically under arrest.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    The definition of murder is not the same as the legal definition of murder, and the legal definition is what counts. In Britain Hanging was only an option for a capital crime.
    • in the course or furtherance of theft
    • by shooting or causing an explosion
    • while resisting arrest or during an escape
    • of a police officer
    • of a prison officer by a prisoner
    • the second of two murders committed on different occasions (if both done in Great Britain).

The third one was relevant in the Bentley case, where Bentley was said to be technically under arrest.
    Then what is the legal definition of murder so we can compare? I somehow doubt it includes state mandated killings (nor killings of animals)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    Its silly how some people are saying that CP is barbaric - isn't locking someone up in dreary and depressing conditions for the rest of their life, punished by inmates who perhaps are even worse psychopaths, just as 'bad'? Obviously the aim with any punishment is to prevent others from doing the crime and for punishing the individual(s) in an affordable way.
    Yes, but that should also be used in very rare cases and for very few murderers even. Current criminal sentencing is far far far too harsh. The problem with CP is it is irreversible, and thus a reversible 'just as bad' outcome is better to use.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anything can be achieved from sinking to the same level as those that commit the crime, that's before even coming to the possibility of error - something that could result in the killing of an innocent person.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.