The Student Room Group

My AS level study log- path to 4A's!

Scroll to see replies

03/05/2016

Feels like ages since I last did a whole day at school! I feel a bit tired but I'm just going to push on and work, starting at 6 with a physics past paper. I'm then going to watch the Champions League, then do some Core 1 questions after.

Physics- Completed. Spend 1.5 hours doing and marking a past paper, which I got an A on!

Maths- Completed. Did during school.

Too tired to do the maths tonight. I have 2 study periods tomorrow, so I'll catch up on it then.

EDIT: Now done the maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
04/05/2016

Trying not to let my eyes shut, I'm very tired. I have an M1 paper and some Core 1 questions to do this evening, so wish me luck. It's also 2 weeks today until my first exam (Core 1).

Maths- Completed. Spent about 1 hour and 15 minutes doing and marking an M1 paper, which I got 68/75 on. Pretty bad score, but it was a hard paper. Did some core 1 questions too.
(edited 7 years ago)
05/05/2016

Sorry for updating slightly late today, but it was such lovely weather that I spent my 'free time' outside rather than on TSR! Today I had down to do some chemistry notes and french vocab, so see the summaries below.

Chemistry- Completed. Finished the notes in about an hour, then did a few flashcards on things I wanted to add to my knowledge (not entirely sure if they're required). I then tested myself on almost all of the flashcards I've made over the year. I did 1.5 hours in total on this.
(edited 7 years ago)
06/05/2016

I am absolutely boiling, it's been a lovely day, but perhaps slightly too hot. I've only got maths (Core 2) to do tonight, will probably be about 2.5 hours in total, as I'm doing a past paper and some questions.

Maths- Completed. Done the Core 2 questions, which took just under an hour. Finished core 2 paper, on which I got 72
(edited 7 years ago)
07/05/2016

Looks like it's going to be a great weekend, so I'll try and alternate between revising and being outside in the sun (top tip- this boosts your mood, will make you enjoy your day more, and is just generally healthy). Today I have chemistry notes to do, a Core 1 paper to do, some more core 2 questions, some french vocab, and I'll also try to do half of my homework today (probably french hw today).

Chemistry-Completed. Took about 45 minutes to write up notes on this topic.

Maths- Completed. Done a core 1 paper, got 75/75. Also done some core 2 questions.

French- Completed. Did a quick bit of vocab.
(edited 7 years ago)
08/05/2016

Last week of school before the exam season starts for real! Tonight I'm going to be doing a lot of chemistry (2 sets of notes), and maybe some french or physics homework. At school today I probably did about 2 hours of mechanics practice.

Chemistry- Completed. Done an hour and a half on the first set of notes. Spent another hour on the second set.
(edited 7 years ago)
10/05/2016

Today's post is just going to be short and snappy. I've got some Core 2 questions and a weeny bit of french vocab to do on my lis, however I'll probably do some extra french (already done 30 extra minutes today) and some extra maths (already done 40 extra minutes). Tomorrow I'm going to do a pretty long post detailing where I'm at, how I'm feeling, etc.

Maths- Completed. Did just under an hour of Core 2 questions (I have now finished the pack that I was given with these questions).

French- Completed. Did some vocab.

Maths (Additional)- Completed. Spent about 1.25 hours in total doing a very hard maths paper (Core 1) made by a website, on which I got 61/75.

French (Additional)- Completed. Did some listening and writing exercises.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 147
Have you got a link to that maths paper?
11/05/2016

I'm at home today, so I can do some extra study. I'm going to write the long part of my post now too.

Basically, it's now 1 week until my first exam (Core 1), and then I have 3 more exams the week after. I'm not nervous (yet), but I'm still slightly worried that there could be 1 question that comes up and ruins my paper, or making a very stupid mistake (such as reading or calculator mistakes).

So exams before the holidays are Core 1, Breadth in Physics, Core 2, and Inorganic/Physical chemistry. Core 1 and Core 2 I'm definitely okay with content-wise; again it's just the worry of a weird question or mistake. For physics, I really don't know how to feel, but I'm going to be going over all the content thoroughly, doing a few more past papers, etc. With the chemistry it's only half of my AS topics on this paper- so I can do nice, focused revision.

Lastly, I just want to say thank you to those of you who have left supportive comments or even pm'd me to say how I've helped you, it's really appreciated.

Today's work:

Maths- Completed. Did a Core 1 solomon paper, got about 70/75.

Chemistry- Completed. Did the specimen paper (Paper 1) for AQA (I'm edexcel) and got 86%, so pretty happy. It was pretty similar to the topics that we do. Took about 1.5 hours.

Maths (Additional)- Completed. Did about 50 minutes on a really hard maths paper, which eventually got too hard and I stopped. Then did 45 minutes of mechanics.
(edited 7 years ago)
12/05/2016

6 days. Not feeling too much pressure yet, but even if if I got 75/75 on all 7 of the C1 papers I have yet to do before my exam, I'm still going to be bricking it. However today I'm completely ignoring C1 (that's kind of a lie, I did 30 minutes of really hard C1 questions earlier), as I have chemistry notes and a core 2 paper to do.

Maths- Completed. Spend 1.5 hours doing and marking the June 2014 Core 2 paper. I got 70/75. All 5 marks were dropped on 1 question that I just couldn't work out how to do.

Chemistry- Completed. Spent just over an hour writing up some notes on kinetics.
(edited 7 years ago)
have many exams do you have all together and are they spread out?
what board do you do for physics?
Reply 153
Original post by Vaughan-the-ox
Oh my jolly good chap I am glad you asked.

My point is that the best way to achieve such results is to have extensive financial options at your fingertips. Like myself. Vaughn has disposable income, that is why I will achieve 8 A*'s in my A levels.

Hope this aided you my good fellow.

Or you could not be a spoilt little bitch and go and you things for yourself...
Original post by MJS107
Or you could not be a spoilt little bitch and go and you things for yourself...

he's just trying to troll, leave him
Original post by taratom
what board do you do for physics?

I'm on OCR A

Original post by OddFuturez
have many exams do you have all together and are they spread out?

Core 1 next week (wed). Then Core 2, and my first physics and chemistry exams the week after (tue, wed, fri). Then a week of half term. Then the first week back I have French, M1, and my second physics and chemistry papers (mon, wed, thurs, fri)
Original post by richpanda
I'm on OCR A

Core 1 next week (wed). Then Core 2, and my first physics and chemistry exams the week after (tue, wed, fri). Then a week of half term. Then the first week back I have French, M1, and my second physics and chemistry papers (mon, wed, thurs, fri)

what maths board
Original post by The gains kinggg
what maths board

edexcel
Original post by richpanda
edexcel

do you thibk c1 and c2 will be the hardest thus far?
Original post by The gains kinggg
do you thibk c1 and c2 will be the hardest thus far?

core 1 was easy last year- so I think core 1 may be quite hard, but I'm not expecting anything too horrendous (touch wood). I think the core 2 will just be a standard core 2, perhaps slightly harder than usual.

Having said that, don't worry about how 'hard' the paper is. Unless you find it hard and everyone else finds it easy, then there's no problem as the grade boundaries will just be lower, and the top grades given to the top percentile of students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending