Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should i pick philosophy at A levels even though i am a muslim? watch

ReputationRep:
    Am a Muslim and I took philosophy. I do pratice the my deen on a daily basis. So prayer, dua etc. Prior to picking philosophy as an A level I also had the same thoughts. But I believed I could overcome any comments made in the classroom and it's just class talk (to me anyway.) Having said that, philosophy doesn't only critique God but there's a lot of supporting evidence to support his existence through the ontological argument, design, cosmology etc. Just like a normal debate where you have an opposing and proposing side. As you get to know more about at A level and might have touched upon at GCSE. I would encourage you to take RE because the philosophy and ethics in it. I believe is vital in a persons life. It also allows you to obtain different perceptives of different issues and you get to learn how other people respond to certain situations. Related to religion of course. RE lastly, unlike other subjects provides you with analytical and logical thinking skills. Good luck with the rest of your studies and I hope you do consider philosophy. PS I carried it on onto A2. And though there's certain topics that I find quite dull. It was a very good choice that I made by taking it.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is divided into various topics, one of which is Philosophy of Religion; arguments for and against the existence of God. During the crusades when my ancestors were hacking peoples heads off, Christian and Islamic scholars got together and shared ideas, theories and knowledge, a fair amount of which actually came from the Muslim side. Do philosophy.
    Other sections include Epistemology: the study of knowledge (rationalist or empiricist) probably one of the oldest debates in philosophy, many rationalists express a belief in god.
    Later you might do Political philisophy (which has minimal religious stuff, so no sin points there!)
    If you're smart and enjoy thinking (plus you actually belief in God) I'd recommend philosophy. Clearly you're concerned about committing sin but it sounds like you're pretty relaxed about that anyway so the topic you study shouldn't make a difference, unless it was like an A level in atheism or how to be a satanist.

Remember the academic method is all about theories and realising there might not always be one right or wrong answer (at lesst in Humanities "

*EDIT* only just seen your PS :/

ReputationRep:
    The greatest Philosophers were Muslims. To question a faith and find an answer is the best way to believe and strengthen your faith, without doing so you will lose all your faith if someone else points you to a faith which seems to have its questions answered

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallow28867)
    The greatest Philosophers were Muslims. To question a faith and find an answer is the best way to believe and strengthen your faith, without doing so you will lose all your faith if someone else points you to a faith which seems to have its questions answered

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The greatest philosophers of the immediate pre-medieval period, probably; but of all time???

Anyway, probably should have posted this before, but the Muslim philosopher Averroes argued that philosophy and religion are not incompatible. To paraphrase, "We accept that the Quran is true, but some parts of it are demonstrably false. The text is a poetic truth and must be interpreted using philsophical reasoning"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A muslim is a person who submits himself to Allah - so far so good.

Philosophers in general question the realities and 'truths' presented by people and books as well.

A person cannot submit himself to anyone without trusting them entirely and understanding that whatever they say is the truth. Until you do not question you are not on the truth. Blind faith is a difficult prospect.

Going on Rasulullah states that حسن السؤال نصف العلم
    A well asked question is half knowledge. Asking questions is needed to learn more. From a simple why, to a complex who.

Like Hank Green said in Crash Course philosophy; every action taken by a human tends to be philosophical.

I am Muslim, but I am told again and again to ask more, to question all I can in order to become more devout. I totally encourage you to take it.

ReputationRep:
    Pick philosophy and ditch islam entirely.

ReputationRep:
    I am Muslim and I do philosophy A-level, it is one of my favourite subjects and is incredibly intresting. I'm not quite sure why being a Muslim should Prevent you from studying philosophy, you don't have to agree with everything you learn, your not forced to say there is no God if you study this subject for example your not forced to say the Big Bang theory is correct if you study physics, you just learn it . The whole idea of philosophy looks at arguments for and against different ideas such as the existence in God, you then just basically put these theories in your essay, it's really that easy, but you need to make sure you remain completely objective and support any opinions with evidence from philosophers, if this is something you will find hard ( not being able to write about philosophers who disagree with the existence of God) then no I wouldn't do philosophy, but I don't see why you would feel that way ? Anyway, if you have any questions let me now

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    What a silly question. My philosophy tutorial teacher at university is a Catholic.

Also, this question suggests that you have no true reason for believing in God if your perception can be so easily changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zed1_.)
    I am currently doing my gcse's and i plan to do philosophy, psychology, economics and business studies at A level. However, despite my interest in philosophy i am quite worried about if it would break my islamic faith. I'll be honest, i don't actually follow the religion. I don't pray, i commit sins and so on but i am happy being a muslim but i am concerned as to whether the theories and questions of god's existence will destroy my faith.

Thanks.
    Honestly, you have the right to make up your own mind about things like religion. Just because you were born into a Muslim family don't feel like you must always remain that way. Does it really matter if you decide you don't believe in god? Is it actually going to change your life so much that you'd rather live a life of blind and zealous ignorance? Why are you so worried about it "destroying your faith" anyway?

All "destroying faith" actually amounts to is putting aside unjustified belief and thinking logically about the problem - which is the only way to approach anything properly. It means that you're not just another sheep, you're an individual who's free from the strict doctrines of religions/cults and has finally gained the ability to think for themselves. There is no greater achievement than breaking free from the influence of others and using nothing but pure logic and empirical evidence to make decisions.

You should really get out of the habit of classifying/labeling people too. We're all human beings - what else matters? Nothing, that's what. You don't need to be a Muslim to be happy, in fact it's quite obvious that you're not happy as a Muslim. You're clearly worried about how your faith contradicts with modern ideas and I bet you're also worried about how others will perceive you if you stopped being a Muslim. Being truly happy requires nothing more than being yourself - even if those around you don't like you that way. If people don't accept you for who you actually are then they aren't worth your time. There's plenty of people out there who don't care what you do/don't believe in and who will like you for being you, you should spend time with them instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zed1_.)
    It's not questioning my belief thats preventing me from choosing the subject its the possiblity that it will promote athiesm in me. Having doubts is acceptable in islam otherwise i'd be blindly following a religion for the sake of it.
    What is wrong with atheism? Really? Atheists are people who when asking the question "does god exist?" took a good look at the actual empirical evidence for both sides and through logical reasoning and objective thinking came to the conclusion that he doesn't. There is nothing wrong with that. They have approached the question in the correct way and have made up their minds in the correct way too.

Does it really matter if you believe in a god or not? How on earth does that change your life in any way whatsoever? None and none. Like I said before, we're all human beings. Nothing else matters at all, if you go around judging people based on what they believe then you are just as low as Hitler.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.