Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Government spends £9.3m of YOUR money on EU Propaganda leaflets Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by googleit)
    Are you kidding? £9.3 million is absolute peanuts.
    Try telling that to the people with a £7m budget.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by paul514)
    Indeed also on the point of fairness this won't be lived down by the remain camp after a remain vote as leave will say you outspent us on one leaflet shot before the campaign ever started

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be fair there is absolutely nothing stopping the leave camp from doing an identical mailshot in the pre-campaign period, so long as they can get the funds together. I've already had several leaflets from both sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Bryant also showed that he doesn't read the times or telegraph
    I read both, and whilst they are more objective than the Mail/ Express they certainly err towards brexit.

So you're telling me that the UN is the benefits regulator? The electoral commission isn't just a public body, it is THE REGULATOR. BTW,
    Who have said this on their official page:

“The Electoral Commission is responsible for regulating the rules on spending in the run-up to the EU Referendum. The rules on spending apply during the regulated period which starts on 15 April and ends on polling day, 23 June. The rules exclude spending that is met out of public funds, which includes spending by the government on the government information booklet.“After the referendum on Scottish independence, the Electoral Commission recommended that governments should conduct no taxpayer-funded advertising activity during the regulated period. However, Parliament decided not to put any legal restrictions on government activity until 28 days before the poll, 27 May. These are the same rules that were in place for other recent referendums.”Ends

is this the same UN that has China and Zimbabwe lecturing the west over human rights issues because of minor gay rights details and stuff
    Those are member states of the UN not an actual UN representative.

ReputationRep:
    Try telling that to the people with a £7m budget.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is ridiculous. One of the great things about the UK is the lack of money in campaigning politics - American's would be laughing at people getting butt hurt over 9 million fgs come on.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I read both, and whilst they are more objective than the Mail/ Express they certainly err towards brexit.
    I cannot say I read the times much, but when I do I tend to find it has a rather liberal and slight pro EU bias, as for the telegraph, if you avoid the letters section it largely depends on who is writing the article as to the swing, but I also find it to be alike a watered down FT, somewhat objective and a slight in tinge

Those are member states of the UN not an actual UN representative.
    With the comments coming through UN bodies they sat on at the time.

Again, are the UN the regulators?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This is ridiculous. One of the great things about the UK is the lack of money in campaigning politics - American's would be laughing at people getting butt hurt over 9 million fgs come on.
    In America all you have to do is scale the money up, say the government spent a billion or two instead of 9m, the point is that the spending greatly exceeds the spending limit of the official campaigns

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In America all you have to do is scale the money up, say the government spent a billion or two instead of 9m, the point is that the spending greatly exceeds the spending limit of the official campaigns

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's fair, it exceeds the spending limit, but what is frustrating is how this has a) been blown out of proportion and b) being used somehow as an argument to leave to EU.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That's fair, it exceeds the spending limit, but what is frustrating is how this has a) been blown out of proportion and b) being used somehow as an argument to leave to EU.
    It's been "blown out of proportion" because even half the in campaign see it as desperation, at the very least unfair; as for leaving, you again get the desperation element, Cameron needing to use our money to tell us how to vote by spreading mass misinformation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's been "blown out of proportion" because even half the in campaign see it as desperation, at the very least unfair; as for leaving, you again get the desperation element, Cameron needing to use our money to tell us how to vote by spreading mass misinformation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The 3 million figure (about links to EU exports) is a bit dubious, but virtually all others are okay. Some are based on assumptions and 'governmental judgement', but where they are, this is clearly stated.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The 3 million figure (about links to EU exports) is a bit dubious, but virtually all others are okay. Some are based on assumptions and 'governmental judgement', but where they are, this is clearly stated.
    There is a lot of dubiousness involved, even from just the little bits I've seen

ReputationRep:
    100k people have signed a petition, I will be posting mine back to David Cameron and I urge you to do the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deta18dy)
    100k people have signed a petition, I will be posting mine back to David Cameron and I urge you to do the same
    Yep I'm doing the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    no if you are gonna have a referendum there has to be fairness otherwise it kind of becomes pointless. The parties have already established the money that can be spent on the referendum. They have come up with this before the rules kick in as a way of gaining an unfair unvantage.
    Exactly!! The whole point of a referendum is it is beyond politician's control and the people decide. So I recommend anyone who wants to see real change and not go along with the political class, votes out this summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    To be fair there is absolutely nothing stopping the leave camp from doing an identical mailshot in the pre-campaign period, so long as they can get the funds together. I've already had several leaflets from both sides.
    But it's not going to be taxpayer funded.

ReputationRep:
    1) Tax money isn't your money, it's the government's money. You didn't donate it, you don't have any right to it.

2) After the success of the Conservatives' 'No to AV' leaflets, a mindblowing leaflet of completely made up lies causing a 30% swing, of course they're going to do it again. Whichever sides puts up a poster saying 'leaving/staying kills babies' will win.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Neverdie)
    1) Tax money isn't your money, it's the government's money. You didn't donate it, you don't have any right to it.

2) After the success of the Conservatives' 'No to AV' leaflets, a mindblowing leaflet of completely made up lies causing a 30% swing, of course they're going to do it again. Whichever sides puts up a poster saying 'leaving/staying kills babies' will win.
    How can both sides win?

ReputationRep:
    How can both sides win?
    What have they both already put up conflicting posters saying an exit/remaining would kill babies?? That would be depressingly funny.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What have they both already put up conflicting posters saying an exit/remaining would kill babies?? That would be depressingly funny.
    Not literally, but both are saying that the NHS is better voting their way, which implicitly means staying and leaving kills babies.

ReputationRep:
    Not literally, but both are saying that the NHS is better voting their way, which implicitly means staying and leaving kills babies.
    Are those claims being written on a poster next to a newborn baby with tubes in it?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Are those claims being written on a poster next to a newborn baby with tubes in it?
    no babies yet to my knowledge

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.