Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Cricket Society IV watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Tip top stuff from Billings and Vince today. Especially the former, who really impressed with his contribution with both bat and his gloves in the second innings. It was questionable to play the exact same side as in the warm-up against UAE, but Plunkett was excellent with his bowling and his three wickets are a testament to his character and ability.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Phil Hughes. Always remembered.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it was a T20 match but after watching that and the recent ODI series against NZ, Australia and Pakistan, I think this England team is capable of something special. A lot of young and very talented players, they seem to be a good bunch of lads too, I actually enjoy watching this side play again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A great first day of the third Test between NZ and Australia in Adelaide.

The pink ball was well behaved, and I thought Australia's bowling performance was just excellent. The pink ball caused problems, but not too many, and the pitch was a beauty. I'm not sure whether that was because of the diminishing light, but the outfield looked lush and gorgeous at times too.

It is also great news that - on the first anniversary of Phil Hughes' death - wearing helmets will be mandatory for professional cricketers in England and Wales from next season.

Craig Kieswetter was also forced to retire from the game after he was struck in the face by a bouncer, remember, so Hughes wasn't an isolated incident and this isn't knee-jerk from the ECB, or Professional Cricketers’ Association.

The regulation change will apply to batsmen facing all types of bowling, wicketkeepers standing up to the wicket and fielders closer than eight yards from the batsman’s middle stump, except behind the wicket on the off side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    A great first day of the third Test between NZ and Australia in Adelaide.

The pink ball was well behaved, and I thought Australia's bowling performance was just excellent. The pink ball caused problems, but not too many, and the pitch was a beauty. I'm not sure whether that was because of the diminishing light, but the outfield looked lush and gorgeous at times too.

It is also great news that - on the first anniversary of Phil Hughes' death - wearing helmets will be mandatory for professional cricketers in England and Wales from next season.

Craig Kieswetter was also forced to retire from the game after he was struck in the face by a bouncer, remember, so Hughes wasn't an isolated incident and this isn't knee-jerk from the ECB, or Professional Cricketers’ Association.

The regulation change will apply to batsmen facing all types of bowling, wicketkeepers standing up to the wicket and fielders closer than eight yards from the batsman’s middle stump, except behind the wicket on the off side.
    Certainly a must in professional cricket. There's really no excuse for not wearing one while batting and fielding close in front of the bat and keeping, however, this seems like it will apply to leg slips to a spinner, which I find a little strange

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    One thing worth remembering regarding the Adelaide Test and the pink ball experiment. The crowd (47,000-strong) was - from what I saw, at least - made up predominantly of youngsters. That's wonderful to see.

You always fear the younger generation will learn to dismiss Test cricket, given wonderful spectacles like the IPL and Big Bash, but they seem to be loving the novelty of seeing it under the lights.

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear a positive start to the D/N Test - bit weird seeing the players have gone to dinner than lunch!

I think the D/N situations should be activated when say, overs are lost due to rain and play can continue under floodlights to recoup the overs lost. IDK if that's the plan with this Test for that to happen eventually or whether Tests will be advertised as D/N specifically..?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    IDK if that's the plan with this Test for that to happen eventually or whether Tests will be advertised as D/N specifically..?
    I think it's advertised as D/N specifically, which is a good gimmick for the Southern Hemisphere nations. But, I agree. It could definitely be rolled out elsewhere.

People can finish work and have an evening out afterwards in Australia, and the atmosphere is laid-back compared with ODIs and T20s, when it is like a carnival.

It's working. It really helped combat a lack of attendances, and beats having a morning start on work days and hardly anyone turning up to the game.

Day-night tests in SA and NZ will be similar.

Pink is the new black!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    England
    Roy, Hales, Vince, Root, Buttler, Billings, Willey, Woakes, Rashid, Plunkett, Parry.

Pakistan
    Mohmand, Shehzad, Hafeez, Malik, Akmal, Maqsood, Ahmed, Afridi, Ali, Tanvir, Riaz.

Morgan, Jordan, Moeen and Topley are the men left out for England. Jos Buttler will captain England.

ReputationRep:
    Only caught the action as Boom Boom was getting started but typically, gets unnecessarily out. Pakistan's teams in the shorter format give me no hope whatsoever, the results show the difference between them and the top teams sadly.

Final game and fully expect England to name their full strength team with Pakistan well, just putting in whoever.

ReputationRep:
    England team for the T20 next year?

Hales
    Roy
    Vince
    Root
    Morgan
    Buttler/Billings (wk)
    Plunkett
    Rashid
    Woakes/Topley
    Broad
    Anderson

Looking like a reasonable team...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Great result for England once again, and the most delightful thing is that it isn't even surprising given their recent form.

I questioned Morgan's absence, but it felt completely right to hand Buttler the captaincy - despite his inexperience - given he is one of the first names on the white ball team sheet given his ability and penchant for blockbuster innings.

Plunkett bowled exceptionally yesterday, make no mistake. I thought Rashid was man of the match, though. His bowling was supreme at times. Fair play to him.

Pakistan were poor in the field again, despite that stunning catch they took on the boundary.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Real shame to see Starc's summer over due to that stress fracture, by the way.

He should probably start managing his body better by being more sensible and not bowling as fast, in truth.

Hope he recovers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    BY THE WAY. Caught a bit of SA and India highlights, and I reckon Ashwin might be the best spin bowler in the world. The dismissal of ABDV was exceptional, and I can only think of Yasir Shah who is up there with him in terms of variety and talent.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    England
    Roy, Vince, Root, Ali, Morgan, Buttler, Billings, Woakes, Willey, Rashid, Jordan

Pakistan
    Mohmand, Shehzad, Hafeez, Malik, Rizwan, Akmal, Afridi, Yamin, Ali, Tanvir, Riaz

England win the toss and will bat first. Let's hope they can whitewash Pakistan.

I thought the pitch would turn, which means it's surprising Parry misses out along with Topley, Plunkett and Hales.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    s/o jordan

ReputationRep:
    Cairns found not guilty of perjury.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Jordan's super over was supreme. A real anti-climax of a finale, but Jordan handled the pressure well. I thought Morgan was an idiot for placing his trust in Jordan, but he proved him right with some great bowling and expertly crafted yorkers.

England whitewash the series, which is great to see. Pakistan have struggled in the field and between the wickets, with farcical run-outs time and time again. They aren't the force they once were, and are clearly struggling in terms of age and a lack of concentration.

The future is bright for English cricket in the shorter format, though. The white-ball seems to be treating us well, but a few questions remain before India next year. I imagine we'll take all three spinners, so who is left out? Some tough selection decisions to make for sure.

ReputationRep:
    You could say that any England win in any format should be celebrated, but I cannot get enthused about any T20 game. Winning a test series is much more important.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    You could say that any England win in any format should be celebrated, but I cannot get enthused about any T20 game. Winning a test series is much more important.
    English fans are in the minority thinking this these days, unfortunately.

Strauss has put a real emphasis on the shorter format, boosting our white-ball credentials, and the management deserves credit for the turnaround.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 25, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.