Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What did people get in gcse mocks compared to real exams? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got mainly b's and a couple of c's. But then in my real exams i got all A* and A's

ReputationRep:
    mock exams are useless - there is *no* incentive to try hard, because to try hard is infinitely more stressful than not trying hard and getting bad results, because the bad results, if you don't try, mean nothing, if you know you never worked! and what good are mock exam results if you *knew* you had to work really hard (predictably) to get them? what good is that information? of course you're going to get higher results if you try hard! you don't have to work really hard just to understand that basic fact, so there's no point in trying in the first place because what you get in return is useless. it's like working out a really challenging maths problem not using a calculator, and then using a calculator later to find the exact same answer - you don't and shouldn't have to work hard for results you know are going to inevitably appear, to some extent. try hard in the real thing, but don't bother with mocks. they're totally pointless in my opinion. I say this as a Russell group uni student. flopping my mocks meant nothing if I didn't expect to get results I wasn't entitled to or cared about.
    so to answer the question: I got straight Ds in my mocks but mostly Bs in my real things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by easyaspirsquared)
    Mocks: 3A* 4A 3B
    Real Things: 5A* 5A

same applies to AS levels, ABCC in mocks and AAAB in real thing
    I have the same as you in mocks and real thing .. except for AS ABCCD and but AABBC in the real thing...

ReputationRep:
    i got between Ds and As for mocks (mostly cs and Bs) and for real gcses i got mostly As with few Bs and 1 C
    though i didnt revise much for mocks but did a lot for the real!

ReputationRep:
    Here's something to lighten your mood. In my mocks I got like all D's, when it came to the exams I passed everything! A's and B's is what I came out with, don't doubt yourself!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 321cbfjpg)
    Hey i'm a current Yr 11 and i would really like to know about your revision technique for your GCSEs
    because i find it difficult to revise sometimes as i would stress over all the subjects i have to balance revision for.
    How did you balance revision for all the subjects?
    got a revision guide for science, rs, geography and read through them lol, never made things like "notes"
    past papers for math of course
    don't bother revising for things like lit and eng lang, easy stuff.
    start around feb holidays, should be fine, even if you start in easter you'll do well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    mock exams are useless - there is *no* incentive to try hard, because to try hard is infinitely more stressful than not trying hard and getting bad results, because the bad results, if you don't try, mean nothing, if you know you never worked! and what good are mock exam results if you *knew* you had to work really hard (predictably) to get them? what good is that information? of course you're going to get higher results if you try hard! you don't have to work really hard just to understand that basic fact, so there's no point in trying in the first place because what you get in return is useless. it's like working out a really challenging maths problem not using a calculator, and then using a calculator later to find the exact same answer - you don't and shouldn't have to work hard for results you know are going to inevitably appear, to some extent. try hard in the real thing, but don't bother with mocks. they're totally pointless in my opinion. I say this as a Russell group uni student. flopping my mocks meant nothing if I didn't expect to get results I wasn't entitled to or cared about.
    so to answer the question: I got straight Ds in my mocks but mostly Bs in my real things.
    Actually there is an incentive to try somewhat. Maybe not "bang-out revision", but at least a decent amount.
    No offence, but if I got D's and C's in my mocks I would have been ridiculed by my school, teachers, parents and would feel ashamed. Not revising is a stupid excuse for low grades and it doesn't work.
    Unless you are a highly intelligent pupil (which seems to be most of TSR in GCSE by the grades I see flung around), you won't do well if you don't take mocks seriously.
    As an example.. some people don't know "x^0 =1" in maths. Don't know how that's possible, but they clearly didn't revise at all and that is literally just laughable. When marking someone's GCSE maths and they get 15/100 as a teacher I'd be amused at how stupid they were. Especially if they didn't even bother to revise at all.
    Heck, if you are smart enough to get B's/A's/A*'s in your mocks without revision go for it. But if not, get revising.
    Mocks reveal weaknesses. It's like a past paper. No point going into the exam where you see a question they covered in your mocks and not knowing how to answer it.
    If you work very hard to get those results it's a sign that you aren't as smart as you think! It also means for your real GCSE's you need to keep up the intensity or you may end up disappointed.
    P.S mostly B's in your GCSE's isn't something to be that proud of when people are flashing around 100 A*'s here, I don't think you are the best person to be giving advice. Maybe you grew up for AS/A levels to get into a Russell group uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pereira325)
    Actually there is an incentive to try somewhat. Maybe not "bang-out revision", but at least a decent amount.
    No offence, but if I got D's and C's in my mocks I would have been ridiculed by my school, teachers, parents and would feel ashamed. Not revising is a stupid excuse for low grades and it doesn't work.
    why should you even care though if you know that you're capable of better grades via work? it's, again, like saying "I wonder what the answer to this hard maths problem is going to be" when you don't even care about the answer when the answer takes a long time and a lot of effort to calculate without a calculator. this is assuming you care about getting the most out of your time.

