Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you marry someone that doesn't share your religious beliefs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    If you choose belief over love then you should reevaulate your life choices
    Lol what the hell....this is not even the question

It's saying would you choose to marry someone who differed in religion to you not would you reject someone you were already in love with over religion?

Also, love although important is not everything, it's important to look at things practically as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I would have rather have had my 'indoctrination' and my mothers Christian influence on my life growing up now that I have a relationship with Jesus and I'm 100% sure I'm going to heaven than to be brought up in other faith, have no assurance of where I'm going after I die and when I die, go to hell.

I wouldn't teach my kids about Santa either tbf, but then, you being an atheist, are probably now going to ask what's the difference between Jesus and Santa, aren't you

This is the point where I tell you this is why I couldn't be married to an atheist and this is why it wouldn't work out between me and an atheist
    No, I was brought up in a (lightly) Christian family and I get why people believe in gods; because it's somewhere to place faith (I mean let's be honest, who actually has any faith in humanity?), plus it's a way of explaining stuff. But l like I've said many times: I grew up getting bullied like there was no tomorrow. That made me think to myself "why do I still believe in this *******?" So as I grew curious I researched more religions and found they all say pretty much the same stuff; I researched mythology and it seemed more believable than the religion I'd been taught. I researched science and science made sense; it followed the same logical way of thinking as I did, so I grew an understanding of the subject very quickly. My understanding of science kept on leading to me spotting flaws in the religion, inaccurate texts and what seemed like blatant lies. That's why I'm an atheist, because I just simply don't know what the truth is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    The holy scripture of my religion tells me as such:

JUST DO IT!
    -Shia Labeouf 1:1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    No, I was brought up in a (lightly) Christian family and I get why people believe in gods; because it's somewhere to place faith (I mean let's be honest, who actually has any faith in humanity?), plus it's a way of explaining stuff. But l like I've said many times: I grew up getting bullied like there was no tomorrow. That made me think to myself "why do I still believe in this *******?" So as I grew curious I researched more religions and found they all say pretty much the same stuff; I researched mythology and it seemed more believable than the religion I'd been taught. I researched science and science made sense; it followed the same logical way of thinking as I did, so I grew an understanding of the subject very quickly. My understanding of science kept on leading to me spotting flaws in the religion, inaccurate texts and what seemed like blatant lies. That's why I'm an atheist, because I just simply don't know what the truth is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe your faith was less strong to begin with then, I got bullied somewhat violently in high school, I don't know how badly it would compare to your experiences or even if experiences such as bullying can or should be compared. Despite being bullied I was always 100% confident there was a God, even if I wasn't quite sure which God it was. Then I became a Christian properly and became sure that the God I always felt in my heart that was real was the Christian god.

Funniest thing was I had always enjoyed science, chemistry in particular, to the extent I always got A's and A*'s in it at GCSE and beyond. I'm a university chemistry student and my faith is as strong as it's ever been and I know other Christians like myself who have studied science beyond high school level.

I'm not about to start preaching here; just to point out, as far as I know, Christianity is the only faith which doesn't encourage works to get into heaven, most other religions do. To get into heaven in Christianity you have to believe in Jesus and that's it
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Maybe your faith was less strong to begin with then, I got bullied somewhat violently in high school, I don't know how badly it would compare to your experiences or even if experiences such as bullying can or should be compared. Despite being bullied I was always 100% confident there was a God, even if I wasn't quite sure which God it was. Then I became a Christian properly and became sure that the God I always felt in my heart that was real was the Christian god.

Funniest thing was I had always enjoyed science, chemistry in particular, to the extent I always got A's and A*'s in it at GCSE and beyond. I'm a university chemistry student and my faith is as strong as it's ever been and I know other Christians like myself who have studied science beyond high school level.

