Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeastOfSyracuse)
    Actually, the earth is an oblate spheroid (which is an "ellipsoid of revolution". And yes, you are trying to be pedantic (if you want to be a pedant though, you need to be accurate)

And yes, you are trying to tear down my criticism of flat earth beliefs by implying that because I said sphere not "oblate spheroid" then that is in some way comparable to believing the earth is flat.

But you seem determined to ignore the actual relevant point which is that while such a belief might have been understandable according to the knowledge of ancient people and within the constraints of their scientific understanding, there is no such justification for someone to hold to such a belief today
    Post in the physics section if you want, google will tell you it's an oblate spheroid but it is actually an elipsoid, they're not very different but they're certainly not spheres because they aren't perfectly round, and it is not pedantic because it is very important in mathematics to make calculations...

No, I am simply trying to teach you that science is not about being right or wrong, it's about method, you can't preach to the Arab world about the scientific method when you don't seem to understand it yourself. Flat earth theory is wrong, I can't believe I even had to say that, I thought that was assumed here, but it is absolutely not a religious argument, it can be used as such, but the reason the Quran and ancients believed it was not for religious reasons but for wrong explanations of evidence, which was actually perfectly valid in some cultures since it helped them make predictions. Hence why they believed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virgili)
    I never justified murder just pointed out it's not any different to trial by assault / castration / imprisonment and arguably a hanging hurts less than being stabbed
    The problem is you are trying to compare yesterday's Britain with today's Islam (which is essentially identical to seventh century Arabia).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    The problem is you are trying to compare yesterday's Britain with today's Islam (which is essentially identical to seventh century Arabia).

While some still live in the Britain they criticise and collect the money from the Government they condemn.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay people, he's a Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    Arab world today is not that similiar to how it was in seventh century Arabia, this is one of those things educated people seem to believe but is actually destroyed on closer analysis. For a start fundamentalist Islam is fairly new and the original practioners had lots of different interpreations and views which were openly discussed in Arabia (including on homosexuality) - I am in no way saying that most did not frown upon this practice, but seventh century Arabia was definitely a completely different place in terms of wealth and tolerance.

One of the reasons early Muslim conquerors refused to preach fundamentalist Islam was due to religious pluralism and fearing making the same mistakes many other empires made to impose Christianity which had led to their destruction.

ReputationRep:
    the vast and overwhelming majority of muslims are homophobes, and I don't just mean people who don't like gay people or gay marriage - it's a matter of belief that their god wants them dead.

ReputationRep:
    Arab world today is not that similiar to how it was in seventh century Arabia,.
    Modern Arabia is a damn sight nearer seventh century Arabia than modern Britain is to seventh century Britain, and far, far nearer the seventh century than the twenty-first.

ReputationRep:
    Post in the physics section if you want, google will tell you it's an oblate spheroid but it is actually an elipsoid, they're not very different but they're certainly not spheres because they aren't perfectly round, and it is not pedantic because it is very important in mathematics to make calculations.
    You seem to be confused. First you denied it's an oblate spheroid now you admit it's an oblate spheroid. And yet you are lecturing me about accuracy?

It's obviously a complete waste of time to debate with you. You are resorting to the basest rhetorical tactics to make a hollow and worthless point. It's embarrassing that you would try to compare my colloquial description of the earth as a sphere to belief in a flat earth, but it does show your dishonesty.

Your point is also incoherent in that the fact that ancient people believed the earth was flat and believed based on their flawed but internally consistent understanding of science has no actual bearing on a justification for Muslims in the modern world holding to such a belief, in spite of the fact evidence to the contrary is ubiquitously available, and doing so based on religious justifications (which they do; the belief of fundamentalist Muslims in a flat earth is based on religious texts)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Lol Muslims don't even celebrate Christmas. Why must focus particularly on Islam tho? Abit obsessive or do we need a scapegoat for everything wrong in life ?
    It's not scapegoating if you blame the actual culprit

Religion in general is worthy of criticism, but you don't come across many Christians, Buddhists, Jews or Sikhs justifying murder and cruelty from their scriptures, do you? It does happen, of course, but not all that often.
    Indeed. Only Islam actively attempts to convert the west through violence. That's not to say other religious fanatics don't, but in Islam it explicitly states in their scripture that it's Allah's will and that killing non-muslims is honorable. Islam is also one of the few religions that regards the words of a megalomaniacal, genocidal, racist, homophobic rapist as holy. This is why it is so violent.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be confused. First you denied it's an oblate spheroid now you admit it's an oblate spheroid. And yet you are lecturing me about accuracy?