Unless you are a highly intelligent pupil (which seems to be most of TSR in GCSE by the grades I see flung around), you won't do well if you don't take mocks seriously.
    As an example.. some people don't know "x^0 =1" in maths. Don't know how that's possible, but they clearly didn't revise at all and that is literally just laughable. When marking someone's GCSE maths and they get 15/100 as a teacher I'd be amused at how stupid they were. Especially if they didn't even bother to revise at all.
    Heck, if you are smart enough to get B's/A's/A*'s in your mocks without revision go for it. But if not, get revising.
    Mocks reveal weaknesses. It's like a past paper. No point going into the exam where you see a question they covered in your mocks and not knowing how to answer it. If you work very hard to get those results it's a sign that you aren't as smart as you think! It also means for your real GCSE's you need to keep up the intensity or you may end up disappointed.

yes, but the price of revealing those weaknesses isn't proportional or greater than the reward of finding out about those weaknesses, because hard work really sucks, unless you have a boring life.

P.S mostly B's in your GCSE's isn't something to be that proud of when people are flashing around 100 A*'s here, I don't think you are the best person to be giving advice. Maybe you grew up for AS/A levels to get into a Russell group uni
    of course I "changed" (not grew up) for a levels, because they actually meant something and were worth the effort. nobody in 30 years time is going to be asking me about my mocks in a job interview, and nobody even now, regarding university, cared either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punkrockfan)
    got a revision guide for science, rs, geography and read through them lol, never made things like "notes"
    past papers for math of course
    don't bother revising for things like lit and eng lang, easy stuff.
    start around feb holidays, should be fine, even if you start in easter you'll do well
    I never made any notes for any of my subjects either, but it really depends what type of learner you are. People tell me I have some sort of "photographic memory", don't think that's exactly true, but whenever I read stuff, and concentrate about reading it, and read it a few times, I seem to remember it. Worked for my GCSE Spanish speaking and writing exams... Remembered my essay completely in one writing, felt really chuffed when I came out with full marks in it.
    TBH after doing An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men for English Lit, you can't actually take it so easy. You do need to put in time to truly understand the book/play and learn the quotes. Fancy words help too.
    I'll be honest English Lang was pretty much a joke of a GCSE. Don't even need to revise it at all, just need to have good common sense and know what to write... Past papers and mark schemes very useful here. Know exactly the exam "rubric" for each question to maximise your chances of achieving high marks!

Sooner you start the better, but with GCSE's it doesn't really matter. Understanding is the key concept; if you were able to understand how to answer questions on a topic a few months ago, with a little bit of revision you will be able to do it again! Resolve any issues, make sure you know why you lose marks... In every exam subject. Then you can improve next time

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

GCSEs will be over before you know it Start revising Feb/March.

