West Ham
    2.50%
    Other
    1.67%
    Chelsea will still make it
    17.50%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Not massively so, he's fairly easily knocked off the ball. Not quite the wimpy preening **** we had on loan, but still less than stocky even when wringing wet. He's also not particularly fast, there's no real turn of pace, hence him failing in more takeons than he's successful with. Reactions I'll give, he's got a good positional awareness, but his physical qualities are non-existent. Read where the ball is going as a defender and more often than not you'll beat him.

In which case we've got to say he's entirely reliant on Eriksen, and isn't that good himself.

Admittedly I do absolutely loathe the guy, but if you can find a leicester fan that doesn't, I'll show you someone who's only started following us since we got back into the premiership. It's not even that he was hopelessly inept, we've had plenty of that, it's that he didn't even break sweat, such was his arrogance (any teenager treating the championship as below him doesn't deserve a career as a footballer) - never once challenged for a 50/50, looked lost on the pitch and more interested in styling his hair than playing football (as if his hair was worth anything), but beyond that he's really not that good. Had a great 4 months last season, had a decent month just gone (although the boruc blunders make it look far better than it is), but given the choice between him, sturridge and benteke? He's got to be 3rd choice.
    Lol, let's just agree we have a difference of opinion, we've been debating for days haha.

In the words of Vardy, 'chat **** get banged' look at the hard man Kane - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVTJLboUohg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFTypoCorrector)
    Kane averages 1.8 bad touches a game throughout his career, whilst Benteke's is up at 2.3. Benteke is also dispossessed more a game (2.2 to 2.1). Note that these stats track Kane's whole career, but only go as far back for Benteke as him joining Villa (so don't include his breaking into Genk's first team and his youth, where stats are bound to be lower). Benteke is stronger of course, and obviously less easy to knock off the ball but if, by metrics, you're saying Kane is easily dispossessed, then so is Tekkers.

Agree he's not fast, but as you've alluded to his awareness allows to him to overcome that, and clearly it's not as simple as that to stop him. It's not like Benteke is fast either anyway.

Shock horror, a strikers influence diminishes when the number 10 is injured. It's more notable in a Spurs team that relies heavily on Eriksen themselves with a double pivot of Dier, who's role is to break up play, and Alli, who's a ball carrier and joins attacks at the end of the play rather than instigates it. They also like playing inverted wingers who come inside a lot and can congest the central areas, and defences just sit deeper, with no crosses coming in he's clearly not gonna get chances.

Fair enough on the Leicester bit, you'd no better than me but the last bit is just lol-worthy. His figures last season were, in likelihood, unsustainable but the stats point to him comfortably being a 1 in 2 man (at least). He shoots 3.5 times a game, his conversion rate is 25% or thereabouts and he takes penalties, so you'd be crazy to back against him getting under 15 in the league, which is a very decent return (Rooney's done it 4 times for us, and he's gonna be our record goalscorer). Shock horror, a 21 year old in his breakthrough season shows inconsistency in his form, it's a trait of every single player of his age.

The fact is you're blinded by bias. There's a debate to be had between Benteke and Kane, but Harry's shown a far higher ceiling than Christian, he's done it for a top team (insert all Spurs related jokes) and he's 3 years younger, yet you're somehow dismissing him based on a loan spell he had with you as a teenager :rolleyes: . I'd agree with you that Sturridge is probably a better player, but as David said part of being a footballer is keeping yourself fit and that's something that comes into consideration when you're comparing players.
    Luv it when you bring out stats xxx
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by FFTypoCorrector)
    The fact is you're blinded by bias. There's a debate to be had between Benteke and Kane, but Harry's shown a far higher ceiling than Christian, he's done it for a top team (insert all Spurs related jokes) and he's 3 years younger, yet you're somehow dismissing him based on a loan spell he had with you as a teenager :rolleyes:.
    Nowhere have I dismissed the idea he's got a higher ceiling, rather I've made it clear that he has the potential to outstrip Benteke but right now? Benteke is better. Come back in 3/4 years and if all goes well for Kane (avoids any serious injuries etc.) then it's highly likely the story will have changed, but right now Kane is just a hot prospect who needs to show that the spring wasn't a flash in the pan, where as Benteke has done it consistently over several seasons for a depressingly negative Villa under Lambert.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe that 19% think Leicester will come 4th!!

They have almost no chance of coming 4th and the main reason they are where they are is because they have had a very benign fixture list.

They are 12-1 for a top 4 place with bet365 and the true odds are at least 16-1 ( yes a 6% chance = 'almost no chance' in this type of discussion ) .

However ,I will start betting on them to win the market wout the big 6 as they could win that.(Though they probably won't )
    If that doesn't put the kibosh on them I don't know what will.

Edit As for who will come 4th Id have to go with Liverpool myself.But obviously it's between them,Spurs and Chelsea.Its just plain laughable to talk about Leicester being top 4 which is a 6% chance-ok maybe 10%- but write off Chelsea who have a 10-20% chance!

Edit Obviously the upcoming Spurs v Blues game will be crucial and if Blues can snatch a win the confidence that would give them would change things considerably.
    A change of manager might well see an improvement too of course although not sure who's available.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by moggis)
    I can't believe that 19% think Leicester will come 4th!!

They have almost no chance of coming 4th and the main reason they are where they are is because they have had a very benign fixture list.
    This form has lasted over half a season now from the back end of last season, and we've only not played the two manchester clubs of the rest of the top seven at this moment. It's not so much good fixture list as it is good side.

