Edexcel GCSE Mathematics May/June 2016 Official Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    Nope, i think you're wrong, I double checked.

Attachment 538513
    No i can assure you I am right this time

ReputationRep:
    If anyone needs help on a question, I'm here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahrez)
    No i can assure you I am right this time
    Sir, you are wrong. 100%

ReputationRep:
    Nope, i think you're wrong, I double checked.

Attachment 538513
    You wrote the question wrong it is x/2 not x-2/2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahrez)
    You wrote the question wrong it is x/2 not x-2/2
    (x-2)- (2/(x+1))=1 find X

Was the question YOU DID NOT SAY X/2 !

ReputationRep:
    (x-2)- (2/(x+1))=1 find X

Was the question YOU DID NOT SAY X/2 !
    sorry x/2

ReputationRep:
    Name:  iyhWWuz.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  402.6 KB
    (Original post by mahrez)
    sorry x/2
    are you happy now damn it!

ReputationRep:
    Listen here u ****ing dickheads I know one of u got the mark scheme so whip it out and put it on the board cuz wallahi if u don't i knows some Somalians who like white boys yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hsshhs)
    Listen here u ****ing dickheads I know one of u got the mark scheme so whip it out and put it on the board cuz wallahi if u don't i knows some Somalians who like white boys yeah
    Literally have no clue what you're trying to say... in between all the insults

ReputationRep:
    Guyyyyys when I'm solving a quadratic equation how I decide which numbers to take away? E.g. if I have 4x + 5 = 6x - 15, how do I know whether to take away 5 or take away 15? I tried taking away 5 and I ended up getting - 1 x = 20!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenmang0)
    Guyyyyys when I'm solving a quadratic equation how I decide which numbers to take away? E.g. if I have 4x + 5 = 6x - 15, how do I know whether to take away 5 or take away 15? I tried taking away 5 and I ended up getting - 1 x = 20!
    Name:  3z82uzh.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  215.2 KB

Understand how I did this?

ReputationRep:
    That isn't a quadratic, a quadratic is an equation with a squared term like x^2 + 2x +1 = 0

Also, it doesn't really which side you move the numbers or Xs as you end up with the same answer at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  3z82uzh.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  215.2 KB

Understand how I did this?
    I took away 4x from both sides to get 20 then halved that to get x. But I don't understand how to decide to solve it in that way? What makes you look at the equation and think, 'I will take away 4x'?

ReputationRep:
    I took away 4x from both sides to get 20 then halved that to get x. But I don't understand how to decide to solve it in that way? What makes you look at the equation and think, 'I will take away 4x'?
    Because 6x is bigger than 4x, It doesn't matter which way you do it, I just just find working with -x to be unnecessary.

So usually work with the side that has the biggest x value, try to get the x's on that side.

ReputationRep:
    Because 6x is bigger than 4x, It doesn't matter which way you do it, I just just find working with -x to be unnecessary.

So usually work with the side that has the biggest x value, try to get the x's on that side.
    Say if I ended up with that answer though, how would I get x from -1x?

ReputationRep:
    Well what's x multiplied by 1, it's just going to be x. 2*1= 2, etc...
    So -1x = -x, if x doesn't have a co-efficent it's implied that it's 1 and doesn't need to be wrote next to it.

ReputationRep:
    Say if I ended up with that answer though, how would I get x from -1x?
    4 -6 = -2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/gcsepapers.htm

If you scroll to the bottom of this page they're there
    Mr Barton maths is sooo good!
    I love his solutions, as unlike the mark scheme it shows working out aswell

ReputationRep:
    Guys no matter how hard or easy the exam is tomorrow.kick up a fuss like people did last year.apart from the hannah's sweets the paper was easy and yet edexcel dropped the grade boundaries by 7 marks.in maths thats a big deal.for the sake of helping me secure an a* in maths and thousands of other who may narrowly miss their wanted grade by 1 mark due to silly mistakes.even if your good at maths, do it for the greater good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustJannah)
    Mr Barton maths is sooo good!
    I love his solutions, as unlike the mark scheme it shows working out aswell
    Really? I'm the opposite - I hate his solutions! I find mistakes in them sometimes...not that helpful (although the actual mark schemes help me out).
    My teacher actually said that 'he must have no life as all he does is make maths solutions' 😂

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.