I didn't do mocks in everything butI will tell you that I did no revision at all or literally like two nights before. Mock/real grade
    Geography A/A
    History A*/A*
    Economics A*/A*
    Physics B/A*
    Chemistry B/A*
    Biology C/A
    English lang A*/A
    Welsh lang B/A
    Welsh lit U/A
    French C/A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliviaJH)
    OKAY so I really want to know what other people got for their mocks GCSEs compared to their real ones in the summer, i feel really disheartened now because my first few haven't gone too well (im partway through). I didn't revise as much as i normally would because i had some other things going on and i am so so scared and worried because my target grades are high
    I got all B's (except Science I got a D :P) in my mocks and in GCSE I got all A's, and Sciences i got B overall. I didn't necessarily work as hard as i should've and so I shouls have got better results. I think everyone our age thinks not revising as much as they should won't make a difference, and I'm lazy! So honestly try your hardest I'm in A Level now and I'm struggling, honestly don't turn out like me and work hard!

ReputationRep:
    IGCSE Veteran; about everything improves by 1 grade if you can use the mocks as a way to identify what you don't know. Ended up with 8 A*s and 1 A way back in 2013.

ReputationRep:
    I never made any notes for any of my subjects either, but it really depends what type of learner you are. People tell me I have some sort of "photographic memory", don't think that's exactly true, but whenever I read stuff, and concentrate about reading it, and read it a few times, I seem to remember it. Worked for my GCSE Spanish speaking and writing exams... Remembered my essay completely in one writing, felt really chuffed when I came out with full marks in it.
    TBH after doing An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men for English Lit, you can't actually take it so easy. You do need to put in time to truly understand the book/play and learn the quotes. Fancy words help too.
    I'll be honest English Lang was pretty much a joke of a GCSE. Don't even need to revise it at all, just need to have good common sense and know what to write... Past papers and mark schemes very useful here. Know exactly the exam "rubric" for each question to maximise your chances of achieving high marks!

Sooner you start the better, but with GCSE's it doesn't really matter. Understanding is the key concept; if you were able to understand how to answer questions on a topic a few months ago, with a little bit of revision you will be able to do it again! Resolve any issues, make sure you know why you lose marks... In every exam subject. Then you can improve next time
    I am exactly the same, apart from the language, mine was French and Arabic (but native so doesn't count). I genuinely have no idea how people fail English language.

ReputationRep:
    Mocks were uh... an E and D and the rest mostly Cs...no As.Real GCSEs didn't fail any, mostly Bs, 4 As

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    why should you even care though if you know that you're capable of better grades via work? it's, again, like saying "I wonder what the answer to this hard maths problem is going to be" when you don't even care about the answer when the answer takes a long time and a lot of effort to calculate without a calculator. this is assuming you care about getting the most out of your time.

[/b]

yes, but the price of revealing those weaknesses isn't proportional or greater than the reward of finding out about those weaknesses, because hard work really sucks, unless you have a boring life.

of course I "changed" (not grew up) for a levels, because they actually meant something and were worth the effort. nobody in 30 years time is going to be asking me about my mocks in a job interview, and nobody even now, regarding university, cared either.
    I still don't fully understand what your first point is. I would care because it's an estimation of your potential. If I was a teacher and saw a pupil getting D's in their mocks, I would be very concerned. Especially if it was consistently that way. I would probably predict them a C in their real GCSE. If you were capable of getting A's with revision, then you should be. It messes up your predicted grades and makes it a lot harder for teachers to know your ability and help you improve on areas of weakness. They have been teaching for years, a student has only been doing GCSEs for two. If you screw up and get silly topics wrong they'll think you are a lost cause really and you will have loads of areas to revise as they'll think you are weak on all of that. If you do your mocks well, you can pick out your real areas of weakness and really get those under control.
    Like I said, if you are capable of getting A's or A*'s in your real GCSE and do end up getting them, then who cares what you get in your mock. Apparently, you weren't though, so your position of only revise for the final real exams doesn't exactly hold up well...

