ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack354)
    Reducing agent H2/Ni- to protonate the inner ring

CH2

goes from 120 to 109.5
    ah ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbh16)
    A trimer is a polymer with only 3 monomers in it, the answer to this question is basically the product formed in step 3 but with an extra monomer of ethanal added.
    so it should look like this i think: Attachment 549033
    Please could you explain why there is another -OH group in the trimer? As far as I see it the molecule X is an aldehyde with a hydroxyl group and ethanal is being added to it so there should be only one OH?

ReputationRep:
    Do they ever actually require specific temperatures and pressures when naming conditions or is "high temperature" for examples always sufficient?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack354)
    Reducing agent H2/Ni- to protonate the inner ring

CH2

goes from 120 to 109.5
    How did you get ch2 as the ef i dont get it - i did the pp last nyt i got c3h6 as the usuall molcular formula is c6h12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahsan_ijaz)
    How did you get ch2 as the ef i dont get it - i did the pp last nyt i got c3h6 as the usuall molcular formula is c6h12
    The empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio in whichthe atoms of each element in a compound are found.

The formula of cyclohexane is C6H12. Dividing each number of atoms by the smallest number (6) gives us CH2 as the empirical formula. CH2 cannot be further simplified to a whole number ratio and so is the simplest whole number ratio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splashoid)
    The empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio in whichthe atoms of each element in a compound are found.

The formula of cyclohexane is C6H12. Dividing each number of atoms by the smallest number (6) gives us CH2 as the empirical formula. CH2 cannot be further simplified to a whole number ratio and so is the simplest whole number ratio.
    I usually / by 2 to get the simplest ratio until you cant half anymore to get a simple number - just curios why it didnt work here

ReputationRep:
    I usually / by 2 to get the simplest ratio until you cant half anymore to get a simple number - just curios why it didnt work here
    Because 12 and 6 have a higher common factor than 2 of 6. So C6H12 ÷ 6 = CH2. Empirical is the *simplest* formula.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When you divide 6/2 you get 3 which is an odd number. Dividing by two each time would only work if you had a ratio of even numbers.

ReputationRep:
    the mark scheme called the ester (1)-methylethyl ethanoate, however i didn't put the(1) as i didn't think it was needed as the methyl group couldn't come off anywhere else, would i get the mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaarrss)
    the mark scheme called the ester (1)-methylethyl ethanoate, however i didn't put the(1) as i didn't think it was needed as the methyl group couldn't come off anywhere else, would i get the mark?
    If the one was in brackets then I think you can still get the mark

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VokeA)
    If the one was in brackets then I think you can still get the mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you! i thought so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaarrss)
    thank you! i thought so
    You're welcome

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    c3h6 cancels down to ch2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aerosmith)
    Please could you explain why there is another -OH group in the trimer? As far as I see it the molecule X is an aldehyde with a hydroxyl group and ethanal is being added to it so there should be only one OH?
    here you go: Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 20.51.33.png
Views: 218
Size:  76.3 KB You basically have to repeat the steps to add another monomer. I forgot to put a OH- which is formed as well on the last step

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilly1234567890)
    (i) Outline a mechanism for the dehydration of butan-2-ol into but-l-ene.
    this for example^. its not in the book is it?
    Is this elimination?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbh16)
    Is this elimination?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbh16)
    Is this elimination?
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Windowswind123)
    Do they ever actually require specific temperatures and pressures when naming conditions or is "high temperature" for examples always sufficient?
    good question, i dont think you need to specify the temperture

ReputationRep:
    What do we need to know about the M+1 peak?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NobodyCares)
    Methylethyl 3-methylbutanoate
    I'm 95% sure you can't have "methly" twice in a IUPAC name

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.