The Student Room Group

Hijab/Niqab/Burka at interviews

Scroll to see replies

Yes (first year).
Yes studying Biomedical Science at a university.
I'm continuing.
Reply 142
Seen many medical students who were the hijab and constantly work with the public in a very trust based field - never had problems.

Also a few who wear the niqab - who manage to get in through medical school interviews, so can't give across bad vibes as they are some of the hardest interviews?
Original post by Reformed
incorrect, the arabic for 'head ' is "raas" and is a very specific word as its used in many contexts in reference to head ie in beheading or shaving of head at hajj. This term or nothing like it is used in the verse he quotes 24:31.

and your understanding of ' Juyoobihinna ' is simplistic. it is the plural of
jaiyb (itself a derivative of the word jawb ie cutting/slit) which refers to the opening of the neckline of the old arabic dress - ie the low cut neck dow to bosom. so the commandment was to pull thier shawls (covers) across their necklines . again at no point is there further commandments to cover the heads or indeed the hair. These are later additions to islamic thought by your so called 'scholars' who wanted women to appear a certain way in public

assumption can lead you to errors.

we can show quite categorically they are not forced by the quran at all. they are compelled by islamic traditon however, becuase many hundreds of generations of ruling muslim males have imposed the idea that women should be fully covered ( sometimes head to toe) i guess to avoid tempting men, or certainly to reduce the greed of jealousy of one man coveting antoher mans wife ( property)

as i already stated above. however khimar in classical arabic doesnt mean anything to do with the head - it simply means 'cover' and has been used to mean cover for anything and everything - from tables to windows.

I'm not going to argue with you, but what you're saying is wrong. If you want to continue believing it then okay. I don't see why you need to argue against the hijab. The Qur'an commands women to cover up. The Prophet (saw) explained it further: women should only show their hands and faces in front of non-mahram men, and Allah (swt) commands us to listen to the teachings of the Prophet. Therefore, going by his teachings and Allah's (swt) commands, Muslim women are supposed to cover their hair, and everything else other than the hands and face.
Original post by yasminkattan
I'm not going to argue with you, but what you're saying is wrong. If you want to continue believing it then okay. I don't see why you need to argue against the hijab. The Qur'an commands women to cover up. The Prophet (saw) explained it further: women should only show their hands and faces in front of non-mahram men, and Allah (swt) commands us to listen to the teachings of the Prophet. Therefore, going by his teachings and Allah's (swt) commands, Muslim women are supposed to cover their hair, and everything else other than the hands and face.

you are paraphrasing / innovating on what was originally written - and this is how edicts go from one thing to another - ie orders to cover womens chest go to orders to cover womens head, hair & chest, to orders to cover womens head hair chest feet face hands etc till eventually you have women walking around with a sack over them. By that stage it would be easier simply to keep them indoors if its so important to keep their body parts out of public view,

you forget that after the quran islamic society has operated for over 1300 years and the hundreds of islamic leaders ( all men btw) have each had their inputs and re-interpretations added into the mix.

im not against the hijab at all, im simply of the view that it is not ordained in the quran andso its not an islamic requirement. you also dont seem to relaise that the theres no specific islamic argument for a muslim to make to wear one. 'hijab' or scarf, veils, even bukhas were all worn for hundreds of years before the quran in arabic society - headscarves even were worn by the ancient romans. none were islamic , they were culturally what women wore day to day , for various reasons - ie it was the fashion

im simply trying to explain to you what the verse actually said,the word used and their meaning, rather than simply regurgitating the justifcation to cover women up used by muslim males for the last few centuries
(edited 8 years ago)
Noone should be restricted from expressing their culture if it isnt an impediment to anything,.

But Practical point here- specifically on the niqab and full burkha -say interviewed Ayeesha and she knew her onions and therefore gave her the job. but one day she doesnt feel like going into work and sends her mate Fatima in her burkha instead- this is fraud. and how would anyone know?

its a slippery slope
Nah, I've not even finished my A Levels, just speaking hypothetically :smile:

But I have plenty of friends and relatives who wear hijab and abaya to work and they face no problems at all
I think it makes sense that employers would view those that turn up to an interview in a Niqab or Burka as less employable because they aren't showing their face. Don't see why they should have a problem with Hijabs though
Original post by hudamh

Hijab wearing barristers are practically non existent, and I fear that the reason is because they are immediatley written off if they wear the hijab. In 21st century Britain, surely we can accept brilliantly intelligent and academic hijab wearers?
When I apply to become a barrister in the near future, I'd want to be judged based on my ability to reason and to put forward an arguement, and not based on my appearence.