It's obviously a complete waste of time to debate with you. You are resorting to the basest rhetorical tactics to make a hollow and worthless point. It's embarrassing that you would try to compare my colloquial description of the earth as a sphere to belief in a flat earth, but it does show your dishonesty.

Your point is also incoherent in that the fact that ancient people believed the earth was flat has no actual bearing on a justification for Muslims in the modern world holding to such a belief, in spite of the fact evidence to the contrary is ubiquitously available, and doing so based on religious justifications (which they do; the belief of fundamentalist Muslims in a flat earth is based on religious texts)
    Post in physics section? No? Ok then we're done.

Modern Arabia is a damn sight nearer seventh century Arabia than modern Britain is to seventh century Britain, and far, far nearer the seventh century than the twenty-first.
    Seventh century Arabia is closer to Britain than modern Arabia, if only for practical purposes the early Caliphate had no state religion for fear local pagans and Christians would revolt as many subjects had done to the Byzantine and other empires. Modern Arabia is broken due to corruption, ignorance and colonialism which has left a gap for the idiots to get into. Wahhabism is a modern invention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    It's not scapegoating if you blame the actual culprit

Indeed. Only Islam actively attempts to convert the west through violence. That's not to say other religious fanatics don't, but in Islam it explicitly states in their scripture that it's Allah's will and that killing non-muslims is honorable. Islam is also one of the few religions that regards the words of a megalomaniacal, genocidal, racist, homophobic rapist as holy. This is why it is so violent.

Game over.

Nothing more needs to be said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Lol Muslims don't even celebrate Christmas. Why must focus particularly on Islam tho? Abit obsessive or do we need a scapegoat for everything wrong in life ?
    Well other religions are not advocating the things that will destroy the liberties we have built up, and nor do they express such contempt for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Well other religions are not advocating the things that will destroy the liberties we have built up, and nor do they express such contempt for us.
    Well with the exception of fascists and communists... Religions in there own right though tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attempt)
    Game over.

Nothing more needs to be said.
    It's so sad that people think this is the reasoned view, Islam has existed for over 1000 years and there is an enormous amount of history, art, and science behind it, it's not just a case of one person believing one thing or one billion people believing one thing, there are lots of different beliefs, it's partly why there's so much conflict. Even different Caliphate leaders varied as much as different Popes or political leaders, you can't just put everyone under one stroke some leaders were extreme interpreters of Islam, others were more moderate, some were ruthless and stoned thousands, others were more tolerant.

ReputationRep:
    It's so sad that people think this is the reasoned view, Islam has existed for over 1000 years and there is an enormous amount of history, art, and science behind it, it's not just a case of one person believing one thing or one billion people believing one thing, there are lots of different beliefs, it's partly why there's so much conflict. Even different Caliphate leaders varied as much as different Popes or political leaders, you can't just put everyone under one stroke some leaders were extreme interpreters of Islam, others were more moderate.

Are you really gonna talk about Islamic history or the Islamic contributions to Science?

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attempt)
    Are you really gonna talk about Islamic history or the Islamic contributions to Science?

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay.
    I don't even know why I bother, clearly not a brain in that head to convince.

If you're actually interested go google the first caliph, it's a fascinating continent with many wars and good / bad people like any other, but some of us would rather just gloat in ignorance and pretend we know thing instead of actually taking an interest in them.

ReputationRep:
    Post in physics section? No? Ok then we're done.
    We were already done given you were babbling incoherently and were incapable of admitting your mistake

ReputationRep:
    We were already done given you were babbling incoherently and were incapable of admitting your mistake

Here's the essay I pulled the quote from earlier
    http://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscien...ityofwrong.htm

Read it you might actually learn something about science

ReputationRep:
    Read it you might actually learn something about science
    Says the guy who was telling us that there is an argument to be made for the flat earth :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know why I bother, clearly not a brain in that head to convince.

If you're actually interested go google the first caliph, it's a fascinating continent with many wars and good / bad people like any other, but some of us would rather just gloat in ignorance and pretend we know thing instead of actually taking an interest in them.

I made the mockery of your delusional comment about Islam's contribution to Science and it's History, because as a person who has been studying Abrahamaic theology for half a decade, it's safe to say that the only scientific contributions that the religion of Islam has made to the world is time travel.

In the sense that anyone who takes the religion seriously gets transported back to the 7th century, where ideas of the earth being flat and the urine of camels being medicinal weren't completely out of order.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.