The Dissertation Thread 2015-2016 Watch

This discussion is closed.
beatsurrender
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you guys really read all your references? Like..if something you have read tells you about it and references it..do you just put the original reference in rather than saying the whole '(x cited in y)'? Don't get me wrong I do try and read the majority of the original sources, but there's one or two dotted in my diss that I really don't have the time to read :|
beatsurrender
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
if that makes any sense at all.. sorry I'm tired ^^
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by beatsurrender)
Do you guys really read all your references? Like..if something you have read tells you about it and references it..do you just put the original reference in rather than saying the whole '(x cited in y)'? Don't get me wrong I do try and read the majority of the original sources, but there's one or two dotted in my diss that I really don't have the time to read :|
I read all mine :eek3: And the ones I didn't I put x cited in y.

What subject are you doing?
john2054
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by beatsurrender)
No you don't have to read them all. It is okay to reference that something that you have only 'referenced' and not actually read. You can even reference youtube videos, conversations you've had, and kindle books if you do it properly. And yes i have done all of these before as well. Just try to keep the majority to the more conventional journal articles and books that you have actually read, or at least looked at okay?
SG19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi everyone can you please answer my survey on the following link https://www.esurveycreator.co.uk/s/d98a9c1
I would really appreciate it because it is for my uni dissertation and it is about YouTube vloggers and product exposure with relation to purchase intentions, so if you can share it with your friends and family that would be great, thank you
lilGem
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just submitted my first draft on time to my supervisor and had my presentation yesterday which accounts for 10% so thats 25% of the research project out of the way (well 40% if you account the conduct mark) I have a meeting in a week to get my first draft back with the comments leaving me a week to make changes before the final submission date :eek:
physicsphysics91
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Finished mine 8 weeks early, been proof-reading since. Preliminary feedback says I should be able to get a 1st. Had 25/30 pages done in January.
lozzielizzie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dissertation complete as of today, due Monday 25th April, so next week is proofreading and editing if needed. I got my sister proofreading it as well, to pick any spelling and grammar mistakes. Am not great at English due to dyslexia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ness'B
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can someone help me please with a research proposal on why don't people partake in crime? I have to provide a summary of some research designs and methods that have been used by previous researchers but when I do my research I only find theoretical explanations e.g. Rational choice, strain etc
lilGem
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lilGem)
Just submitted my first draft on time to my supervisor and had my presentation yesterday which accounts for 10% so thats 25% of the research project out of the way (well 40% if you account the conduct mark) I have a meeting in a week to get my first draft back with the comments leaving me a week to make changes before the final submission date :eek:
As I can't do anything until my meeting until Wednesday, solid revision until then :yep:
nicole,xox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of advice! I handed in my dissertation a few months ago and my friend pointed out the other day that I didn't reference my in text-citations properly. So instead of writing for example (John, 2013). I was saying my point and then putting a full stop before the citation like this. (John,2013) and moving on to the next sentence. I was wondering if anyone thinks/has experience of this having a massive affect on my mark??! My supervisor seen my work four times and never mentioned I was doing it wrong, so i'm gutted!
tinkerbell_xxx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lilGem)
Congrats! I'm so behind on mine :cry:
Roving Fish
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

:woo:
sham78612
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey could you please fill in my questionnaire its quite quick and it will help me out so much thank you https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1o56...mPEqg/viewform
Oce-SH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing a dissertation on Microfinance Banks and SMEs. I have a week till the submission deadline, and although I've reached the word limit, I'm freaking out . I don't think its ready (I'm aiming for a mark of 80%). Is there anyone that's done a dissertation in a similar subject? Help is much needed and will be appreciated!

P.s my tutor isn't much help.... it's not really her field, so she's kinda taken a laid back approach with me :/
Novascope
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I just wanted to say that I'm nervous af about my dissertation.

(In second year btw)
lilGem
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Novascope)
I just wanted to say that I'm nervous af about my dissertation.

(In second year btw)
I felt the same, but as time progressed even with the long hours in the lab and writing it up (submission on the 28th) I really enjoyed it, despite not being overly fond of the topic area I was given at the start
lozzielizzie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It easy to be nervous about dissertation, I was last year when thinking about mine. Yet as of now, I just got the last half to finish proofreading and then am ready for printing and binding, which I hope to have complete on Friday and will submit on Friday and not wait till Monday when it's due to submit and I will be glad when it's in and I can focus on my last two assignments. Plus am happy with what I written and think i will have done well on it, my sister thinks it's good and she proofread it for me and she been in my position. Am hoping for a 2.1 on it, as I really need a good grade, though I already have made a good start on the overall dissertation unit with a first on my poster which is worth 20% of the unit. I would love a first on my dissertation but don't think I will get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lozzielizzie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just submitted dissertation today, so happy and feeling relief that it's in and done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lozzielizzie)
Just submitted dissertation today, so happy and feeling relief that it's in and done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
:bl:

Well done!!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (446)
91.58%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (41)
8.42%

Watched Threads