you cant write this all off to prejudice of the hijab - that would be lazy, you should know this being a law student

there is also the issue that the islamic community in the uk has traditionally underperformed in producing numbers of top edicational candidates ( compared to perhaps others)

and perhaps the bigger issue in terms fo female muslim- is that islamic tradition and culture does nothing to encourage girls to acheive levels of higher education and aim for high profile and high earning jobs. often high performing muslims have had to by-pass islamic tradition, and perhaps adopt more western style modernist approach to education to acheive above male contemporaries
Hijab is fine. I guess it'd depend on the type of job for the niqab or burka
I hope you don't mind if I don't give too many details as I'd like to maintain as much anonymity as possible. But it was in front office financial services for an international bank. The position was entry-level, research work (mostly working with senior analysts and associate to do financial models and to plug into reports). I never worked directly with them, but was asked to interview them to give a different opinion.

I left the company a little while back to take on another role. I am still in touch with their boss (odd e-mail and messages here and there). They are indeed still there, but I don't know if they've been promoted. They were talented so I would be surprised if they weren't.

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to this. I'll ask next time I speak to their boss :smile:

You're welcome. I just want to say that discrimination will happen but more than anything they should focus on trying to be the best person they can be and to keep trying. Disagreement is part and parcel of being a diverse community but as long as both parties can work well together and add value, then faith and personal choices should not come in the way. Whether this actually happens or not is an entirely different debate :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh, thank you. I don't wear the hijab myself though, despite being from a conservative muslim background :smile:
Original post by Reformed
you cant write this all off to prejudice of the hijab - that would be lazy, you should know this being a law student

there is also the issue that the islamic community in the uk has traditionally underperformed in producing numbers of top edicational candidates ( compared to perhaps others)

and perhaps the bigger issue in terms fo female muslim- is that islamic tradition and culture does nothing to encourage girls to acheive levels of higher education and aim for high profile and high earning jobs. often high performing muslims have had to by-pass islamic tradition, and perhaps adopt more western style modernist approach to education to acheive above male contemporaries

This x100
Oh I'm just saying I have no problem with them wearing head covers/burqas if I was an employer/interviewing them
tbh, i think it is absolutely ridiculous that women should be judged and even told to take off their hijab or niqab! They are there only for the job that is it, they are not there to "promote" their beauty. Why should a woman need to take off her veil just for an interview, she should have that freedom to wear what she likes, something like a job interview should not stop a woman from covering herself.

Reply 155
Original post by mariam687
tbh, i think it is absolutely ridiculous that women should be judged and even told to take off their hijab or niqab! They are there only for the job that is it, they are not there to "promote" their beauty. Why should a woman need to take off her veil just for an interview, she should have that freedom to wear what she likes, something like a job interview should not stop a woman from covering herself.

You have probably never heard of the concept of a dress code. The business etiquette has always been to remove your head covering while at work, unless it is a part of a uniform, or if you work outside.

I can make memes too.

You will find people with this gear will just be accepted regardless of their ability to meet the quotas
Regardless, employers aren't allowed to discriminate against religious coverings.
Original post by Josb
You have probably never heard of the concept of a dress code. The business etiquette has always been to remove your head covering while at work, unless it is a part of a uniform, or if you work outside.

I can make memes too.

Ok yes, theres a dress code I understand but think about it, its religion we're talking about. If Islam teaches a woman to cover herself then she should be allowed to, dress code shouldn't need to interfere.
People take religion seriously and companies/organisations should accept it and in fact they should respect it.
A woman should not be told they can't get a job due to such a petty reason such as how they dress it's about their intentions and actions :smile:
Reply 159
Ok yes, theres a dress code I understand but think about it,
its religion we're talking about. If Islam teaches a woman to cover herself then she should be allowed to,

This is your interpretation. As it has been proven on this thread, nowhere in the Koran it is written that you should cover your hair. Most female Muslims didn't cover their hair before the 80s, they weren't less Muslim.

Head covering is a prescription of some radical Muslim sects. I think that tolerating their views is a regression.

dress code shouldn't need to interfere.
People take religion seriously and companies/organisations should accept it and in fact they should respect it.
A woman should not be told they can't get a job due to such a petty reason such as how they dress it's about their intentions and actions :smile:

Living in society implies making some concessions to your lifestyle. I don't dress like I want when I go to work, I don't see why Muslims cannot do the same.

It's not against Islam, I would think the same of Jews that keep their kippa, or atheists that wear a cap.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending