Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Nottingham GEM (A101) 2016 Entry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, not so hopeful for my others so going to be hungry when I get there. Eye of the tiger time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomasPassion)
    All booked up for 24th am! Is this the everyone's last interview?
    It's my last interview - next week 😳😳
    Good luck everyone 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone, good luck to those who have got interviews, congrats to those who have already got they places and better luck next time to those who didnt make this time round. i am planning to apply for gem 2017 entry, and was hoping if anyone could help me with the preparation of the gamsat exam. thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahwais_mah)
    hi everyone, good luck to those who have got interviews, congrats to those who have already got they places and better luck next time to those who didnt make this time round. i am planning to apply for gem 2017 entry, and was hoping if anyone could help me with the preparation of the gamsat exam. thankyou
    Yo, GAMSAT (I don't think) is as bad as some people make out, especially if you have a science background. I'd recommend spending a lot of time consulting A-Level revision guides for Biology, Chemistry and Physics - I think I used the Letts guides which are quite comprehensive. Have a look at past exams if you can get hold of them (ACER provides them for a cost) and keep the question types in mind for revision. Griffith's GAMSAT guide (£30ish for a PDF download) is very useful in terms of advice/guidance and has some practice questions in it too. The essays are a little harder to prepare for, but there's a good quote generator that I came across - http://www.ellipsoid.org/gmi/random-quote-generator - which is good for simulating the types of quote-sets that you may come across in the exam. The first section is also a little hard to prepare for - just read a lot (newspapers, fiction, non-fiction) and think about what you are reading in terms of what is communicated by the writing styles etc. Also use any practice questions you can get hold of.

A lot of people recommend the 'Gold Standard' guide but it's quite a costly investment and I did okay without it. Although I have a science background and from what I've heard, it covers the science in a lot of depth so may make it easier if you don't have a science background.

Hope that's helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone drive? I'm debating whether or not to drive or to take the train and then a cab from the station - does anyone have any tips? My interview is at 11.10 and I'm coming from London so think it will be ok to go in the morning rather than staying the night, but if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated! thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Just withdrawn my application. Best of luck guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAM_GA)
    Did anyone drive? I'm debating whether or not to drive or to take the train and then a cab from the station - does anyone have any tips? My interview is at 11.10 and I'm coming from London so think it will be ok to go in the morning rather than staying the night, but if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated! thank you!
    Depends where in London you're travelling from. When's your interview? You could maybe have a look at the traffic situation at that time of the morning for the next few days and decide what's best?
    Have my interview next week, so haven't attempted the journey yet. Good luck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Just withdrawn my application. Best of luck guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You got what you wanted I assume? Congratulations and all the very best 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shassasing)
    You got what you wanted I assume? Congratulations and all the very best 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Managed to get into St Georges! Thanks, good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    Depends where in London you're travelling from. When's your interview? You could maybe have a look at the traffic situation at that time of the morning for the next few days and decide what's best?
    Have my interview next week, so haven't attempted the journey yet. Good luck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mines on Monday - I think I've decided to get the train at 8am, might be less stressful than worrying about driving and getting lost, which I am prone too! Good luck for yours next week too, I hope all goes well!!

ReputationRep:
    We're in the same interview slot

Final interview and then back to the waiting game for replies.

Good luvk everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuronerd)
    We're in the same interview slot

Final interview and then back to the waiting game for replies.

Good luvk everyone
    Ah see you there! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to bring references from our work experience?

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to bring references from our work experience?
    I believe it was just degree certificate, ID and DBS form. Need to have copies of ID, can't remember if they wanted copies of certificates for them too. 😊
    Good luck for Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe it was just degree certificate, ID and DBS form. Need to have copies of ID, can't remember if they wanted copies of certificates for them too. 😊
    Good luck for Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perfect, thank you for your help! And good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    How were the interviews today? Also, to those that drove, how is the parking in the morning?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wl1)
    How were the interviews today? Also, to those that drove, how is the parking in the morning?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Parking was ok (I got there about 9.30), i managed to get a space. Not sure Nottingham really sold itself to me, we'll see.

So glad that this is all over now.

ReputationRep:
    I hope everyone is getting through the application process ok, I'm running out of ideas in terms of how to prepare for the interview. Does anyone know of any helpful websites with question banks or anything?
    Good luck to everyone still waiting for interviews and outcomes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jane-Ede)
    I hope everyone is getting through the application process ok, I'm running out of ideas in terms of how to prepare for the interview. Does anyone know of any helpful websites with question banks or anything?
    Good luck to everyone still waiting for interviews and outcomes!
    I'm afraid I don't have any secret sites other than the ones that come up in an internet search - the ISC one I believe has lots of questions on its website.

Hope your prep is going well. Good luck for your interview.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, so for those who've had their interviews (without breaking the confidentiality agreement!) how did it go?

I felt positive at the end aside from 1 or 2 tricky stations but since then I've been haunted by my answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.