ReputationRep:
    This form has lasted over half a season now from the back end of last season, and we've only not played the two manchester clubs of the rest of the top seven at this moment. It's not so much good fixture list as it is good side.
    You have got United, Swansea, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and then City. That's a pretty tough fixture list tbh (tougher than what you have had so far), just drawing two of them could potentially put you out of the top 4. This season Leicester haven't yet managed a win against a top 7 side from last season (drawing two and losing one, although Chelsea looks like a 3 point banker atm). Spurs have an easier fixture list having already played most of those clubs.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by samir12)
    You have got United, Swansea, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and then City. That's a pretty tough fixture list tbh (tougher than what you have had so far), just drawing two of them could potentially put you out of the top 4. Spurs have an easier fixture list having already played most of those clubs.
    On paper it looks quite tough, but I can't agree with anyone saying we've had easy fixtures so far - we've not played the manchester clubs, liverpool or chelsea yet granted, but people are looking far too much at reputation over the quality so far - as an example, anyone arguing that chelsea would still be a more difficult match than west ham so far this season is I dare say the living definition of the saying 'none so blind as those who won't see'.

ReputationRep:
    On paper it looks quite tough, but I can't agree with anyone saying we've had easy fixtures so far - we've not played the manchester clubs, liverpool or chelsea yet granted, but people are looking far too much at reputation over the quality so far - as an example, anyone arguing that chelsea would still be a more difficult match than west ham so far this season is I dare say the living definition of the saying 'none so blind as those who won't see'.
    You have played West Ham, Soton, Spurs and Arsenal so far so you haven't had easy fixtures I agree but tbh you haven't had as many hard fixtures as Liverpool, United and Spurs have had which is why they have relatively easier fixture lists coming up. The point is you cannot afford to drop points in too many of those games which atm looks likely seeing as you have already dropped points to Soton, Spurs and Arsenal. Defence needs to tighten up.

ReputationRep:
    You have played West Ham, Soton, Spurs and Arsenal so far so you haven't had easy fixtures I agree but tbh you haven't had as many hard fixtures as Liverpool, United and Spurs have had which is why they have relatively easier fixture lists coming up. The point is you cannot afford to drop points in too many of those games which atm looks likely seeing as you have already dropped points to Soton, Spurs and Arsenal. Defence needs to tighten up.
    Exactly, and when you consider that Liverpool have played every "tough" team except City (which comes up next), their points total actually isn't as bad as some might think. Especially when you realise that almost all of those games have been away.

Liverpool's 2016 fixtures look very nice and I would definitely expect them to be the favourites for 4th unless Chelsea go on a winning streak before Xmas.

ReputationRep:

In fact,as you will well know,long before Leicester embarked on this impressive run,they were playing really well without getting any luck.

That they seem to be a (very) good side is not in question.

But the fact is their fixture list so far is one of the 2 or 3 easiest.

This happens year after year after year.An unfancied team does really well early on and some people get carried away.

They have a chance of top 4.In fact they may never have a better chance .But when I see 19% of presumably university level posters saying they will be 4th, then, even allowing for wishful thinking,I can't help but be reminded as to why I find it so easy to make money from trading long term markets.

By the way on another thread I picked out Leicester as my surprise team of the season( before a ball was kicked)so not much they've done thus far has surprised me- especially given the fixture list!

I have been betting Vardy for top scorer since Aguero got injured and could win a lot of money if I'm wrong about Leicester and Vardy gets 24 goals or so.

But a return to the mean beckons I suspect.

It would be utterly WONDERFUL to be wrong though. Wonderful for football.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Exactly, and when you consider that Liverpool have played every "tough" team except City (which comes up next), their points total actually isn't as bad as some might think. Especially when you realise that almost all of those games have been away.

Liverpool's 2016 fixtures look very nice and I would definitely expect them to be the favourites for 4th unless Chelsea go on a winning streak before Xmas.
    Apart from the period where we play Arsenal and United consecutively... again. It's like the PL doesn't want us to make top 4 .

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the period where we play Arsenal and United consecutively... again. It's like the PL doesn't want us to make top 4 .
    Haha true - at the start of the season i was fuming at our away fixtures

What i would say though is that i think it worked out for the best. The more time Klopp has this season, the better we'll be. Especially after us potentially buying a player or two in January
    Therefore having already played the hardest games in the season, we have good reason to be optimistic.

Lost to United (and probably to City in the next fixture)
    Drew to Arsenal, Soton, Spurs and Everton
    Won against Chelsea

Considering all of the above games bar Soton were away, that's not even a terrible record when you think that we've had multiple key player injuries and a managerial change.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Leicester
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Both at Anfield though

In fact all your big games are at home which is a HUGE advantage. By comparison we still have to go to Spurs, Chelsea, City and Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    we gonna win the next PL
    AVFC FTW
    IKR, how did we not win last season? we were so close!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sr90)
    Both at Anfield though

In fact all your big games are at home which is a HUGE advantage. By comparison we still have to go to Spurs, Chelsea, City and Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We had the toughest away fixtures imaginable from August to November, though, in fairness.

Only one missing was a trip to the Etihad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Both at Anfield though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been saying this for bloody ages.

Yeah we're a little behind right now and yeah we'll likely lose to City at the weekend but at least after that we have the advantage in every important game (bar Soton).

For a team who will surely strengthen in January and who are still acclimatising to a new manager, we will only get stronger as the season goes on.

For those reasons I cannot see why we aren't the favourites for 4th place.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lúcio)

For those reasons I cannot see why we aren't the favourites for 4th place.
    Tottenham shouldn't be underestimated - that's why.

Pochetinno's style has finally be successful and indulged in by his players, he seems to be getting the best out of previously maligned big money buys like Lamela, and they don't have an injury-hit squad right now.

Lloris is (for me) the second best fit goalkeeper in the division, behind only DDG, and their back four is solid with selection. They've also got players in the form of their life having big seasons, like Dembele and Dier and Alli.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea are gonna finish 3rd or 4th this season. We might even win it you never know lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 20, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.