I'm not about to start preaching here; just to point out, as far as I know, Christianity is the only faith which doesn't encourage works to get into heaven, most other religions do. To get into heaven in Christianity you have to believe in Jesus and that's it
    I've seen one or two verses in the old testament which are a bit, well I don't usually get affected by books but I struggled getting through those pages

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've seen one or two verses in the old testament which are a bit, well I don't usually get affected by books but I struggled getting through those pages

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was it the usual culprit verses in Deutronomy and Exodus? Those always get people
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Was it the usual culprit verses in Deutronomy and Exodus? Those always get people
    Can't remember which verses but they basically requested the crusades

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't remember which verses but they basically requested the crusades

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probably were some where in that region of the OT, then. I'm happy to explain it for you but we are derailing the thread quite a bit here. I'm gunna go for a bath and then I'll PM you, if you want.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Probably were some where in that region of the OT, then. I'm happy to explain it for you but we are derailing the thread quite a bit here. I'm gunna go for a bath and then I'll PM you, if you want.
    Go for it, but I'm ready for bed so probably won't read till morning

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would, yes. It depends on the person and how far they would want to push their religion into my life, like trying to convert me or make me follow their practises which aren't mine. These are all things you'd talk about when becoming more serious in a relationship. Their expectations and your expectations, establishing boundaries and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, uhf cors, vuhrïuhtee iz thuh spïs uhf lïf. Az long az it duzuhn't cuhnflict dïrectlee with eny practicuhl aspects uhf deylee lïf then it shüduhnt rëlee mattuh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    Lol what the hell....this is not even the question

It's saying would you choose to marry someone who differed in religion to you not would you reject someone you were already in love with over religion?

Also, love although important is not everything, it's important to look at things practically as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you new to TSR or something?

I can read perfectly fine, you won't get rep for being clever.

ReputationRep:
    no i wouldnt

ReputationRep:
    I would, religion is BS so they will soon see I am right.

ReputationRep:
    depends if they were preachy or it affected them or their life. if they believed in god we could agree to disagree... if they were a practising religious person it would probably make it more difficult depending on their devotion. if they were muslim i am still eating bacon and sausages sorry

ReputationRep:
    I think religion and belief are two distinct things and people are confusing two different things. Religion, if you accept the term (many do not because it's a Euro-Christian analytical category imposed onto faiths as diverse as Buddhism to Islam. The term assumes characteristics, traits, habits and hierarchies, which mirror or are so similar they could mirror each other. But these assumption are based entirely on a Western Latin Church model and not on the internal dynamics of other faiths. This is an important caveat), does not merely signify belief and what you believe is not the only thing that is important (unlike what Protestant discourse assumes). indeed religion is often about community, lineage, land, social custom, politics, public discourse and welfare, in addition to what you personally believe.

Believing in God does not mean believing in religion, religion is often about human activity rather than a profession of belief in God. But religious and belief systems are far from monolithic, probably the greatest cardinal sin of the term religion, is the implied assumption of monolithic entity. Most people here are unlike to have studied a page of every single sacred faith text from different faith traditions (assuming the faith tradition in question has one), yet they feel confident enough to issue judgement on every single belief system from Shintoism to Sufism. They can only do so because of the narrative that religion as a analytical category lends itself.

Perhaps a Muslim girl by faith rather than by religion could have a beautiful relationship with an Atheist man by default rather than by identity. After all, personal beliefs are personal beliefs, but this can never happen or ever be known if pre-judgement are made.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    That's not true: the Roman Catholic Church believes in faith AND works, not just faith alone. Unless you're one of these people who think the Catholics aren't Christians... :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    That's not true: the Roman Catholic Church believes in faith AND works, not just faith alone. Unless you're one of these people who think the Catholics aren't Christians... :hmmm:
    Ummm.... Well...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ummm.... Well...
    Haha, don't answer that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Are you new to TSR or something?

I can read perfectly fine, you won't get rep for being clever.
    I wasn't trying to get rep m8 loool

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.