I don't know how you managed to do your AS/A-Levels but I'm doing them now and it feels like I have no life. It's going to be worth it when I get my results though, I know it. Same thing applies to my GCSES. I only did them once (don't have to retake unlike some other people), and can move on with my head up high knowing I have top grades. So yeah, the results really are quite important. Universities are starting to consider GCSE grades now with candidates having pretty much identical grades at A-Level, in order to narrow it down, so you need good ones. Also, in your CV you have to put your GCSE results. I dunno how I would feel 'about having crap GCSE's on mine. Hard work sucks, always, but the end reward is worth it. If you have to work hard to get A's and A*'s then do what you have to do, and if you don't, well congratulations on luck.

You are missing the point. Mocks help and can have a positive influence on how well you perform in the real exam. Mocks clearly mean nothing to anyone else except you.
    You only get out of mocks what you put in.
    Food for thought... what if you took your mocks more seriously? Think you could have shifted those B's into A's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punkrockfan)
    I am exactly the same, apart from the language, mine was French and Arabic (but native so doesn't count). I genuinely have no idea how people fail English language.
    It was really so sad in English lang for me on results day. Was soo looking forward to an easy A* but came out with an A! Be careful, kinda a luck draw. Apparently it was due to coursework grades being really good in my school (since everyone was heavily helped.. issues with coursework- everyone copies each other secretly and don't get caught!). They made the grade boundaries high in addition.
    Just out of general interest... how similar is Arabic to French :P?

ReputationRep:
    I still don't fully understand what your first point is. I would care because it's an estimation of your potential. If I was a teacher and saw a pupil getting D's in their mocks, I would be very concerned. Especially if it was consistently that way. I would probably predict them a C in their real GCSE. If you were capable of getting A's with revision, then you should be. It messes up your predicted grades and makes it a lot harder for teachers to know your ability and help you improve on areas of weakness. They have been teaching for years, a student has only been doing GCSEs for two. If you screw up and get silly topics wrong they'll think you are a lost cause really and you will have loads of areas to revise as they'll think you are weak on all of that. If you do your mocks well, you can pick out your real areas of weakness and really get those under control.
    Like I said, if you are capable of getting A's or A*'s in your real GCSE and do end up getting them, then who cares what you get in your mock. Apparently, you weren't though, so your position of only revise for the final real exams doesn't exactly hold up well...

I don't know how you managed to do your AS/A-Levels but I'm doing them now and it feels like I have no life. It's going to be worth it when I get my results though, I know it. Same thing applies to my GCSES. I only did them once (don't have to retake unlike some other people), and can move on with my head up high knowing I have top grades. So yeah, the results really are quite important. Universities are starting to consider GCSE grades now with candidates having pretty much identical grades at A-Level, in order to narrow it down, so you need good ones. Also, in your CV you have to put your GCSE results. I dunno how I would feel 'about having crap GCSE's on mine. Hard work sucks, always, but the end reward is worth it. If you have to work hard to get A's and A*'s then do what you have to do, and if you don't, well congratulations on luck.

You are missing the point. Mocks help and can have a positive influence on how well you perform in the real exam. Mocks clearly mean nothing to anyone else except you.
    Food for thought... what if you took your mocks more seriously? Think you could have shifted those B's into A's?
    it depends on how much faith you have in yourself (to do the real thing without mocks) and how valuable a mere estimate of your true abilities (inaccurate surely based on the limited incentive compared to the real thing) - if I think I'll do fine with work, then surely I don't need mocks to tell me this exact thing? I mean, I might do worse than I think, but I don't see mocks as the only way to realise this when you could simply get marked in your work in school by teachers to give you a general comprehension

ReputationRep:

Mocks don't reveal weaknesses; they reveal gaps in your knowledge. There'll be plenty of time to find your weaknesses in the 2 years after the GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, an A is still good^_^ and a couple of my friend's teachers marked their coursework and gave them feedback and were allowed to write it without memerising it etc but my teacher wouldn't and it wasn't fair but there wasn't much to do so😒😒 they came out w Cs and Bs so ye & arabic is very different, google it, different alphabet letters and all>.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
    Mocks I got 1 A*, 3A, 4B,4C,1D--->Real grades 5A*, 4A, 4B
    any tips for revision? im ****ting it

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.